Temper

KotH Temper RC2-reupload

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
Subscribe to this map on the Steam workshop here!

As of today (July 9th 2015), the version of koth_temper is Release Candidate 1. It's very likely that the only updates to this map from now on will be bugfixes.

Thanks go out to:
Everyone involved in the TF2Maps Construction pack
Everyone on TF2Maps for the oodles of tutorials and resources you can find here. I'm still overwhelmed.
A Boojum Snark for the Ultimate Mapping Resource pack
Void and Leminnes for some textures
[WW] SethG for custom [WW] Logos.
Ravidge for the colored metal materials
iiboharz for the TF2Maps Workshop ressources

Old post:
Hello everyone,

I'm DrLambda and this is my first TF2 map. Let me explain: Last time i've been mapping, the engine of choice was still GoldSrc, and even my most recent release is older than TF2. Recently, i got into TF2, and whenever i join a community, i try to find out how to add new stuff. I was really happy to find out that you still map for TF2 in Hammer, although not much of my wisdom was usable in the new context.
This map is my learning ground. I'm still pretty much learning the basics. Good usage of props, displacements and pretty much everything aside from brushwork, all while being overwhelmed by the options the engine gives you (And also the differences in development modes.)
Because i always need a good reason to make a map, this one was planned for a small LAN with friends, but after i continued to pour hours upon hours into the project, i really wanted to show off what i had to the rest of the world.
But be warned: The map is really small. Like REALLY small. We are going to play it with 6v6 max, and it shows. I tested with more players a few times, and slaughterfest is the best description for the gameplay in that case, although i removed a few obvious spam areas since then.

My plan is to actually finish this map before starting a "real" project, and i'd be happy if this map is seen by a few more people than the ones on my LAN party. I hope it shows that i'm not a lost case. Maybe it makes it easier to find help if i ever need it for my real maps. Maybe not, but who knows without trying, right?

Oh, the filesize is kinda big because i make extensive use of the Construction pack.

Last edited:

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015

mdpenguino

L1: Registered
Jan 4, 2015
Thanks for that. I'll look into it. I used a handwritten script for it until now, because i'm mostly running TF2 on a very slow PC.

Ah, yeah, I don't think that a few hq screenshots would slow it down too much, but I don't know that much about computers, all I know is that I can make maps on them and play them.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
You don't need to worry much about computer performance when taking screenshots.

Yeah, what i meant is that i use a script rather than the menu to raise the quality, and i probably forgot to add a a few things (especially anti-aliasing.)

I'm currently trying to find out why my packed map has infinite numbers of model errors. Expect a new file (and screenshots) soon.

*edit: New screenshots edited in.

*edit²: New file in download.

Last edited:

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
The Harvest trees and the construction pack stuff together. Never thought of that.
It looks really good!
Out of curiosity- what skybox are you using? The dustbowl one?

Yeah, it's Dustbowl. That might change once i get more time for the map borders though. Haven't put much thought in it until now, basically just trying out some displacements over there and checking how close i can put the buildings (not as close as in this version, it looks like ;) )

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
20150331-redspawn01.jpg

20150331-redspawn02.jpg

I took some time and made some sweet sweet love to the interior of the red spawn.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
So, i gave the outer area of the red spawn an art pass and began changing the red building (only interior of the first floor right now.)
[Removed old screenshots]

I also changed the outer buildings a bit and added more cables. Screenshot is a bit outdated, i fixed the roof already.
[Removed old screenshots]

Getting pretty close to B4, maybe even this weekend.

Last edited:

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
B4 out
New screenshots, although taken on an even worse pc than usual ;)

b4:
Details in red spawnroom
Details on red spawnbuilding
Fixing some brush errors on the two small buildings in the center border (Note to self: Never use window008.mdl again)
Fixed clipping errors on red and blue spawn
New Cables from red spawn
Two prop_physic_multiplayer cones in center
Fixed lightning on some models
Render distances for many models
Changed min DirectX Version of some models to min
Made the small roof overhang on the outer buildings from the spawn func_illusionary so it's easier to jump on the roof from below.
Fixed texture alignment of the roof on blue's outer building
Added some detail to the towers
New detailing on both outer buildings
New detailing and textures on red building
More areaportals
Fixed visibility of linked areaportals
New details under the red ramp
New detailing on the towers
Many stairs clipped and changed to func_detail
Removed the skybox buildings for now. No reason to make the file size even larger while the 3dsky still looks like ass.
Absolutely necessary easter egg room in blue outer building - pretty much a placeholder of things to come
More clipping
More optimization
Completed the outer areas

Known bugs
Error in overlay at red spawn
Physics in skybox
One poster overlay at red building not showing
Small clipping error at the two points far away from spawn

Missing features
Sounds
3d skybox
More gameplay clipping
???

The detailing on the playable area is pretty much finished (except for the easter egg room behind the glass,) so please let me know of any bugs you can find. Thank you!

marcotc

L1: Registered
Apr 15, 2015
Bloom/HDR too bright

I have just loaded b4 and noticed that. if you use HDR/Bloom, the lights are too bright, specially the point.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
PROGRESS! I kinda fixed that ugly bug with the bright control point and the lighting. I can't get it to work if mat_bumpmap is off, but i'm going to ignore it for now (I'd actually prefer to have a not-shiny CP like on badlands, but i have no idea how to do it, and neither the tutorials nor the decompiled map seem to be helping there.)

I also added a 3d skybox, although it's kinda bland and dustbowly right now. As soon as inspiration strikes, i might completely change it.
[Screenshots edited out.]

And contrary to what i said earlier, i changed some gameplay elements. First, i added a small ramp to the truckbeds, so you can get on the truck without jumping if you're coming from spawn. (Screenshot from a fresh compile, ignore the shiny CP, haven't built cubemaps.)

I also completely changed the spawn exit to the inside of the house and replaced the small stairs with a big ramp, and moved the doorways around to help with the flow. Not much detailing here right now.

Last edited:

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
B6 released. Changed a lot, a small changelog can be found in the first post.

This is it, basically. I'm pretty sure there will be no beta 7. I'm still waiting for a shameless plug poster for the "clan" hosting the LAN where this is going to be played to be finished so i can build it in, and i will probably change a few aesthetics, but i don't think anything will change gameplay wise (I MIGHT tweak the spawn timers though.)

It became a small fun map, and i learned a lot of new things about mapping, so i consider it a success.
Like i said, i won't run this through imps or game days because it is simply too small for a 24 player server (although it has enough player spawns for 32 if you want to go wild.) Should you ever have a reason to play with just a few guys, feel free to give this a shot, it sure is fun for a while.

Hope a few of you like it, i sure had fun creating it. You can expect a R1 in like the second week of June, after the LAN party, but if you have any feedback still to give, go for it. I'll be thankful.

shamelessplug.jpg

Last edited:

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Construction Pack? Finished map??? Madness I'd say!

Though this looks purty gud, I oughtta load this up on a server

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Map download is still b4.