Welcome to the Jungle (Theme)

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Well, time to finally start mapping for this and asym after 3 weeks complete break

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
pl_enclosure confirmed. Get in here @AsG_Alligator
Me atm:
3d4.gif

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Valve's working on a new map? Would be nice if they finished the old new map first :/

For what it's worth, we don't actually know if there's a new map. The screenshot they showed was of "island_test," which seems to indicate that they don't have an artpassed proper map to show off. It could be that they've got a new map in development, a beta map being done in this theme, or maybe no new map at all. Knowing that Valve likes surprises, we probably won't know until the update ships.

EDIT: I missed a detail. oops

Last edited:

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
So instead, we’re bringing the tropics to you, with a new tropical jungle-themed map we're working on!
It could be that they've got a new map in development, a beta map being done in this theme, or maybe no new map at all.

Well they say they're working on one, I would hope they release it at some point in whatever state they choose. Though it kinda feels like they are jumping the gun announcing this when they've got so many other projects to work on like aforementioned asteroid and cactus, a new campaign(?), or even comp.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
Random Thoughts
I am excited by this development as I have been planning a map in India for some time.
I recall ideas for Mayan maps set outside of the jungle such as maps based around museums, these would likely be excluded from the new criteria though I don't believe any got off the ground. Furthermore since the blog-post calls for 'all things tropical' I wonder if this includes island-themed stuff outside of the jungly banner
Right now the artpass for Cactus Canyon is preeeeeeety lame. I wouldn't be surprised if its desert theme were junked in favor of jungle, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Valve pulled some other map out of its ass and CC sits in limbo for another three years

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You know, it occurs to me that this theme could end up being bad for performance and clarity because a proper jungle is so full of trees and smaller plants. The game started out making use of mostly desert environments because deserts are so empty aside from whatever buildings you put in them. Just rocks and cacti here and there. And even in the alpine theme, you just had clusters of pine trees outside the field of play, which are rendered as just piles of cones. Granted, they could just end up making it really sparse so it only barely reads as a jungle, or go for some narrative where RED and BLU have been clear-cutting the rain forest because that's the kind of companies they are.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You know, it occurs to me that this theme could end up being bad for performance and clarity because a proper jungle is so full of trees and smaller plants. The game started out making use of mostly desert environments because deserts are so empty aside from whatever buildings you put in them. Just rocks and cacti here and there. And even in the alpine theme, you just had clusters of pine trees outside the field of play, which are rendered as just piles of cones. Granted, they could just end up making it really sparse so it only barely reads as a jungle, or go for some narrative where RED and BLU have been clear-cutting the rain forest because that's the kind of companies they are.

Borneo does it pretty well. The playable space of the map takes place in a cleared area, and all of the jungle clutter is communicated through skycards and the skybox, with a few trees/plants remaining in the playable space so that the contrast isn't so obvious.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
de_logs from CS:GO also has a good method of keeping jungly stuff out of the play space by making the majority of the level on a plowed over road, in a valley/ditch, or cave-y areas.

de_log-03.jpg

Plus, the tf2 team has a way of making maps that look/play just as well (or better than) as the originals with their original design theories in mind. Out of anybody, I trust them the most to make a good jungle map!

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
I haven't played TF2 for a while and I'm starting to notice it looks aged. Like, really aged.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I haven't played TF2 for a while and I'm starting to notice it looks aged. Like, really aged.
that should be great for you given how much you love ancient games

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
that should be great for you given how much you love ancient games

Mmm yeah baby pong give me those sexy squares ohhh yeeeeah

Last edited: