The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Potoroo84

L1: Registered
Dec 18, 2015
Also I would like to suggest something:

Maybe you could have a tank that moves it's turret and acts like a hazard / have a payload cart that shoots shells at enemies?

I thought it would be a good game mechanic.

I think that may be a bit OP, even if you decrease the range and/or damage, it would make a huge difference for both teams. The only thought i had with the Payload Tank is that it could shoot down something after capping (Let's say a RED control tower or a fence blocking the path) and would deal damage to players inbetween the shot. Making it a moving turret may be a hassle to program, and the defending team would need something to counter it.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
True.

I was thinking of having a BLU / RED engie "repair" the Payload tank to activate the tank's ability to shoot enemy players. This will then stop the cart from giving any metal.

And then the opposing team can "destroy" the turret, which will stop it from detecting other players. This could be a separate payload cart option for mappers to use in their maps.

In the properties section of the payload tank, maybe there should be values for the health of the turret and the repair time it takes.

I would like it so that the tanks can at least shoot according to script. This is probably already possible.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I was thinking of having a BLU / RED engie "repair" the Payload tank
Although this would be cool and encourage engineers not to nest, forcing players to go a certain class (especially one that people play less) isn't usually a good idea, even if it's just an extra ability beyond the objective. I can try and explain why if you need me too.

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
Although this would be cool and encourage engineers not to nest, forcing players to go a certain class (especially one that people play less) isn't usually a good idea, even if it's just an extra ability beyond the objective. I can try and explain why if you need me too.
I could see the problem with that.

I still do wish that the tank models / vehicles can be scripted to act like hazards (Like when point A is captured, then have a plane drop bombs on the nearby area, and a tank crashes out of a wall).

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
That would be pretty cool! Doesn't sound too hard to make, either. In fact, clever usage of prop parenting, func_doors, and I/O could let you have flying planes and moving tanks. There are already options available in the pack that let the tank shoot, which is also cool. (keep in mind the tank doesn't actually shoot projectiles, its just an animation)

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
Also, what are the env_light values / colors for the skyboxes?

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
You can find them in the frontline_tzu VMF.

Specifically, they are in front of each of their respective skyboxes, signified by orange arrows. Same setup is applied to the 3 new detail sprites, as well.

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
You can find them in the frontline_tzu VMF.
Also when I put sky_costal_ex in the Skybox Texture Name section of Map Settings the sky appears to be glitched when I compile the map.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
The skybox isn't actually called "sky_coastal_ex". I made the same mistake. Search "sky_coastal" in the texture viewer and you'll see 6 other images for the different sides of the skybox. Use the suffix of those textures instead (ignore the bk, dn, ft etc.) For example, one of the skies is called sky_twilight_01, not sky_twilight_ex

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
The names of each respective skybox are found in the comments section of their light settings properties. Sorry if that wasn't readily apparent, I will look to improving that in the future!

Dr. Scaphandre

Jun 13, 2015
I've never made a TF2 map in my life, but this project has convinced me to start.

Also, does anyone have any good brightness presets for the skyboxes?

Last edited:

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
sDJAtYb.png
Doesn't it mean, like, the actual maps of ww2 frontline? Or it was the joke itself?

Dr. Scaphandre

Jun 13, 2015
Anyone want to form a group to make a few maps? I got two awesome map ideas that I would love to have a few people help me with.

The first is a capture the flag map idea I call "Trenchfoot." The map is a battlefield of trenches with both teams having their own series of trenches, separated by the No Man's Land, similar to these diagrams.
ww1-trench-system.jpg
Aerial_view_Loos-Hulluch_trench_system_July_1917.jpg

The other idea I had is this King of the Hill map called "Crucifix." The map is a battlefield to the top of this big hill, through a series of trenches and tunnels.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
There may be an issue relating to the animated_tank move_slow and move_fast animations. Up close there is a little jitter on the treads at the end of the animation before it loops, but from a bit over 512 units the treads start visually stretching instead.

I've got a picture of it here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726434941

Sorry about that! The error is known by the team and currently be fixed. It'll be patched along with other fixes and additions in v1.1 of the asset pack, which should be available soon.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
Sorry about that! The error is known by the team and currently be fixed. It'll be patched along with other fixes and additions in v1.1 of the asset pack, which should be available soon.

Sorry if it was posted elsewhere, I haven't caught up on the Facepunch thread yet. Can't wait to see what else is in 1.1!

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014

RIP spaghetti threads 2016-2016.
a982cd3fa20cb49d0bb6e94b4118d6b5.gif