WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That wouldn't explain the seams on the edges, though, unless the sides are literally separate brushes from the tops.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Did you make the entire brush a displacement??

No, just the visible sides. It goes away when I don't use use -fast so I'm not worried about it as a problem, I just think it looks cool enough to post a screenshot of it.

Plus I guess it's a nice visualization of my in-progress displacement setup.

edit - the top and sides are the same brush, I never saw a good reason to split them into two separate brushes, just seems to make more visual noise in Hammer.

Aug 23, 2008
No, just the visible sides. It goes away when I don't use use -fast so I'm not worried about it as a problem, I just think it looks cool enough to post a screenshot of it.

Plus I guess it's a nice visualization of my in-progress displacement setup.

edit - the top and sides are the same brush, I never saw a good reason to split them into two separate brushes, just seems to make more visual noise in Hammer.

One possible reason: if you screw up one face (too lumpy, not enough noise, etc) you can just destroy that face, rebuild it and start over, instead of having to destroy the entire brush, rebuild both faces, and start over on both sides.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
You don't have to do that. You can destroy one face, turn off hide displacements non-displaced faces (can't remember the actual name, it's the DD button in hammer) and just re-displace that face.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
i prefer just setting all displacements vertexes to 0

since it seems to reset them completely no matter what axis ive selected

"Raise to" works on -only- the currently selected axis, so a value of 0 will reset it

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
I spent way too much time on this stupid joke.

8x8WnCI.jpg

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
These are already up on my map thread, but I felt like sharing them here because I'm pretty proud of it. Definitely my favorite detailing job yet.
arena_byre_b10006.jpg

arena_byre_b10007.jpg
arena_byre_b10008.jpg
arena_byre_b10009.jpg
arena_byre_b10010.jpg
arena_byre_b10011.jpg

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Your global lighting seems like it might be a little hot, the patches of dirt have a lot glare where sunlight hits them. Buildings seem a bit washed out as well.

That gully thing with the drainage pipes looks pretty boss.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
These are already up on my map thread, but I felt like sharing them here because I'm pretty proud of it. Definitely my favorite detailing job yet.
arena_byre_b10008.jpg

I really like this building but the roof looks really odd (in my opinion), might it look better with 3 or 4 different angled parts of roof (instead of 2)?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Looks like a perfectly ordinary barn roof to me. Do they not have barns like that where you're from?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think my issue with that barn isn't the roof, I think that that looks fine and stylized... it's the fact that there is a corner of the support structure missing and the barn looks solid as a rock. I feel like it should be a little looser, or even starting to fall down a bit.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
I really like this building but the roof looks really odd (in my opinion), might it look better with 3 or 4 different angled parts of roof (instead of 2)?

Dude, do you even know what a barn looks like? Even a cursory skimming of the google images results for "barn" would've shown you that, without exception, barn roofs are always either two segments to the side or downright round. Sometimes they have a third one just to make an overhang at the sides, but that's distinct from the main roof.

I don't mean to pick on you at all, I'm sorry, but I'm upset how this thread has so much constant and terrible misguided detailing advice in it, even moreso that it usually says the original design is wrong.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That was unnecessarily rude, come on :| Sure, not everyone is an expert on everything, but that doesn't mean you should be so extremely critical about everything. Besides, I think Berry was suggesting making the roof more round (3 or 4 sides would do just that).

I agree with frozen, that corner needs a support; it looks very unsafe atm.