KotH Eros RC2a

Eros is a King of the Hill map set in Greek Island Santorini, Its a fast enjoyable KOTH map.

1. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    Eros - Eros is a King of the Hill map set in Greek Island Santorini, Its a fast enjoyable KOTH map.

Eros is a King of the Hill map set in Greek Island Santorini, Its a fast enjoyable KOTH map.

Take a look at the view, Explore the town and enjoy your stay.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Simulacron

Simulacron L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, remebers me a little bit of Ilios. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Dat...

Dat...

Dat artstyle.

That said, I wish the houses in the skybox above the map would have some detail instead of being plain white with two windows cut out of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Santorini? TF2 is really becoming more like CS:GO every day :D

In all seriousness, your hyping was justified. Can't wait to play rounds on this.

Edit: Wait... I just recognized the map. I seriously hope you've removed that screaming.\

Edit 2: BIRDS, BAK. YOU'VE OFFICIALLY OUTDONE YOURSELF.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  6. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    Stunningly beautiful.
    Also reminds me of the War Rock map "Bluestorm".

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    its rly pretty

good job

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moonfixer

Moonfixer L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Amazing looking map, can't wait to play on it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Optimization is pretty bad. Look at how much is being rendered at once while I'm standing in spawn:
    [​IMG]
    (ignore fps counter, it's only so low because of mat_wireframe.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    needs some areaportals :T

11. Frosty Scales

aa Frosty Scales

Positive Ratings:
    map looks and plays great, but when I put it on a server I got a lot of people saying that their fps was dropping badly. So yeah this definitely needs optimization work

12. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't walked the map yet, but if the cliff and cliff buildings are in the skybox, you should be able to put skybox brushes over the top of any building that can't be jumped on. Combined with good use of hint brushes + areaportals, should be able to cordon off at least some areas for optimization.

The building in Zed's screenshot looks like a prime candidate for this treatment.

13. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    There is indeed a skybox brush on top of that building, I was investigating it on the server. In fact, from a certain angle, you can slightly see where the skybox brush occludes a non-func_detailed brush, even though it's pretty non-obvious.

Optimization is not my strong point, but I'd imagine you could extend a huge areaportal through the ocean, as well as put some in the doorways? If that's possible, and if you're not doing that already.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  14. CriminalBunny

aa CriminalBunny Lasers are just deadly rainbows

Positive Ratings:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was like "why does this map have the same layout as koth_ripntearmidi?" Now I know why... jesus. :V

I really love DEM BIRDS! They're so good and gives you that "coasty" atmosphere. But there's something I (at least) would change:

[​IMG]

Those mountains at the BG. They look odd,and well. They basically don't fit at all with the map. It's like this "island" is just in the middle of the biggest lake in the world. And since the seagulls (they're seagulls,right? Or maybe SEAGALS?) are more into the coast/beach/ocean,removing that bg might be the best idea IMO.

[​IMG]

And these pictures were made on the limit of the skybox. There's a TON of nodraws that ruins the beauty of this map. Since it's a symmetrical map,both sides have the same problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than that (and that "optimization" part),I think it looks really awesome. My body is ready to test this map. ò3ó

16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Generally this looks kinda nice but there's a lot of room for improvement, so harsh words follow:

The overall lighting is blaaaaaaaaaaaaand as fuck everythings so uniformly lit. Make the ambient darker and the direct light brighter, or maybe just fiddle with tonemap and bloom values?

Change these to point lighting, it oughtn't affect the overall lighting much but it'll get rid of the blotchy shadows:
    [​IMG]

This looks like garbage:
    [​IMG]
    It's super blocky which doesn't really mesh with the rest, the stones down the side are way too dark, the contrast is eeeeeeeehhhhhhh then the top bit looks sort of plonked on and doesn't really look like it belongs at all

The cliff texture is naaaasty, iirc it's meant to be a filler material for some modelled rocks that were cut from the game before launch. but it may have been in dustbowl or 2fort? either way, nasty lookin

Where are all da boats?

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    worth noting that blocky tower is a facade with a rocket hidden in it

(but still could do with being rounder or smth)

18. Viperi

aa Viperi 100% might be snake

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, that's pretty good... looking.

19. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  20. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Or just disable self-shadowing.