KotH Eros RC2a

Eros is a King of the Hill map set in Greek Island Santorini, Its a fast enjoyable KOTH map.

1. Freyja

aa Freyja It hurt itself in it's confusion!

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think anyone is trying to say that having your map inspired by another is bad.

Sulfur itself was heavily inspired and influenced by Hanamura from overwatch itself.

Denying that, however, makes you look silly.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    I think that's the best way to put it, freyja- saying your map is nothing like Ilios by using sarcastic remarks when it is obviously similar and partly inspired by it (which isn't at all bad) is just denial.

I can definitely understand why you are responding this way though, considering this had heaps of effort put in only to have people call it a rip off. The whole situation is pretty unfortunate, it's a very good looking and functional map.

(Also, why isn't disagree a rating option ITT? I see people using funny instead.)

3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar Live demonstration of the hairy ball theorem

Positive Ratings:
    But why are the clliffs desert ones?

4. Wilson

aa Wilson Boomer by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    All these people claiming it is inspired by Overwatch, yet the actual inspiration was CS:GO map before the Overwatch was even in open beta.

Only problem this map has, is that Overwatch came out while it and it's theme were being planned and made.

5. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    ITT everyone shits all over a really cool-looking and fun map because it kinda sorta looks like an overwatch map

Shall we write off all snow-themed maps too because they're basically just ripoffs of Viaduct? And what about koth_king, that's basically just a ripoff of Sleeping Dogs innit

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    You just bypassed all the layout claims like they wouldn't have happened.

Because I haven't played OW, haven't seen videos and have seen only the pics from this thread I can't really say is it copy, inspiration or v2 version but what I have played it with different detailing, I have to say that it is very cramped and overall I personally didn't really like it

E:
    btw that annoys me so much

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    And basically every 5CP map ever for ripping off Badlands last while you're at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    No I didn't. I looked at the screenshots people here provided and I'm still not really seeing the similarities.

Stealing screenshots from @Uncuepa just cos.

There's some stairs here, wow total ripoff

See above

Look at how similar these basically completely different structures are

There are two buildings here. This would be a ripoff if it weren't for the fact that said buildings and the surrounding area didn't look completely different both detail and layout-wise

Literally the only similarity here is that there's a rickety wooden bridge connecting two elevated areas. Said elevated areas (and also the bridge) have absolutely no similarities whatsoever

There's a wooden fence and an indoor area with a pickup in it, obvious ripoff

EDIT:
    Again, the only similarity I'm seeing is the blue balcony, and that's not something that Overwatch invented

I don't mean to be rude, but it's really kinda pissing me off how everyone's shitting all over someone's hard work for no good reason. And yes, I've never played Overwatch, so my opinion might not be worth as much as someone who has, but for those who have played it: if the comparisons you've posted here are really the closest similarities you can find, then that's pretty fucking disappointing given how much of a stink you've created.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  9. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    The moment when your map is based on Sonic but no one realises .

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    to me thats actually the most similar part

take overwatchs building, make it shorter while keeping floor the same and replace stairs with dropdown, and you pretty much have baks building

everything else tho is just a random maze of stairs looking like any other random maze of stairs that can look only so much different from another maze of stairs and is pointless to discuss without overhead shots

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh shit you're SO. FUCKING. RIGHT! You just mind-fucked me!

[​IMG]

It all makes sense now! My life is complete!!

Then,can we all say that OW map got inspired by Sonic too?

12. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I'll give it that, it's kind of similar, but my point still stands that if that's the best comparison anyone can come up with then I still don't see how this is in any way copying or ripping off Overwatch.

13. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Personally, I would have used more pastels which would have made it look even more similar to the Overwatch map. :p

You know, you could still make this map look very different with just lighting changes:

[​IMG]

Different skybox, dusky sky settings, lots of golden lights, and even with the addition of some pastels (mint and light blues for BLU's side, tangerine and pinks for RED's), it would look both striking and strikingly different.

Just for reference's sake, this is the typical Santorini shot, which is what inspired CSGO's map: http://amfblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Santorini-Greece-91.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    My previous post wasn't particularly clear, so I wanted to try and clarify my point with larger comparison pictures:

Both maps are mirror symmetry KotH with two buildings flanking the middle point. In both maps, the building inland from the point has this ledge you can stand on, both detailed in the same manner. This particular type of ledge/detail doesn't seem to appear anywhere else in either map (although I have not verified this). My original point was that this exact detail in the same relative spot of the layout was beyond the level of similarity between Eros and Ilios that I'm willing to accept as coincidence.

However, it doesn't matter. Even if there's elements borrowed from Ilios, it isn't a copy. Game devs (and really, creatives in all fields) "steal" from each other like this almost constantly, consciously or not. This very community preaches that you should be looking at Valve maps for inspiration on how to make your own maps. The only real difference here is that there was an existing "Overwatch will kill TF2" rhetoric to make people (especially the Steam Workshop) get real gross about anything that crosses between the two games.

That said, it's standard practice to acknowledge inspirations. Everything anyone ever made was inspired by something else, and any artists that seem to make totally original work are just very good at hiding their influences. "You're just copying x" is an easy target, and once you drop the pretense that your work is 100% original, your critics have to get more creative.

I don't think anything about the map itself needs to change. I can't comment on the layout since I've only ever played it in a sarcastic 3v3 setting, but this map is one of the best examples of how you can create a new theme (for TF2) with creative use of existing assets (and a limited number of new ones).

I didn't mean to make such a long post, but I wanted to try and exhaust as many parts of this argument as I could so that we can stop talking about this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TyeZenneth

TyeZenneth L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Please just do this.
    It would make the map look really really cool.

16. RodionJenga

RodionJenga L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just thought this was all an extended "Love is Hell" pun

17. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    See, without playing both maps you've just basing it off the looks. The placement of all these areas, their purpose and geometry are near identical. Each of those screenshots are taken for the same relative location on both maps. The cliff routes are near the same, the bridges are new the same, the staircases near the same. It's uncanny. I understand you don't want people to discount Bak's work BUT the maps layout is nearly fucking identical.

18. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    they make completely different routes with completely different gameplay purposes and effects

like at MOST they just look similar

you talk like you've played both but i struggle to believe that based on your comments

19. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    Again, without playing Ilios: Well its hard to understand, but you must understand here that Eros's wooden bridge, and Ilios's wooden bridge ARE IN THE SAME LOCATION serving THE SAME PURPOSE. I'm not just making these comparisons to try and form some sort of evidence. They are the same geometry.

20. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    I have played 160 hours of Overwatch and spent a good hour playing Eros yesterday to get a feel. It's ok to disagree with me on their gameplay purpose but dont try to diminish my understanding of gameplay because you cant formulate a defense for near identical layout.