WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Will rc1 be released alongside the event version?

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I'm working on a thing

2015-10-07_22-46-01.jpg

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
What game mode is that? And why are the walls white instead the respective team color?

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
cp_needaname_pre0001.jpg

Changing cp_seasons to be a 1st cap point of a new map, thinking of calling it cp_blockade or cp_roadblock.

Also...
cp_needaname_pre0000.jpg

spooky scary hat & glasses.

Mar 23, 2013
Very much so

I absolutly disagree.
If you do an attack-defense map then you dont need colored buildings which tell you on which side you are. You can make the path to the CP (or payload) clear in other ways, like having arrows. Team colored buildings are absolutly not needed. Even finished payload maps don't have that. Would it matter if the spawn on borneo wasn't blue? Not at all, you still clearly see that blue spawns there and it wouldnt matter if the spawn was made of red wood like every other building on that map.

Team-colored buildings are only on mirrored maps required

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I absolutly disagree.
If you do an attack-defense map then you dont need colored buildings which tell you on which side you are. You can make the path to the CP (or payload) clear in other ways, like having arrows. Team colored buildings are absolutly not needed. Even finished payload maps don't have that. Would it matter if the spawn on borneo wasn't blue? Not at all, you still clearly see that blue spawns there and it wouldnt matter if the spawn was made of red wood like every other building on that map.

I feel like team-colored buildings at least give the players a sense of direction and progress.

If the map gets gradually redder toward the final point, blu knows they're advancing into enemy territory. Likewise if they notice the map getting bluer they realise they're heading away from the objective and can reorient themselves.

T

The Asylum

I usually just go right in with all textures and absurd detail

I know, I'm terrible

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
All you really want is something that gives you contrast between areas of the map (and between wall/floor). Team colored dev textures are probably the most effective and easy method of doing that (they also give you information about what kind of "territory" you're in or near!).

However, they aren't necessary. See: Asteroid. Valve uses colored lighting in a few spots to create distinction between the bases, but the bases are otherwise identical in texturing (aside from any minor details that I might be overlooking). You can accomplish something similar with overlays.

EDIT: You may also consider texturing and lighting your map in a similar style to how you see it looking in a final version. The way a room or route is lit or textured can effect how people use the room (dark routes usually indicate alternate or flank routes).

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I absolutly disagree.

The subject was 5cp maps. This is true for 5cp maps.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
-snip-
Years of heavy metal have prepared me for this day.

koth_shredshriieeek: The map is timed to your Twitch streams.