Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
how about
upload_2016-12-10_20-42-37.png

Malachite Man

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 16, 2015
I hate to be a stuck up engineering nerd on this, but those beams simply wouldn't work. The sharp angles at the bends would cause stress concentrations in the beams and basically make them distort/ snap. They just wouldn't be able to hold the weight.

A simple fix is just to have them straight. They can still be angled, but sharp bends in beams are a no-go.
This is the same game where cows are made out of cardboard and milk is made with radiation the logic dissapeared in 2008

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Map spends as much as it needs there. I'd say average is like 7-10, but cp_myrtana is at a29, and there were maps that reached 20 before getting to beta.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Exactly the same: as long as they need to polish aesthetics. Significantly less than alpha, 2x I'd say because, you know, you don't really need a bunch of playtests to decide how it looks.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
while waiting to playtest dewm I took some time to squeeze out some more props,

catwalks w railings, 128, 256, a (questionable) crate 64x64, ceiling beams 1024, 512, 256, 128 and a cargo bridge with hook
71A368A266B959D14F0965C149DC44EB960CB888

some wall and ceiling tiles, 256x256
AE4D03C694D8F372B593B9AD2897C6B7B9191A6D

a2 of dewm can be found here (does not include any props): https://tf2maps.net/downloads/dewm.2853/

teach me

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
I honestly don't see any reason to get into these details in brushwork. Brush faces are considerably more expansive.
you can have some fun though: turn all of these into world and look at the portalfile

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Instead of skewing a column in the middle, keep it as one straight line and angle it like Hydro does:

1200px-Hydro_Blu_Last.png

Bending a linear structural member into multiple pieces means that each straight segment effectively acts as its own piece, and you're relying on the joints between them to hold up the ceiling. You could make it work, but you'd need a really good reason to do it over anything else that's simpler.

You could maybe argue that style trumps efficiency in this case, but it's... weird? I can't think of any column I've ever seen like that, and the style you're referencing is largely about using industrial processes as an aesthetic, so the "correct" decision is to do whatever is the most efficient (though architects will break stylistic rules quite often).

Hell, I'd even go as far to say that those columns should probably be straight up and down since the place they're in doesn't seem to be a room with any sort of grandness to it (i.e. using cool angles is wasted effort because the room doesn't need to be exciting). This would mean ditching the angled beam models, but that's up to you to figure out.

Last couple of notes: This room could probably go without columns and just use a couple of beams under the pathway (unless there's something happening up in the ceiling that justifies the columns). Also, don't forget to use stairs where ramps aren't appropriate.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Oh, I've been severly confused by the phrase "does not include any props". Great model work then, looking forward to see textured!

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
"I am the one they forgot, the day of machines came...and i tried to to stop it." -a really cryptic guy
20161210115300_1.jpg

20161210115313_1.jpg

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Edit: It's not really TF2-related, but I figured I'd share anyways, since I've been posting periodically in chat.

Low-Poly Marshmallow People!

Ut68Bqw.png

Hoping to submit to this contest.

OimxJDm.png

BaZ0jtl.png

Last edited:

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
Oh, I've been severly confused by the phrase "does not include any props". Great model work then, looking forward to see textured!
He is making props for the map, and showed pictures of those props, and then he mentioned an alpha of the map that doesn't have any of those props in it yet.

Etasus

L420: High Member
Jul 24, 2016
help, i packed my resources to allow for people to see my textured displacement, and this happened...

Attachments

• ctf_pumpstation_a80000.jpg
    ctf_pumpstation_a80000.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 210
  • ctf_pumpstation_a80001.jpg
    ctf_pumpstation_a80001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 223
  • ctf_pumpstation_a80002.jpg
    ctf_pumpstation_a80002.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 246
  • ctf_pumpstation_a80003.jpg
    ctf_pumpstation_a80003.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 197
Nov 13, 2015

its very simple; the basics are tf2 hammer and source2 hammer, everything is build in 256 unit blocks in tf2 hammer, in this case it really does not have anything to do with the prop creation, since units in source2 is the same as tf2 hammer, source 2 hammer is free and comes with destinations or dota2, it does not matter which you use,

source2 hammer is a very intuitive mesh builder, very similar to maya etc, but superior in its ability to import vmf, which makes it ideal to create set piece props since it translates 1:1 into old hammer, if you are familiar with maya etc this might not be necessary since you can export ref geometry directly from hammer but I find source2 hammer to be way faster for doing easy things like what I've made, and if you are familiar with old hammer you will get up to speed easily,

when you have created the ref mesh (or final version) you export it as a fbx, since tf2 does not have ssao you probably want to bake it, I use mental ray in maya,
the best way to export props from maya is with the MESA shelf, which is free and super easy to install, some people prefer other applications, whatever 3d application that can import a fbx and export it to smd should work,

-create the geometry in source2
-export it as a fbx (or obj)
-import the file into a application that can export to smd
-fix the uvs
-update the pivot (to make sense, like in the corner of the mesh, make sure its snapped to grid)
-export to smd

I havent started texturing the models, but I will probably use quixel and photoshop, or just photoshop and a wacom, some people prefer other applications, you don't need to bake ao in maya - some prefer xnormal etc, or no ao at all,

all collision is also made in hammer, then you can easily alight it with the grid and keeping the complexity down, while saving yourself the joyful work of clipping a entire level, I was skeptical at first, but it seems to work pretty good,

overall this is a veeeeeery experimental workflow, but so far it seems decent, I get to spend more time in hammer and less time elsewhere, exporting models is boring, I found it good to make 'em in 5-10 batches,...then you never really get tired, but keep the motivation of testing them out in-game,
right now I got around 30 props which have taken me ~8 hours to make, but they are very simple and low poly, still need to fix some vertex faces, make the textures etc,

hope it helps,