Rift

CTF Rift RC3

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Redmond and Blutarch are at it again, and this time their logging companies Wood Good Inc. and Binksi Logging Co. are endlessly one-upping each other in lumber production. As each tries to outdo the other, trees are rapidly disappearing from the U.S, and both companies are given an official notice by a those disgusting hippies at the Global Resource Network to stop their deforestation of the country at once. Lucky for them, the notices didn't say anything about South America. Both companies make plans to move their operations to the Yucatan, unaware that their rival is doing the same...

Logging has commenced in a remote jungle, far away from smelly hippies, but much to the loggers' surprise, these rainforests hold more than plain old trees. There's also piles of really old rocks! Building-shaped rocks, no less! These artifacts should fetch a fair chunk of change back at home, change that could be used to further extend tree-cutting capability. As the logging operations evolve into archaeological expeditions, Wood Good Inc. is astonished to find that those bastards from Binksi Logging are right in their backyard! This means war.

Welcome to CTF_RIFT! In this hybrid "Invade CTF" gamemode, pick up the bomb from the middle of the map and take it to the enemy side in order to destroy their pyramid.

Originally made for the Winter 2014 72hr Mapping contest.

EArkham for coloured khmer stone brick textures and stelae/broken face props
squintik for jungle skycards
heyo for other jungle skycards
Bulletcrops Pack for blimp and "Wood Good" signs
Mayann Pack for pottery models
Wormatty for the MvM response prefab
UEAKCrash for providing alternate testing on the HoNC server
MegaPieMan for the custom announcer lines
Muddy for help with said voicelines
And of course everyone at tf2maps.net for playing the map and giving feedback, as well as organizing the 72hr contest that made it possible!

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
dat isometric screenshot, schweeeeet.

10/10 MOTY

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
-Removed no one reads these notes anyways

Hah, I do! >: )

OFF TOPIC: How do you get those isometric screenshots? They look sweet as hell.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Heres a screenshot of this exploit bug from the 72h version, don't forget to fix it or your map will crumble!
spacer.jpg

The exploit is a giant black hole sucking up the map?

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
I most likely won't be working on this map anymore, so if you want to adopt it, send me a reply or a message or something. In fact, I'm probably going to take a break from mapping in general for a while, and maybe I'll make a good map when I return.

Last edited:

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Rift is back, babies!

====<|Alpha 11|>====

-Map setting is now at dusk
-Removed some clutter
-Smoothed out some displacements
-Moved the water
-Adjusted health amounts and placements
-Fixed some buggy geometry
-Fixed explosion not showing on RED side for some people
-Removed moneyface(rip)
-Added some lights here and there
-Added spooky skeleton
-A bit of optimization
-Prop fades
-Gave some displacements a proper paint job
-Removed ramps to mid platform
-Made that window smaller
-Minor bugfixes and adjustments

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
====<|Prebeta 1|>====

-Detailed map(not entirely, no 3d sky yet)
-Changed gamemode logic
>Carrying flag onto pyramid unlocks a cap point
>When point is capped, flag is captured, and point ownership goes back to the defender's
-Removed wooden fences from the water area
-Added barrels to jump up on the bridge building
-Removed fence from right side of pyramid
-Added some nobuilds
-Added soundscapes and ticking sound to the bomb

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
{>--==--<|Beta 1|>--==--<}

Finally!

-Added 3D sky
-A few minor gamemode changes
-Improved detailing
-Improved optimization
-Improved lighting(somewhat)
-Added small route parallel to the gargoyle tunnel
-Fixed some clipping errors
-Made cliffs taller and less blocky
-Some other stuff probably(definitely)

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Hi, Ynders.

I was concerned about the confusion that could be caused by not knowing what was going on, coupled with the two-second capture time of the bomb. So I thought I would have a faff around in Hammer to see if I could get the defending team to say MvM bomb responses. I was able to get it to work eventually.

I made a test map. What happens is, when a player spawns he gets AddOutput > targetname redplayer/blueplayer and also Addcontext > IsMvMDefender:1.

Then I coloured part of the map red and part blue and put a trigger brush over each. I gave them and the intelligence some outputs: OnTrigger/StartTouch > red/blueplayer > Speakresponseconcept > TLK_MVM_FIRST_BOMB_PICKUP or TLK_MVM_BOMB_PICKUP. I gave the intel an OnDropped output and a couple of relays to make each defending team say that the bomb has been dropped, using concept TLK_MVM_BOMB_DROPPED.

The response rules for each concept give them a five percent chance to be spoken, so you don't need to worry about voice command spam.

You can download the VMF here. Spawn as a red player and then spawn a bunch of bots in the console (spam 'bot' 23 times). Wait for them to say the round start lines, then pick up the intel. Stand on the spot dropping it and picking it up again for a bit. Then take it to the blue area and wait there for a bit. Every five seconds it will send the concept output to the blue team.

The triggers for red and blue are different, and have different outputs because I was experimenting with func_flag_alert and func_flagdetectionzone. Each has pros and cons and neither was perfect for what you said you wanted to happen during the play test recently. You could get it working exactly the way you want with more logic but I didn't do that because it was outside the scope of my proof of concept.

I hope this is of use to you.

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
{>--==-<|Beta 3|>-==--<}
-Added a new route through Tomb around Meadow
-Added a wall in Meadow
-Increased cap time
-Added a warning that may or may not work
-Changed fog settings slightly
-Added and removed some props
-Added and removed some health/ammo kits
-Changed Banana so it curves
-Moved health from Tunnel to Banana
-Added some torches in Tomb
-Fixed some shtuff
-Stuff I forgot
-Skipped b2, b2a, and b2b

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
This shit is bananas

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
I'm taking a break from this map (again) if anyone cares. Lately I've been feeling like every time I change something, it makes the map worse, and it's been causing me more stress than fun, so I'm just putting it on the backburner until I feel ready to continue.