p6H1ULR.jpg

AVWiUAT.jpg

2Wr9RRg.jpg

eejjiFI.jpg

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
That's a lot of deathpit.

If Another Bad Pun would provide a way out (or more than one), it could change from a death pit to an inconvenient pit. Maybe make it water.

Doktor Richter

L3: Member
Feb 13, 2014
If that's Heatwave, then it looks like a huge improvement over the last version, especially from the perspective of a scout main. It's nice to see those open spaces and side routes around the point, as opposed to the cramped, chokey entrances that were always under a lot of fire and tough to flank.

Looking forward to playing it, for sure.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
Honestly, art tends to be better when maps are done art-first. The problem is that it makes the gameplay parts much harder.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
oh i know it is. all the maps ive "started" were me making small fully detailed areas because i hate/literally cant layout a map. but if you fully detail a map as you make it

a) it will take forever and you will be sad because cranking out a map fully detailed doesn't allow you to play test
b) any layout changes you have to make after playtesting, especially big areas, will fucking suck to try to do and
c) it's not good practice. detailing as you layout is just a recipe for failure and discouragement.

if you can crank out a fully detailed map that generally plays well and people like, youre a god among mappers.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
There's no "right" way to make a map, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a couple fully detailed buildings while the rest of the map is dev texture placeholders.

If you're careful about the big scale structures being on a grid it's not hard to adjust detailed buildings.. just go into vertex mode and drag stuff around a little bit.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
People underestimate the power of the vertex tool so much. Build your brushwork smartly and learn how to use it, and you can pretty much move mountains without worrying about space management (to a degree).

Unrelated, doing some more Unity work:
screen7.png

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Nope, you have to learn how to turn dev blocks to real details then.
You also would have to make your dev blocks shaped in a way that you can create the details you want. Without anything that lays focus on it your map is going to be quite dull detail wise. Still, as mapper you usualy already have such idea of an area and make your brushwork to match it.

The major downside of doing detail first is that as mapper you are scared to change the part that plays bad just because it looks good. And this makes bad maps.

Details are recommended as the last part just because gameplay is more important.