WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Pigzit

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2017
https://imgur.com/a/TAe9W
Do you think any of these sightlines are too long? If so, how do you suppose I fix them? Setting is an intercity downtown area. I was thinking of adding cars on the road, but then snipers could just climb on them. I also thought about a truck/train crash, but I don't think I have enough room to make flanks around it. Any ideas?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
https://imgur.com/a/TAe9W
Do you think any of these sightlines are too long? If so, how do you suppose I fix them? Setting is an intercity downtown area. I was thinking of adding cars on the road, but then snipers could just climb on them. I also thought about a truck/train crash, but I don't think I have enough room to make flanks around it. Any ideas?
Dude, that third sightlines is hella too long. First two look bad, but depending on the layout may be tolerable.

One way to fix sightlines is to add tall buildings (after all, downtown city areas have lots of these), and rather than making long, straight roads, make your roads curve and weave around buildings.

Pigzit

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2017
Dude, that third sightlines is hella too long. First two look bad, but depending on the layout may be tolerable.

One way to fix sightlines is to add tall buildings (after all, downtown city areas have lots of these), and rather than making long, straight roads, make your roads curve and weave around buildings.

Sounds good. My only problem is that if I have one road weaving around a bunch of buildings, it seems weird because most buildings/cities are built on a grid, and/or have more than one way to get somewhere. I'm modeling it off of the Pittsburgh uptown area, near Duquesne University, if you want some idea as to what I'm trying to make.
However, I do definitely want to fix that last uphill. I just don't really know how. I might make some kind of T bone intersection, and block off the long uphill with barriers or a fence. How does that sound?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Sounds good. My only problem is that if I have one road weaving around a bunch of buildings, it seems weird because most buildings/cities are built on a grid, and/or have more than one way to get somewhere. I'm modeling it off of the Pittsburgh uptown area, near Duquesne University, if you want some idea as to what I'm trying to make.
However, I do definitely want to fix that last uphill. I just don't really know how. I might make some kind of T bone intersection, and block off the long uphill with barriers or a fence. How does that sound?
T- intersections will probably be a good idea, but a grid-based layout likely won't work well gameplay-wise in TF2. I'd recommend taking a good look at koth_king, another city map that kind of has a flexible grid structure and makes it work well. Additionally, you can diversify your gameplay by taking parts of your map into a building- I think you'll find you have more layout freedom there.

Be careful of not falling into the trap of getting so dedicated to your map's visual theme that you end up being unable or unwilling to make important gameplay changes, resulting in a map with glaring issues. This can happen pretty easily.

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
make it a old city, or a set of back alleys, and use curved roads or roads with small angle turns (not right angles) to give variety while breaking up sight lines in a non abrupt way. Also consider height variation as a good way to break sight lines. Cars work well for limiting sight lines (if there is nowhere to stand to see over them unless you stand on the car, putting yourself in a bad position) but do not break them. consider badwater, second to third point, where there would be a massive sightline if not for the height variation.

Edit: babies first time being ninja'd

Sheltr

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2011
thats shockingly like my own cauldron animation I made for ICS's haloween map.
a35f8a2e38.gif

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
a35f8a2e38.gif
i was very amused when i heard someone else was doing cauldron stuff for their map, yours is looking pretty good too

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
a35f8a2e38.gif

Haha, I had no idea someone else was making something that similar - lookin good though!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
man what is it with cauldrons
Dunno, but now I want to make a map that takes place in a "cauldron emporium"

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
crash_irl_edited.png