WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
Sure, you can disable snow particles (I used info_particle_system with particles from coldfront, but the fog can only be changed with cheat console commands. Also, even without fog theres farZ clipping plane right behind it.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
if the map is big enough that you can see farZ theres a bigger issue that needs fixing

Aug 30, 2015
Practicing detailing under a time constraint. This took almost no time at all to my great surprise, which has got me worried than I when I do it for real next week I will run out of things to detail
20160827152822_1.jpg
I like bridges, like a lot

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
I always look at maps that look cool / I think play well and think to myself 'wow, I should try make a map like this' I almost always fail horribly, but the point stands that this map has made me think that.

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
So, after a short discussion about spytech bases in the chat, i remade the spawn of Bloodshed... again.

This isn't 100% finished, there are still some things that i want to touch, but i probably won't be able to work on it for the next few days, so i wanted to show it off.

outside.PNG

Outside (Same as before, probably has to change to account for the bigger underlying structure.)

inside.PNG

Inside

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
So, after a short discussion about spytech bases in the chat, i remade the spawn of Bloodshed... again.

This isn't 100% finished, there are still some things that i want to touch, but i probably won't be able to work on it for the next few days, so i wanted to show it off.

outside.PNG

Outside (Same as before, probably has to change to account for the bigger underlying structure.)

inside.PNG

Inside

I really like your texturing choices! Though you may want to replace that grate texture with glass; the fine lines often look messy from farther away, plus glass makes more sense thematically.

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013

Inside

I think an actual wall with some cool windows instead of the weird metal grate wall would be more spytech. The current setup looks like something you could have inside a barn imo.

edit: oh KubeKing beat me to it

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I think the bigger issue is that the room can't decide if it wants to be a warehouse or a spytech operations room. The big dividing wall would make sense in a warehouse for fire code and security reasons, but that type of architecture just doesn't make sense with the computers and nicely painted walls. I would recommend going full spytech or full warehouse, rather than trying to fit both programs into one space.

The way the divider is made also doesn't make a whole lot of sense - staggering the horizontal structural beams like this only really makes sense on a small scale structure. Should you choose to keep the divider, it should be organized as a grid so that the horizontal members line up with each other. You should also consider adding in diagonal beams.

The way the room is laid out also doesn't make a whole lot of sense - there's a few nooks and crannies that really don't need to exist and are just not efficient uses of space. My guess is that a lot of this comes from trying to give the upper spawn exit a comfortable amount of room for players to maneuver. That particular mass sitting on top of the ground floor just divides the space really awkwardly.

I would recommend thinking about the "ground floor" the interior as being level with the higher spawn exit, and relegating the bottom two exits to a basement level. The upper exit landing won't divide the room up at all, giving you a bit more freedom to mess around with the rest of the space. Plus, this correlates nicely with how the building appears from the outside.

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
God, so many good ideas, and i'll have to wait for almost a full week to try it out. I won't forget it though, thanks for the feedback!

*Edit: I have to admit that it originally started with me looking at pictures of Moonraker base and seeing the platform/stairs alignment in there. Then, halfway in i realized that what i had in mind would turn out way too big, so i had to cut edges until i arrived where i am right now. Your posts (and the discussion in chat) inspired me to rethink the ideas i had, and the next iteration will probably come out way better.

Last edited:

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
So I had no internet for hours. And OOPS I DETAILED BLU SPAWN ON SUNRISE

s6zX9k4.png
Those ceiling supports are probably too thin and too far away from the ceiling. I would raise them and make them wider/thicker. Also, instead of keeping those ceiling duct props in the corner, I would make them more apparent or go for some other design which covers more of the ceiling. It's fun to have them wind around light props and such.

Another note which isn't that big of a deal is that the tile floor you're using is mostly used sparingly in that spawnroom theme. Or, it indicates some important area or smaller room. Larger rooms use the fainter, white tiles instead. This is just if you want to keep consistent with the other maps.
If you study the stock maps with this theme you'll probably see what I mean.
example

Last edited: