WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Now with 100% more themeing and leveling...

gamedev_1.png

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
Nope, you have to learn how to turn dev blocks to real details then.
I don't buy it. To me, that doesn't look like part of a city at all, it just has city building sides. Sure, it's pretty, but that's the perfect theme for cutting into and detailing tall straight vertical brushes. I've never seen a soho themed map that didn't have pretty buildings, no matter what mistakes they made.

When you make a FULL (key word there: FULL) map in nothing but dev textures, except for maybe detailing trivial or important things, you will have problems with detailing the little shit because there's so much to do and you can't dramatically change it to turn it into that one detail structure that makes sense. Even if you can pull it off to some extent, it's not the full "I'm going to make this thing" but still "I'm going to turn this thing into this other thing", and that makes a dramatic difference when it comes to the detail of the little shit. For example, process bad these garage doors on mid that didn't go *anywhere*. They literally had some 64 units of concrete and then there was a T joint in the building behind them. No room for a door to come out.

Last edited:

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
I don't buy it. To me, that doesn't look like part of a city at all, it just has city building sides. Sure, it's pretty, but that's the perfect theme for cutting into and detailing tall straight vertical brushes. I've never seen a soho themed map that didn't have pretty buildings, no matter what mistakes they made.

When you make a FULL (key word there: FULL) map in nothing but dev textures, except for maybe detailing trivial or important things, you will have problems with detailing the little shit because there's so much to do and you can't dramatically change it to turn it into that one detail structure that makes sense. Even if you can pull it off to some extent, it's not the full "I'm going to make this thing" but still "I'm going to turn this thing into this other thing", and that makes a dramatic difference when it comes to the detail of the little shit. For example, process bad these garage doors on mid that didn't go *anywhere*. They literally had some 64 units of concrete and then there was a T joint in the building behind them. No room for a door to come out.

Imo there's a boundary in the dev process here you shouldn't fall into, wich is the oversimplification of your layout and just make a map out of simple block.

When my maps are in the dev texture stage, I always consider the final look of the map, and I already know (approximately) how I will detail it. I make a HUGE work on the brushwork, while not falling into the detailling process, and that's the difference from many other maps in development here which have an oversimplificated brushwork.

So if I have a tip for you, it's that you should work more on your brushwork on the alpha stage, you'll see that it will be way more easier for you to detail a map.

Also I didn't get your point about that garage door thing :huh:

So, yeah maybe my details aren't realistic enough to you, but I think i've reached a good balance between gameplay and details, and this is the important part in level design.

More screens because everyone love screens. :woot:

det.jpg

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Dang, all of that looks fucking sick, as usual from you ravage :0 one thing that bothers me is the halogen lights under a wooden walkway on Brazil, those lights tend not to be used outdoors. A single bright bare bulb maybe?

I think I map the same way Ravage described above. I have an incredibly hard time making a map just out of shapes - I always think about what this building is going to be, how it's going to be detailed, if it makes sense in the story the map is trying to tell, what's over that fence, why is the truck here and not elsewhere, are the doors I justmade usable in an industrial scenario, etc. The only map I've made so far out of just shapes was theprestige I think, and I'm not at all happy with that geometry. On the other hand, getting stuck on a certain idea for a map can also be bad - that was my main problem with advection. I had set in stone that b would be a train station and c some sort of loading dock that I completely locked out any creativity that could have saved the shitty parts of the map (most of them).

Map however you want though, as long as your detailing makes sense. I don't know process and ergo don't know what the door looks like exactly, but it just sounds like isolated detailing - detailing made for one specific spot that doesn't necessarily fall together with the rest of the map, architecturally or thematically.

Edit:that isn't Brazil with the halogen lights, just realised

Last edited:

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
CTF map in development. This is all I have done so far.

ikGoxAn.jpg

0yzhUbW.jpg

gX8mtR0.jpg

I doubt it'll play well at all, but hey it's just a fun idea and I went with it.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Float: that's neato, but I can't see it working well, like you said. Still, void might have some suburban assets he could give you; it'd be a shame to see so many cool assets go unused.

Plushypie: tone down the yellow lighting and take some closer-up pictures, that looks interesting (albeit a bit busy).

Ido: are you remaking Receiver

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009

Hydroshield the map (although that actually is a map) - you could probably get away with using some wooden fences there,it being a park and all. Looks rad so far, I'm interested to see how it ends up.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
That pool looks way too shallow. The water isn't there just for the cooling, it's also to shield workers from radiation.

There's also no cranes or anything to replace fuel rods, not to mention that there's no safe way to dispose used rods in that room. The fuel rods in the pool are placed suspiciously haphazardly too.

Also, windows. A fission reactor should be placed in an armored building. Windows in the reactor room sure wouldn't convince me that the building could contain a nuclear meltdown even a slight bit.

Not sure if this will help, but here's some reactor cutaways.

Last edited: