WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
I can confirm that effects/water_warp.vmt is in the gamefiles.
Code:
"Refract"
{
   "%keywords" "tf"
   "$refractamount" ".05"
   "$refracttint" "{205 225 255}"
   "$refractblur" "1"

"$scale" "[1 1]"

"$bumpmap" "dev/water_dudv"
   "$normalmap" "water/tfwater001_normal"
   "$bumpframe" "0"

"Proxies"
   {
     "AnimatedTexture"
     {
       "animatedtexturevar" "$normalmap"
       "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$bumpframe"
       "animatedtextureframerate" 30.00
     }
     "TextureScroll"
     {
       "texturescrollvar" "$bumptransform"
       "texturescrollrate" .1
       "texturescrollangle" 45.00
     }
   }
}
There also exist _well and _2fort variants. These are however screenoverlays and can not be used in a map properly.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Some folders are automatically filtered out of the material browser because they're not normally meant to be used on brushes. /models/ is one; /effects/ is another. And there's no way to manually enter the path. I think the only workaround is to find a map that already uses it and get it into the recent materials list that way; that's what I did, back in the day.

Really, though, you might be better off making your own copy and putting it someplace where Hammer can actually find it. Tumbo already posted the source code, so you can just copypaste that into Notepad and save it as a VMT. Come to think of it, if there's someone here who knows how to work with material proxies, we might be able to come up with a way to use PlayerProximity attribute to counter the weird scaling issue.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
I don't think water against a flat plane of glass would be distorted though. It'd be just like a fishtank, right?

I'm pretty sure the caustics would travel through the glass, get refracted a little, then carry on until they hit something solid before showing.

May 25, 2015
Some folders are automatically filtered out of the material browser because they're not normally meant to be used on brushes. /models/ is one; /effects/ is another. And there's no way to manually enter the path. I think the only workaround is to find a map that already uses it and get it into the recent materials list that way; that's what I did, back in the day.

You can also go into the tf.fgd and edit the "effects" path out of the materials exclusion list.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Second point.
20160803160232_1.jpg
20160803160255_1.jpg

Too similar to Process, everything to the left basically has the same setup, just with one less entrance into lobby and without the lower exit from Computer

»FF« Wanderer | Engie

L1: Registered
Nov 27, 2015

Really, though, you might be better off making your own copy and putting it someplace where Hammer can actually find it. Tumbo already posted the source code, so you can just copypaste that into Notepad and save it as a VMT. Come to think of it, if there's someone here who knows how to work with material proxies, we might be able to come up with a way to use PlayerProximity attribute to counter the weird scaling issue.

There is a rapture based map for sfm
Its name is sfm_jamaneedleinyourarm, maybe that will work

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010

The more I see of how pristine this map looks, the more the broken bits - the walls, the ruined fountain - stand out as really strange. What caused such tiny specific destruction? Did a battle take place here with precisely four hand grenades used?

EDIT: You also still have the wierdly sagging roofs - and the barbed wire on fourth-storey rooftops looks really strange - who put it there and why? I understand the logic behind putting it on low roofs - its a good way to denote unwalkable surfaces, sure - but beyond that there are far more seamless ways to keep people off blocked rooftops.

The shiny pristine metal railing in the bottom right is also really jarring.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
The more I see of how pristine this map looks, the more the broken bits - the walls, the ruined fountain - stand out as really strange. What caused such tiny specific destruction? Did a battle take place here with precisely four hand grenades used?
Assuming this is WW2 London, the blitz was less of a carpet bombing and more bombs dropped out of the sky at random

e: actually now looking again those holes are rly weirdly placed for bombs so nvm

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
The blitz was less of a carpet bombing and more bombs dropped out of the sky at random

Well firstly not always, see coventry, but those bombs did not blow six-foot circular holes in walls and leave the entire rest of the city pristine and untouched. There's not even any damage or smoke in the 3D skybox!

Look at the image results for "blitz damage" - I can see one image on the whole page that's similar to what Valentine has - this one. You'll notice that sure, there's only a small hole in the wall, but the rest of the building is completely gutted- the floor has been blown down, all the windows blasted out, the roof is cracked and holed, and there's a massive pile of rubble! It's not a decorous little breach.

If i had my way this would be a PSA distributed with every copy of frontline - don't try to do "ruins" unless you're willing to go all-out on it.

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Well firstly not always, see coventry, but those bombs did not blow six-foot circular holes in walls and leave the entire rest of the city pristine and untouched. There's not even any damage or smoke in the 3D skybox!

Look at the image results for "blitz damage" - I can see one image on the whole page that's similar to what Valentine has - this one. You'll notice that sure, there's only a small hole in the wall, but the rest of the building is completely gutted- the floor has been blown down, all the windows blasted out, the roof is cracked and holed, and there's a massive pile of rubble! It's not a decorous little breach.

If i had my way this would be a PSA distributed with every copy of frontline - don't try to do "ruins" unless you're willing to go all-out on it.
Dont worry I have a plan :hint:

Side note, I am trying to be really different from everyone else. Going for early war and trying to stay away from the entire trench and brown look.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I don't think water against a flat plane of glass would be distorted though. It'd be just like a fishtank, right?
This is true, but that's the effect they use in BioShock, and it's not like TF2 is a particularly realistic game anyway. Besides, when you go underwater, or are hit with jarate, you get that exact wobbly effect filling the screen; that's what water_warp is used for. With the limitations of Source (and possibly every current game engine), it's either that or no effect at all.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Guys i need help again!
I created a skybox wich works well execpt part of the skybox itself is visible in-game!

How can i fix this issue?

(http://imgur.com/a/0vBD8)
You did put it in its own skybox right? As in, removed it from the main map, place it somewhere else in the vmf file, then enclose it in its own skybox brushes. If you leave it within the same skybox brushes as your own map then yes, it'll be visible.