72 Hour Jam 2019

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
tf2jam_2019_final.png

Header by Iiboharz and Void. "7" art by Spooky Majora, "2" art by Pybun, "J" art by Hutty. All other works now in-game.

The 72 Hour Jam 2019 begins on August 2nd, 2019 at 6 PM GMT, and ends on August 5th, 2019, 6 PM GMT!

Need help with converting to your timezone? Use worldtimebuddy.com.

The weather is just right and the pools are open. What's that you smell? The grills are out and the dads are grilling. That's what you're smelling (the dads). What better time of year to dedicate a weekend to staying inside and working? The 72 Hour Jam is back once again!

This year we are collaborating with The Trevor Project, a charity that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth in the United States. Like last year, you will receive an in-game medal if you donate $5 or more during the event! You can also donate TF2 items in place of using real cash, more info below.

fKfvrt5.png
  • Make something for or about Team Fortress 2. Collaborations are welcome!
  • You may not work outside of the prescribed hours above (Aug 2nd - 5th, 2019, 6 PM GMT).
    • You may plan in advance, but you may not start creating in advance!
  • To submit your entry, create a download in the 72hr Jam Entries section before the deadline.
  • You may use custom content by other people. Just make sure you credit them!
22jBYd1.png
  • If you enter the Jam, you will get an in-game medal for your participation, unless:
    • ...we discover that you started work on your entry before the Jam started.
    • ...we discover that you stole your entry from somewhere else.
    • ...we decide that your entry is exceptionally low-effort.
      • We try to be generous with this, so as long as you put at least an hour or two into your entry, you should be fine.
    • ...we are not able to trace down your Steam account within three days of when we initially send out the medals. You should associate your Steam account with your TF2Maps.net account in the External Accounts menu.
      • You may also just provide a link to your Steam account in the description of your entry. You will also want to do this for any collaborators so that they can get a medal as well!
      • We will send a message to everyone who we are not able to track down.
  • If you donate $5 to The Trevor Project before August 27th (using our provided links, once they are available), you will get an in-game medal for your contribution.
    • Make sure to include a link to your Steam profile in your donation message! This is how we trace down what Account to award with the medal.
    • If you forget, send me a DM on the website with a link and the name you donated under.
    • You can also donate at least $5 worth of TF2 items for the medal through scrap.tf. Proceeds will go to The Trevor Project.
    • We will stop accepting late Steam IDs on August 30th.
  • You don't get multiple medals for submitting multiple times or donating multiple times.
JJtiEz0.png

DISCORD - We have a Discord! This is the main place to hang out, chat with other members, and get feedback on your works in progress. You'll also be alerted to map tests as they happen, and there's a bot you can submit your map to that puts it in a queue to be tested on our servers.

STEAM GROUP - We have a Steam group! It is not as active as our Discord, but if you want to be alerted to map tests as they happen through Steam, you'll want to join this.

oHsgxmR.png

Can I make a -
Let me stop you there: yes, if it's related to Team Fortress 2. If it's lewd or NSFW, though, we would prefer you hosted it elsewhere and post a link, marked as NSFW, to it, rather than uploading it directly to here - this stops it being previewed on the front page.

Can I enter on another day?
Yes - you can enter on whatever 72hr period you wish, though we suggest you do so before the normal contest time. Simply post the dates/times you wish to enter in this thread, and i'll make a list.

We can't promise to provide the same amount of support for people entering outside the normal time, but we'll do our best.

Can I collaborate with someone else?
Yes! Make sure to credit everybody involved when you make your upload though.

Do I need to be a TF2Maps member to join?
Nope! Or, well, sort of. You’ll need to join the site to upload your entry, but this is open to everybody, even those who’ve never been here before.

What can I do before the Jam starts?
This depends on what it is you want to do with the Jam. Do you want to go from a completely blank slate to a finished project, or meticulously plan every detail before opening your chosen tool? Either is fine.

What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The Jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new.

What if I don’t want to abide by all these cruel and restrictive rules?
That’s cool. We’re not fussed. We’re glad you’re joining us! However, please let us know if you’re doing that – its not fair to other people if some get to start earlier, say. You probably won't get the medal, though.

How can I get feedback on my project?
The two best ways are to post a thread on the forums, and to join the Discord and ask people what they think - we're always happy to help. If you want your map tested, similarly join the Discord and ask - we can show you how to get it added to the list. There are a few other rules that maps need to abide by for us to test them (since doing otherwise can break our servers) - see the bottom question below.

I want someone to collaborate with me!
This isn't a question. However: post in the thread you're in right now, and maybe someone will offer tojoin you. (It usually helps your chances to say both what you're good at and what ideas you already have.)

What are these extra rules for testing maps?
  • Don't use special characters or capital letters in your filename.
  • Maps must be able to spawn at least 24 players (12 per team).
  • Include some lighting - no fullbright maps.
  • If your map requires point_servercommands to be active, then contact an admin before running it. We reserve the right to refuse any map like this.
Contact staff about inquiries regarding MvM testing if you plan to make an MvM map.

When does the Charity Drive start and how long will it last?
It will start alongside the Jam, and will be linked accordingly. Once running, you can then donate at will. We'll be monitoring the drive closely in the weeks after the Jam, so feel free to donate in that time as well. More information on the Charity Drive soon!

Can I get both medals?
If you fit the criteria for both, of course!

Can I get the Charity Medal if I don't participate in the Jam?
Sure! We'd really love to have you on board for the Jam as well, though this isn't necessary when donating.​

We also have a major contest coming up soon! We will be announcing details for the contest one week before the Jam starts. You are allowed to use the Jam to start working on your entry, although we'd encourage you to start even sooner if you'd like to work on something else for the Jam.​

Last edited:

AlexEatDonut

L3: Member
May 9, 2018
too bad for me, i don't have much time for an idea i had. I guess it'll be an excuse to spent an entire night working.

Aapelikaeki

Feb 24, 2018
:jimijam:mmm jam time :jimijam:

Ixy

L2: Junior Member
Jan 29, 2016
I have no words besides "Eeeeeeeeeee!" which, technically, is just a letter. BUT STILL.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I have a question!

I was thinking of making a short animated movie for this jam, in which case, would I be allowed to make a storyboard for it before the event? Or would I have to do that in the allotted time, along with the movie itself?

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Not entirely sure what I want to do this year, but whatever I do I want it to be simple. That way, I can reiterate on it and continually improve it over the 72 hour period.

Right now I feel like making an Arena map, specifically a re-imagining of Roxanne, an entry from an earlier Jam. Anyone else thinking of redoing an earlier project this Jam?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I was thinking of making a short animated movie for this jam, in which case, would I be allowed to make a storyboard for it before the event? Or would I have to do that in the allotted time, along with the movie itself?

I would consider that planning, so it would be fine. I'd encourage you to do the whole thing in the 72 hours, but I understand animation can be pretty time consuming, so do what you need to get something finished!

AlexEatDonut

May 9, 2018
I will be honest, i'm in the same situation, i have almost no time to work, 2nd is busy, 3rd is open but 4th and 5th are holiday time. I won't be able to work that much, and i'm not sure that some of us will be able to do it before others.

Joshenkstone

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
These are really always fun to participate in.
Hopefully I'll have enough time to make some stuff myself as well.

Good luck to everyone else participating.
And a massive thanks to the tf2maps people who make events like these happen!

Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2016
Always have fun making these. Still, Another medal to add to my collection.