The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Jul 6, 2015
The real war:
3qzHnyM.jpg

Edit:
To keep this post usefull and to not double post, I have an idea for the pack:
Differing water types to go along with the differing terrain types.
Muddy or murky water, swampy, chilled water, and some good beach water.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
I have another Idea.

Why not add a texture that's metal plating? (Kinda like what they use for ship hulls)? You'd have a few variations of this texture.

Metal plating: Default lightly colored metal plating

Dark metal plating: A Darker version of the default plating.

Red metal playing: A red variant of the metal plating

Blue metal plating: A blue variant of metal plating

Several decals could be things like Dent marks, scratches, and the sort.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Also, when I add mines to my map they don't show up after compiling.

What exactly do I need to do?

EDIT: Nvm figured it out ALSO DO NOT PLACE MINES CLOSE TO EACH OTHER OR ELSE THEY'LL EXPLODE ON CONTACT AND CRASH THE GAME.

Apparently mines take up alot of sys resources :mad:

Last edited:

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Fun fact: You can hide certain buildings behind "sandbag_high_x" props, depending on their level. A sentry or dispenser can only be level 2 at max, but a teleporter can be any level.

Proof below.

cookiesurvival

L2: Junior Member
Jul 5, 2015
The thing I hate about these content themed updates is that there's nothing I can do to help it. Unless I have years of Tf2 mapping, modeling, or animating expertise under my belt. ;-;

Jul 6, 2015
The thing I hate about these content themed updates is that there's nothing I can do to help it. Unless I have years of Tf2 mapping, modeling, or animating expertise under my belt. ;-;
1 Year on tf2maps.net
upload_2016-7-17_21-19-45.png

Always try something new, and always keep practicing if you want to be good at something.
Edit:
This is a detail practice map, alot of mappers use small areas to represent maps or new themes or just things they want to toy with and dont exactly have a map in mind that they can use their detailing ideas on.
There a great way to learn scale, and to see what looks good and how to get it there.

KilogramHours

L1: Registered
Jul 15, 2016
Man, I'm terrible with base designs. I understand the tool itself, at least to a beginner's extent. It's just that I don't have ANY good ideas when it comes to mapping, or how to create an interesting map.

I know it all comes with experience, but it is disheartening to work on something for half a day, only to realize you were making a huge turd the entire time without realizing it.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
I finally downloaded the pack and I have one major complaint: there is no subfolders for example in materials or models folder. Usually you have following file structure:
Code:
tf\materials\frontline\brick\.vmt
but this pack doesnt have that. If I copy materials folder from zip to \tf I cant know anymore what is from frontline pack in materials folder.

So, please fix for v1.1

E: I don't think first update is too late for change in file structure

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Unfortunately if we change file structures now, we'd break them for a lot of people. But, if it helps any, every frontline material has a 'frontline' keyword on it you can filter for in the material browser.

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
What are the names of the frontline skyboxes? When I try sky_twilight or sky_twilight_ex (name in the frontline_tzu.vmf) I get a missing skybox and the hole sky lokes like a leak/nodraw.

Joshenkstone

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
I've noticed you can get stuck into the top of the payload cart while the cart is moving, this is most likely because it rotates around.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
What are the names of the frontline skyboxes? When I try sky_twilight or sky_twilight_ex (name in the frontline_tzu.vmf) I get a missing skybox and the hole sky lokes like a leak/nodraw.
The _ex version of the skybox are just scaled down materials showing the front, sides and back view as one material of the thing when dropped in-game. The skyboxes themselves are _01 with sky_earlymorning_02 being the exception (thanks to Void for pointing that out).

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
The _ex version of the skybox are just scaled down materials showing the front, sides and back view as one material of the thing when dropped in-game. The skyboxes themselves are _01.

Apart from the sky_earlymorning_02, you are correct. All skybox settings, and their respective names, are included in frontline_tzu.vmf, indicated by orange arrows. Fly around and you'll find them! The _ex materials were only made to show the skybox textures in the zoo.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Minor thing for the site but I like how you can view the models by zooming in, but for some reason you can't do the same for the textures. It'd be nice if you could zoom in on the textures...

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Minor thing for the site but I like how you can view the models by zooming in, but for some reason you can't do the same for the textures. It'd be nice if you could zoom in on the textures...

It was a bit of an oversight to not have the textures zoomable, yeah. Sorry about that!

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
Great pack, i'll probably try to use it for my 72h jam map. I'm currently using my time before the jam starts to find out what looks good with what.

The only thing that i don't like that much is that the number of "color-coded" textures seems to be quite a bit lower than on other texture packs, which may make it a bit hard to figure out a way to tell players on which part of the map they are on symetrical maps. I haven't read all posts in this thread to see if someone already complained about it, but i wanted to throw it in anyway.