EmKUW9g.png

HMpahr4.png

Texture tests for tekzy map
Demo for reference

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
concrete wont fit the theme too much outside of the finale, but light wood will probably happen

def gonna try and make sure theres some good contrast in the palette

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
HMpahr4.png

Texture tests for tekzy map
Demo for reference

I'm not sure what Iceland's cliffs actually look like, but those look incredibly dark, and I hope that at some point you will include a lighter blend texture with them. You might need the variation. (See: Yukon)
The custom mining rock skins seem to work pretty well, but I do wish they were a different rock model because they are so commonly used. It's too bad TF2 doesn't have more rock assets to abuse.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I'm not sure what Iceland's cliffs actually look like, but those look incredibly dark, and I hope that at some point you will include a lighter blend texture with them. You might need the variation. (See: Yukon)
The custom mining rock skins seem to work pretty well, but I do wish they were a different rock model because they are so commonly used. It's too bad TF2 doesn't have more rock assets to abuse.
iceland's cliffs are like solid black cause the entire landmass is volcanic rock, somewhat the reason i chose the theme, feels unique

the rocks are temporary tho, wanna get some basalt columns for a final version

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
I did some work on Epicenter last.

I also fixed the issues you guys had with the last few screenshots, haven't taken new ones yet.
*snip*

Heres an idea for the wooden underconstruction building: Have more vertical beams similar to this:

house-wooden-frame-2227078.jpg

As I said before, the framework you have atm looks like it cant even support its own weight.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
~structure stuff~

Let's talk about structure. Not because what you're doing is inherently wrong, but because I think a lot of people don't understand how structures work on a more fundamental level, and I think people could benefit a lot from understanding some of this.

LHUm0sH.jpg

I drew these diagrams out of order. Oops.

Let's start with B, which is more or less a very common issue with structures - you build something tall and skinny, and it wants to fall over when wind blows on it. We'll call this a lateral force, because it goes side to side instead of in the direction of gravity.

This principle carries over to diagram D: you build a rectangular frame and fill it with vertical pieces, but it'll still skew over with some lateral force applied. This is because, even though you've added some horizontal members to your frame, they don't "carry" the force into the ground. The only thing in this structure that will keep it from completely collapsing is in the joints between the pieces. Technically, this would be a stable frame if you made the joints really strong, but that's a dumb idea because beams are really good at resisting force in their axis and we should take advantage of that.

C is an example of how we can do just that. A diagonal beam (also known as a "brace") allows us to transfer that lateral force into the ground. Effectively, when a vertical beam only resists gravitational forces and a horizontal beam only resists lateral forces, a diagonal beam resists both.

A is another example of how to resist lateral forces, which is to just make a solid wall. A solid rectangle more or less has the diagonal brace inside of it already, plus every other direction of "beam" you can imagine. We can cut some holes in this wall and get away with it as long as we're careful and don't cut too many holes (kinda sorta). You can ignore the arrows on this diagram. I'm not really sure why I drew them.

Note how there are diagonal braces in the construction photo Jusa shared and also how they sometimes get in the way of where doors and windows will be placed. These are temporary braces to hold up the structure which will be taken out once the building has solid walls that provide additional structural support. That's not to say that diagonal braces are only ever temporary, but you'll see them used that way in conventional wood construction quite often.

The last example is E, which is more or less the "generic" wood joinery that gets used a lot for artistic flavor. It's a very inexact science on how this works, but the idea is more or less that the horizontal "inbetweeners" press up against the middle of the vertical pieces, meaning that the vertical pieces would need to actually bend for the entire wall to skew like we see in D. I think this is usually done when construction is cheap and A isn't a valid solution because the wall isn't going to be providing much lateral force resistance, but I'm not really sure.

tl;dr: You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as it looks like it'll stand up, but understanding how this sort of stuff works is good for making things that "speak the language" without directly copying references.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I think this is usually done when construction is cheap and A isn't a valid solution because the wall isn't going to be providing much lateral force resistance, but I'm not really sure.

It's so you can always have space to nail the 2x4s in, plus room to adjust installation/position of wiring/plumbing/etc while also providing stability.

Source: My mum's side of the family has a lot of home industry folks (from redecorators & restorers to architects, framers, realtors, etc). :p

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Let's talk about structure. Not because what you're doing is inherently wrong, but because I think a lot of people don't understand how structures work on a more fundamental level, and I think people could benefit a lot from understanding some of this.

LHUm0sH.jpg

I drew these diagrams out of order. Oops.

Let's start with B, which is more or less a very common issue with structures - you build something tall and skinny, and it wants to fall over when wind blows on it. We'll call this a lateral force, because it goes side to side instead of in the direction of gravity.

This principle carries over to diagram D: you build a rectangular frame and fill it with vertical pieces, but it'll still skew over with some lateral force applied. This is because, even though you've added some horizontal members to your frame, they don't "carry" the force into the ground. The only thing in this structure that will keep it from completely collapsing is in the joints between the pieces. Technically, this would be a stable frame if you made the joints really strong, but that's a dumb idea because beams are really good at resisting force in their axis and we should take advantage of that.

C is an example of how we can do just that. A diagonal beam (also known as a "brace") allows us to transfer that lateral force into the ground. Effectively, when a vertical beam only resists gravitational forces and a horizontal beam only resists lateral forces, a diagonal beam resists both.

A is another example of how to resist lateral forces, which is to just make a solid wall. A solid rectangle more or less has the diagonal brace inside of it already, plus every other direction of "beam" you can imagine. We can cut some holes in this wall and get away with it as long as we're careful and don't cut too many holes (kinda sorta). You can ignore the arrows on this diagram. I'm not really sure why I drew them.

Note how there are diagonal braces in the construction photo Jusa shared and also how they sometimes get in the way of where doors and windows will be placed. These are temporary braces to hold up the structure which will be taken out once the building has solid walls that provide additional structural support. That's not to say that diagonal braces are only ever temporary, but you'll see them used that way in conventional wood construction quite often.

The last example is E, which is more or less the "generic" wood joinery that gets used a lot for artistic flavor. It's a very inexact science on how this works, but the idea is more or less that the horizontal "inbetweeners" press up against the middle of the vertical pieces, meaning that the vertical pieces would need to actually bend for the entire wall to skew like we see in D. I think this is usually done when construction is cheap and A isn't a valid solution because the wall isn't going to be providing much lateral force resistance, but I'm not really sure.

tl;dr: You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as it looks like it'll stand up, but understanding how this sort of stuff works is good for making things that "speak the language" without directly copying references.

civil engineering 101: if it looks like it could fall over, it probably will. (bar counter-levers and other fancy stuff like that, but lets not get too technical)

got my initial revision of C for my ASym entry pretty much done today :)

39kcOTM.jpg

Gale

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2016
I'm making a 5CP map, but Just the 2nd point is being worked on for now! I want to make sure every point is strong and fun to play in on their own before moving onto anything else(no roofs for now either, until I work out the theme):

78BAB92BF01C735381E8BA741714DD98E417B6BF

1AB06A8C15DE77D94CD5E6E96A8BA1A1918FFC28

4A0A35E70D9F67E17701C4E2625CF3F82157F345

1AAECB9050E054B481B9695C525139072557EBFE

Last edited: