Idomay

CP Idomay a1c

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Idomay - 2cp domination

A 2cp domination map where only one point opens at a time. BLU and RED fight over A, then B. If both teams capture one point, routes between the two points open, and both teams race to capture the other team's point.

Developed somewhat in response to Sideshow's 5CP rant, with the gamemode designed to reward offensive play over defensive play.

Custom content includes recolored Egypt textures, which can be found here. I didn't bother fixing the reflection colors, so VRAD will bounce yellow light off of these. I plan on replacing them in due time.

Created for Mayann Project consideration.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Sorta. It's more like two "rounds" of KotH, except the round ends as soon as the point is captured. If both teams win a round, then there is a third tiebreaker round that works like Standin (except each team already owns a point).

Note that the map doesn't actually have proper rounds like a multi-stage map would. There are 30 second setup periods between each unlock/capture cycle.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Sorta. It's more like two "rounds" of KotH, except the round ends as soon as the point is captured. If both teams win a round, then there is a third tiebreaker round that works like Standin (except each team already owns a point).

Note that the map doesn't actually have proper rounds like a multi-stage map would. There are 30 second setup periods between each unlock/capture cycle.
So, this is a new ''gamemode''?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
This gamemode was specifically made in response to an analysis of flaws in 5cp from Sideshow (TF2 competitive scene member), in which he talked about how defensive play in 5cp can lead to matches being not fun to play or watch. I couldn't think of an existing gamemode that would almost exclusively reward offensive play over defensive play, so I made one that I hope will do just that.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
a1c

-adjusted cap times to be shorter
-adjusted spawn times to be a bit longer
-adjusted setup times to generally be shorter (no setup at round start)
-added small platform to side of A cap platform
-gates between A and B open when B opens

These are just quick fixes, no layout changes. I have much more substantial changes in mind for a2.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
a2 revision notes for myself (as well as others, because I think public devlogs are a good thing)

overall:
-scaling is a bit too large. walk times to points are long, both from spawn and the "yards" of each point area
-opening gates between points on B's opening was a bad idea, just gives the winning team a bigger advantage
-multistage seems like the way to go, but that takes a long time for a map that's supposed to play quickly
-teleporting everyone back to spawn as soon as the point is capped seems bad, people like humiliation
-solution: provide an optional teleport directly back to spawn when the point is capped, accessible to both teams. also a fun and unique excuse for spytech
-the tiebreakers really just arent that fun. consider making this a proper 2cp domination where the winner of A gets an advantage over B (smells like steamroll!) or add a C point (seems like the better option)
-people went to go attack A during the setup time for B. Make it really obvious which way you're supposed to go - draw paths on the ground, signs that light up, idk. would be another fun excuse for spytech/dynamic elements of any kind, really

A:
-move platform directly into the cliffside so you dont have to cross a tiny bridge to get on it
-this also eliminates the area under the bridge, which is easily the worst part of the whole map. it's directly in the middle of the fighting area, but it effectively acts as a flank since nobody wants to be there, and theres already many other better routes onto the point that you would've had the option to take before you ended up in this shitty, shitty spot
-make the side flank onto the cliff not suck
-move cap level down to ground level (or bring ground up to cap level), being in that little trench area sucks
-there isnt really a good main fighting area, fighting is very divided or focused on the point (which isnt a great area to fight at the moment)
-maybe remove team-side cliffs, have spawns slope downward to point area?

B:
-same problem as A where there isnt a good main fighting area, you're either on the point (a scary place to be) or in mazy layout hell
-move point closer to middle rather than far out
-consider removing temple height advantage, or making it less significant
-porch exit sucks
-low area as a whole sucks, really

I probably wont get around to these changes for a while since I have a few other projects I need to work on in the next coming days, but I'm aiming to have a2 before next weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Ya I thought the combat on A was generally okay: showing that you do need to be offensive or you will be flanked by the people who get health packs along the side routes, or from people from the roof route. But as you saw too the team that took A would have the uber advantage and would use it immediately on the losing team as they left their unlocking spawn door when B opened.

Maybe for that one door that winners-of-A-take-to-immediately-attack-the-other-team could be one team only? Like if this route had a 'no entry' sign on it from A's perspective, and then when it opened was the big orange and black gate to signify it can open and close?

when B is closed (closed hand to show it won't open from this side?):
ougCfzT.jpg

and then when B is opened (opens for red team only):
TfRlMwd.jpg

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
@Egan

While I like that idea, I'm hesitant to have routes open up between points at all. They originally didn't open until the tie-breaker situation, but people wanted them to open earlier so that you could go directly from A to B. However:

a) This provides a direct advantage to whoever captures A, since they have more strategic options into approaching B. This seems bad for steamroll reasons.
b) In the new version, people mentioned that they'd like to just teleport back to spawn.

So, while I think it's entirely possible to design the map around these routes and make the concept work, I think it gets in the way of the fast and focused nature of the map. I'm also not a fan of the tie-breaker situation for Gravelpit Syndrome reasons, and the tie-breaker was the entire reason the doors were ever introduced, so I'm thinking I'll end up getting rid of them both.