cp_drorange

CP cp_drorange a10

May 25, 2015
cp_drorange - A 5cp map from Dr. Orange that hopefully works, like at all.

A new 5cp map from Dr. Orange! Hopefully this one doesn't suffer from deep-rooted gameplay issues down at the core of it.

Note: There might be a debug Sniper or two left in the map. I used them for measuring scale and accidentaly removed them from their visgroup, so I had to add them back one by one and I might have missed some.

Last edited:

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
Unless your scale snipers were prop_dynamics, they just won't show up in the map, so no need to worry there.

May 25, 2015
Unless your scale snipers were prop_dynamics, they just won't show up in the map, so no need to worry there.
Of course they're prop_dynamics. I wanted to have them in-game as well to be able to measure scale on a player model from the player's perspective, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I think I hid all of them, so it really isn't a problem :)

May 25, 2015
Changelog:

* Changed some textures to be easier on the eyes.
- Removed a fence on second.
+ Added clips on the fences at second.
- Removed clips on the rocks outside spawn (it's nobuilded to prevent exploitation).
+ Clipped and nobuilded the windows of the mid bridges.
* Completely re-did the connectors between mid-last.
+ Added no-entry overlays to one-way spawn doors.
+ Added doors in the walls to last.
* Widened several connectors.

cp_drorange_a20005.jpgcp_drorange_a20003.jpgcp_drorange_a20001.jpg

Read the rest of this update entry...

May 25, 2015
Changelog:

* Changed mid-to-last connector.
+ Added medium health kits to lower mid.
* Changed small ammopack in lower mid to medium ammo packs.
+ Added oil drums to the mid-to-second connector.
* Changed the exits to second in the spawnroom connector to have a single large exit instead of two smaller ones.
+ Added a flank route between spawnroom connector and lower second.
* Shortened capture time on last.
cp_drorange_a30001.jpg

May 25, 2015
Changelog:
* Made ramps near last less steep.
* Replaced detail fence on red side near mid with a solid wall.
- Removed bridge. (Rest in peace, bridge. You will be missed.)
* Placed mid on a raised hill.
+ Added arrows to guide the player towards mid.
* Tweaked respawn times.
+ Added clips to the roofs of the buidlings between second and last.
- Removed shutter doors on last.
+ Added fences to prevent a huge sightline created by the previous change.
- Removed rocks at last to make more space. (Rest in memes, props_mining/rock005.mdl You will not be missed.)
* Moved the last control points forward a bit so they are in the center of the arena they are in.
+ Made second more spacious.
+ Made several buildings and parts into func_instances. (This doesn't affect the compiled map, but it allows me to make future changes easier)
* Changed environmental settings.
- Removed HDR (it was just too bright on YOUR monitor *walks away angrily*).
+ Cubemaps

Tl;dr:
cp_drorange_a60002.jpg

May 25, 2015
Changelog:
- Removed healthkits on mid.
+ Added a hole between the first and second floor on the mid building.
+ Added ammo on the second floor of the mid building.
- Removed barrels that allow you to jump up to upper mid.
+ Re-added barrels that allow you to jump up to upper mid.
+ Added ramps from lower mid to upper mid.
+ Added fences in lower mid to block sightlines.
+ Added soundscapes.
+ Added a full ammopack and medium healthkit on last to help defenders defend.
cp_drorange_a80004.jpg

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
I feel like last on both sides is too easy to cap for offensive as they have a major height advantage over the point going in.
Also because memes can you rename the map for alpha stages "box canyon"

May 25, 2015
Changelog for Alpha 9:
* Raised the height level of last.
* Changed the bridge from the rocks near mid to be part of the rock.
* Changed several large ammo packs to medium or small ammopacks.
* Tweaked respawn time bonus on capping points.
* Made it so you can re-enter respawn rooms on second.
+ Added resupply lockers in the respawn rooms at 2nd.
* Closed off the sheds near mid and moved the ammo and health to the nearby buildings.
+ Made the aforementioned healthkit to a medium one.
* Moved entrance to 2nd-to-lower-mid connector closer to the home base to make it more noticable.

May 25, 2015
Double digits! What does it mean?!

Changelog:
* Fixed ammopacks on RED last being the wrong size.
- Removed tower on mid building.
- Removed clips over outcropping part of the building on last-to-2nd-connector.
* Fixed lighting bugs on roof lips.
+ Made control point signs on mid solid to aid players in jumping to the upper floor.
+ Changed the team buildings at lower mid to have a pathway leading up to the platform on them through them.
- Removed ramps leading up to those platforms.
cp_drorange_a100002.jpg

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Everytime I play this map, it's just ehhhh. Like, I don't have any words to describe how I feel about how this map plays. It's not horrible, but it's not good. I don't want to say it's okay, but I don't want to say it's mediocre either. It's so perfectly in the middle of such ratings I can only use the sound ehhhh to show my ambivalence towards the map. So I guess I'll attempt to dissect myself to help you make this map go in a definitive up direction.

Mid

If you watched the demo for the last version I played in, you probably heard my comment comparing it to Sunshine. I don't think it should be too hard to tell why. Though I don't think it plays badly. Infact, I think mid is probably the best part of the map. It's a lot of fun as a Scout to jump through the main building, so I think you could probably keep it.

Though I don't know if I can say the same for the connectors. I'm talking about the one that you enter from the side and it gives you a direct height advantage over mid. I think it's fun, but it makes Scout far too powerful to effectively combat. If you look at the last demo I was in, I managed to pub stomp the entire enemy team with Scout. It's not that I meant for it to happen, the map in general in just way too Scout friendly. Though Mid accentuates this friendliness with it's easy to get on nature. You can jump right up onto it's second floor, and drop down onto attempting capturees and show them a good slaughter.

So what I think you should do is make it more like Sunshine funny enough, and move the tower away from most climbable objects to make it a lot harder for Scouts to get up on it, but rewards the ones who do. Oh, and also give a bit of space, mid feels really claustrophobic on the lower levels.

Second

Second is a rather boring point. Mainly the areas around it. I never saw the alcove directly under the point used. Not even for teleporter exits or anything like that. I dislike the side entrance to mid that gives you a height advantage over that point, because it also gives you a height advantage over Second, which makes it far too easy for attacks to roll Mid and Second in less than a minute. This rolling leads to another problem I'll get into in a bit.

I also find the supposed main entrance to mid giving a height advantage over the point is a really bad idea. No matter what entrance attackers take, they're always at a big advantage over defenders. It makes it really damn hard to push Mid once you lose control, and then attackers can easily slam down onto the point until they own it, and then go to last.....

Last

eeeeeuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh This point is bad. There is no way to make that less blunt without telling the truth. It's teh one place in this map I can defiantly say such a thing. It's really flat, hard to push into, hard to push out of, and can just be locked down by a Sniper standing near his spawn. I don't think any minor changes to this point would make it more enjoyable, so I'd recommend a complete tear-down and rebuilding of the point.

Engineers....

This is a class I didn't talk about, because he is useless most of the time in this map.

Second I think is the biggest example. Any sentry position that can cover a connector or the point can be easily out ranged by just about anyone on this point. The same mostly goes for Last as well. It's not fun to build a sentry gun on this map because it won't be there for very long. Since this map is designed for Pubs, judging by the fact that you're testing here at all, I think a few good Engineer spots is justifiable.

Hopefully you can pick out something of worth from this dump of thought, and use it to make this map better to play on.