Certified in best in fun
aa
Dec 12, 2012
I showed this to a friend, might as well just put it here too
687F68C1A4E398643EECE4625EC4E4ADB2AFABD8

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
I give you the last point of heatwave that no one ever really asked for, that's brutally modeled after Gullywash's last point:

itvYgRS.jpg

LasCEJM.jpg

dwL4LAv.jpg

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
That doesn't look too bad. Kind of excited to try that.

Have you thought about any sort of setpieces you might like for the area?

Like, how it will look?

If it's that, I'm gonna be attempting at a spytech mining facility sorta thing.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Setpiece as in like, some focal prop of the area. Not all have them, but if you're doing a spytech mining theme, you could get away with a giant drill or something. Was just curious, sounds like a great idea.

Well, you see that pallet with the gold behind the point?

Under it is a deathpit, and the pallet of gold is a lift out of the mine.

Woozlez

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2010
I just found one of the .vmf's of mvm_underground on my google drive from 2012, so I decided to look at it.

It hurt my head.

2012:

ZiZen0l.jpg

2014:

RJQddB0.jpg

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Car lifts are cool, 10 out of 10 tc_hydros agree

Dain

Oct 21, 2009
KOTH map I'm working on. I'm getting Mid pretty much how I want it layout-wise before making everything else. Only major thing left to do here is make the ramps at the bottom right of the first pic into spiral staircases.

(Mad props to A Boojum Snark for helping me with the stairs around the cap!)

sYAZWRi.jpg

7ENMOjU.jpg

ClFf3hP.png

(might be a little hard to make out details with the devtextures :s)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
A word to the wise: If you made the clip brushes yourself, they're going to be invalid solids unless you split the top face diagonally by selecting the opposing corners in vertex-edit mode and hitting Ctrl+F. Which opposing corners, I don't know. One way makes it just slightly concave, and the other makes it just slightly convex; you want the latter, but I don't know how you'd check without trial and error.

Dain

Oct 21, 2009
A word to the wise: If you made the clip brushes yourself, they're going to be invalid solids unless you split the top face diagonally by selecting the opposing corners in vertex-edit mode and hitting Ctrl+F. Which opposing corners, I don't know. One way makes it just slightly concave, and the other makes it just slightly convex; you want the latter, but I don't know how you'd check without trial and error.

You mean the purple clip brushes on the staircase? I just used vertex edit mode and pulled down the top-outer vertices to the bottom so they became wedges. Alt-p doesn't show any problems and it compiles fine.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, you might have problems when you actually go into the map, due to attempts to "fix" the brushes. You'll definitely get a message when you reload the VMF. Basically, the only wedges that are likely to be valid are ones placed at 90 or 45 degree angles, since the solid is perfectly symmetrical. All others fall prey to irregularities caused by grid snapping.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I think a bit more overhang of those roofs would be nicer. Only on the gray building the overhang looks good with its shadow, but on the other buildings it looks thin. Barely any shadow is coming from them.

Oh, and that ladder on the left blocks light. Either make it not block light, or change the compile options so it doesnt just use the bounding box for light (personaly i recommend this to do, there are a few light parameters for vrad allowing better results)