[TUTORIAL] Blender and the Source Engine

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Introduction

After numerous requests and questions posed in the group chat (not specifically directed to me), it seems high time that someone took a hold of the situation and created a fully fledged tutorial for modelling for the source engine using Blender. Please note that this tutorial assumes a basic knowledge of how to use Blender 3D and an image editor of your choice. If any corrections or additions are posted in the comments, I will add them to the guide. Feel free to ask any questions, and i'll try my best to help.

Programs

Required Programs
Recommended Programs
How to install the Blender Source Tools

Download the Blender Source Tools, but do not unzip the archive.

Then In Blender:

1. Select File > User Preferences

2. Move to the Addons tab

3. Click Install From File... in the bottom of the window

4. Find the downloaded zip file and select it, then click ‘Install from File…’

5. Under 'Categories' on the left, click 'Import-Export'

6. Find 'Blender Source Tools' in the list and check the tickbox. Wait a moment for activation to complete.

7. Click Save User Settings and close the window.
(note that if you update blender you may need to reinstall the Blender Source Tools)

Part 1: Creating a simple static prop

For this section of the tutorial we will be creating a simple snow shovel.

Create a new file in blender and delete all the default items. It's worth noting that 1 blender unit = 1 hammer unit, which means that the model will appear very large in blender. It is therefore worth increasing the view back clipping plane. To do this press 'N', and then under 'View', change the 'Clip->End' to 10000. We can now proceed with modelling our Shovel. For now I won't go into modelling methods, as there are plenty of existing tutorials online, however in the future I may update this section with a video tutorial of the modelling process.

Now that we have something like this:

RydGnhQ.png

we need to sort out our smoothing. To do this select the model and set the shading to smooth, and add an edge split modifier. This modifier is what determines our smoothing groups. We can either use the automated 'Edge Angle' field to determine which edges are sharp, or we can do the same task manually and with significantly more precision using the 'Sharp Edges' checkbox. To determine a sharp edge, select an edge in edit mode, press 'Ctrl+E', and click 'Mark Sharp'.

Now that our reference model is complete we can start to texture it. The first step for this process is to UV map our geometry. Switch to the 'UV Editing' View-port Configuration, then in edit mode use the tools available by pressing 'U' to unwrap your model. (To mark a uv seam select an edge, press 'Ctrl+E' and click 'Mark Seam'. A good guideline for this stage is to get each UV island to have a similar pixel density, so each island should roughly correspond to the size of the faces it represents. The islands should not share UV space due to prop light-map and ambient occlusion baking related issues. You should also aim to leave a small gap between islands in order to prevent mipmap related artifacts. We should end up with something similar to this.

lKnKJpa.png

Now that we have our model unwrapped it's time to bake ambient occlusion. This is artificial lighting which we use as a base during texturing. In edit mode, select all of your model by pressing 'A', then in the UV pane of the view-port press '+ New'

UYL9zGK.png

and click 'OK'. Next switch back into 'Default' view and on the right hand panel, select the Camera icon tab, scroll down to 'Bake', switch the 'Bake Mode' to 'Ambient Occlusion', the 'Margin' to 4, and then click 'Bake'. Switch the viewport shading mode to Textured and you should see AO baked onto the model. Now go back into UV Editing mode and export your AO bake and UV Maps from the 'Image' and UV's tab respectively.

You can now open up your exported bake and map in PhotoShop and get texturing. A graphics tablet is not essential during this stage, but it does make life a lot easier. I'm not going to go into texturing processes here, but a great guide can be found over on polycount. It's worth noting that map props tend to be a bit more detailed in their textures than players or cosmetics. A quick way to help with this is to add a slight Gaussian noise filter as an overlay layer, but this should be complemented with extra painted detail as well. You can use the alpha channel of the texture for a specular map, where white is fully reflective and black is fully matte.

Once you've created your texture/ textures, save them as a .tga at 32 bit/pixel. Back in blender select all your models faces, then click 'Image—>Open Image' and select your diffuse texture. Your model should then show your texture in the textured view. In my case, it looks like this.

K7iBYRw.png

We now need to prepare our model for exporting to source. First go into default view, and add a material named exactly the same as your texture. My texture is named “snow_shovel_diffuse.tga”, so that's what I will call the material. If your model requires multiple material slots, simply add another material named appropriately and assign the corresponding faces to each material.

lWjC1M9.png

We also want to name the object, I will call mine “snow_shovel_reference”.

Pb0jlju.png

Now that we have the reference model complete, we need to make our LODs. First copy your model and rename it to “snow_shovel_reference_lod1”. Next I use the ‘Decimate’ modifier to automatically generate an LOD.

by2M83F.png

This can also be done manually for a better result, but doing so requires significantly more work. Repeat this process for as many LODs as you want. We also need to make a collision model. To do this create a cube and size it to the shovel’s bucket. Switch to edit mode, then select all and press ‘Shift+D’ to duplicate the cube and resize it to fit another part of the model. Note that each piece doesn’t have to be a cube, as long as it is convex and a sealed solid. Repeat this until you have something looking like this. Note that all parts of the collision mesh must be within the same model.

nhGBYKK.png

Then select the physics model, set it to smooth shading, and name it “snow_shovel_physics”.

We can now proceed with exporting the models. Switch to the ‘Scene’ tab on the right hand menu and scroll down to the ‘Source Engine Export’ tab. Select ‘SMD’ and choose where you want the SMDs to be saved in the ‘Export Path Field’.

stsvkvf.png

Click ‘Export’, then ‘Scene Export’. navigate to the destination folder you just chose in windows explorer, then duplicate “snow_shovel_reference.smd” and rename the copy to “idle.smd”.

Next we’re going to create our material. Open VTFEdit and click ‘File->Import’ and choose the .tga file you created earlier. In the ‘VTF options’ dialogue which pops up, I use these settings:

pFgS5OQ.png
MNIEluW.png

Click ‘OK’ and your texture should appear in the viewport., then select ‘File->Save As...’ and choose a sensible location in “tf/materials/models” in the game files. I will use “tf/materials/models/props_urban/snow_shovel/”. Save the vtf as the same name you chose for the material in blender (minus the .tga). Next click ‘Tools-Create VMT File…’, set ‘Shader’ as ‘VertexLitGeneric’, select/deselect any other options you need, then click ‘Create’, then ‘Save’, then ‘Close’. Open the .vmt file saved in the location you just chose, it should look similar to this:

hazpA1u.png

There are a lot of different options that can be added to determine the materials behavior, but these are the most essential:

7XzAZit.png

check this page for detailed descriptions of the commands available

We can now write our QC file. This is a plain text document which tells the compiler (GUIStudioMDL) what to do with our model and material/s. A handy shortcut to this stage is to use GCFScape and Crowbar to decompile a similar existing model’s QC to use, but I’ll be going through the full process. A list of parameters can be found here.

Create a new document in Notepad++, and save it with your .smds as “snow_shovel.qc” with ‘File Type’ Set to ‘All Types’. Each parameter should begin on a new line for the sake of legibility.

First we need

$modelname “props_urban\snow_shovel\snow_shovel.mdl”

This parameter tells the compiler where to place the .mdl file (in relation to tf/models), and what to name it.

Next we add

$staticprop

This tells the compiler that the model can be used as a prop_static.

Next is

$bodygroup “Body”

{

Studio “snow_shovel_reference.smd”
}

This tells the compiler which .smd to use as lod 0.

Now we want

$lod 10

{

replacemodel “snow_shovel_reference.smd” “snow_shovel_reference_lod1.smd”
}

The number tells source at what distance to change the lod, and replacemodel defines which .smds to switch between.

Next comes

$cdmaterials “models\props_urban\snow_shovel”

This needs to be the path from tf/materials to the folder where your .vmt is contained

If you have multiple skins, use

$texturegroup skinfamilies

{

{ "snow_shovel_diffuse" }

{ "snow_shovel_diffuse_b" }

{ "snow_shovel_diffuse_c" }

{ "snow_shovel_diffuse_d" }

}

Where the names within the brackets are the names of each .vmt.

Now add

$surfaceprop “metal”

This defines how the models should behave when shot. Replace ‘metal’ with whichever surface prop you like.

Now we need

$sequence “idle” “idle.smd”{

fps 30
}

This tells the compiler which .smd to use as the idle animation sequence.

Finally we add

$collisionmodel "snow_shovel_physics.smd"
{

$mass 1.75

$inertia 1

$damping 0

$rotdamping 0

$concave
}
This tells the compiler which .smd to use as the collision model. $mass defines the objects mass in kg, $inertia, $damping and $rotdamping are multipliers of their respective parameters, and $concave tells the compiler that the collisionmodel is concave (remember that each element must be convex)

Once all these are added, and our document is saved, our .QC should look similar to this:

a2RUKcM.png

Now we can set up GUIStudioMDL for compiling. The first time you run GUIStudioMDL you will get a message telling you that your SDK Tool Paths aren't yet set. What you need to do is tell it where the studiomdl.exe is located for Orange Box based games. Click ‘Config->Set Orange Box Tools Path…” then navigate to and select the folder containing studiomdl.exe. This is usually located in “TeamFortress2\bin”. Under ‘SDK Version’ in the main GUIStudioMDL window, select ‘Orange Box’ then click ‘Add’ under ‘Target Mode or “GameInfo” path’. Select ‘gameinfo.txt’ located in “Team Fortress 2/tf”. “Team Fortress 2” should now show in the ‘Target Mode or “GameInfo” path’ dropdown.

Click ‘File->Load QC File…’ and select ‘snow_shovel.qc’, then click compile. If everything has been setup correctly, the window should look like this:

mxLr2zF.png

and your model should be compiled. To check, navigate to “tf/models/props_urban/snow_shovel” and open “snow_shovel.mdl” in hlmv. It should look like this:

Q2Z3e9q.png

Our model is now ready for use.

Part 2: Creating an animated prop

To be added at a later date.

Thanks to Wormatty for some help proofreading.

Last edited:

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
for 3ds, for blender, for wtf ever except maya
though i heard it's possible to convert from maya to blender

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
we need to sort out our smoothing. To do this select the model and set the shading to smooth, and add an edge split modifier. This modifier is what determines our smoothing groups. We can either use the automated 'Edge Angle' field to determine which edges are sharp, or we can do the same task manually and with significantly more precision using the 'Sharp Edges' checkbox. To determine a sharp edge, select an edge in edit mode, press 'Ctrl+E', and click 'Mark Sharp'.
Or you just go to Object Data > Normals and check "Auto Smooth" and also set the angle there. No modifiers needed.
You should also aim to leave a small gap between islands in order to facilitate AO baking.
AO baking isn't a reason to leave gaps between UV-Islands. The real reason is pixels bleeding over while playing in low texture resolution. (-> mipmap related problem) I would also recommend a bigger margin because, well, pixel bleeding.
You also didn't mention that the material needs to be entirely white for baking to work correctly.
Now that we have the reference model complete, we need to make our LODs. First copy your model and rename it to “snow_shovel_reference_lod1”. Next I use the ‘Decimate’ modifier to automatically generate an LOD.
You mentioned that making it manually gives a better result. Yes, it does by a million times over. A great guide on making LODs can be found on the VDC.

I also like how you only explain how to use things by their shortcut, but never in which menu they are. I know everyone always says "Blender is a program where you need to know a million shortcuts" but somehow I am able to do stuff without knowing a single one.

Remind me to finish this thing up later, I dont have time.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Or you just go to Object Data > Normals and check "Auto Smooth" and also set the angle there. No modifiers needed.

cool, didn't know of that trick

The real reason is pixels bleeding over while playing in low texture resolution

corrected

ou also didn't mention that the material needs to be entirely white for baking to work correctly.

not true

I also like how you only explain how to use things by their shortcut, but never in which menu they are

no need to be sarcastic, I talk about shortcuts because that's how i know my way around Blender. Where I use the menus, I say.

Jul 26, 2015
GUIstudioMDL gave me an error when I had

Code:
$sequence “idle” “idle.smd”
{

fps 30
}

in the qc file, I had to change it to

Code:
$sequence “idle” “idle.smd”{

fps 30
}

Just letting you know because you had it the first way in the final image.

Another problem, I can't seem to get the collision model to work right. GUIstudioMDL says "Error with convex elements of model_physics.smd, building single convex!!!!" I have the collision model made of multiple objects grouped together in blender.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015

trgtdron

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2016
Thank you Maccy, I have been using blender for a long time and didnt know there was an addon. Much appreciated.

Jul 26, 2015
Just in case anyone else has the problem I was having above, the issue was that the compiler kept giving the error:

Code:
Error with convex elements of (model)_physics.smd, building single convex!!!!

The problem was that the model was simply much too small for the game and created an error trying to build the collision model.