The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

AlexCookie

Suspect of eating cookies alive
aa
Apr 21, 2016

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Sky_twilight has random orange line below horizon level in one of the corners. Should never be visible in complete map but could be fixed anyway

E: Indeed as said, should never be visible

Last edited:

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
most skyboxes are super messed up below the horizon its kind of normal

the few that aren't are exceptions made for maps with cliffs

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Hey @Crash ,@Void , there's a small problem with the default particle manifest. The YOURMAP_manifest.txt file should be renamed to YOURMAP_particles.txt. as it doesn't work in the current state because of this. The frontline_demo particle manifest is named correctly though.

whoops.gif.

This was one of the last things that we did in the pack trying to get organized, guess it got messed up in the crunch.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Sky_twilight has random orange line below horizon level in one of the corners. Should never be visible in complete map but could be fixed anyway
most skyboxes are super messed up below the horizon its kind of normal

the few that aren't are exceptions made for maps with cliffs
Skyboxes are made for sort of horizon and up. Anything below that and Source just stretches the last line of pixels downwards until it hits the intersection of either nodraw or more skybox at the bottom. This wouldn't be an issue with skyboxes that are essentially a gradient (like tf_sky_04 or sky_upward), but as soon as you put detail in there it's gonna look weird. Doublecross is an exception though, as below the horizon the skybox is just a solid white (even though there's no white to be seen in the bottom part of the skybox), visible if you fall down the bridge into the pit. Don't know what's causing that though.

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
Hello I am a slightly-experienced mapper who has some drive.
I am interested.
okay great my email is SCRUBBED I know it sounds childish but I was into minecraft when I made it and for some stupid reason I'm too lazy to get a new one.
Once you send me a test email we can start brainstorming and dividing rolls
THANKYOU!

Last edited by a moderator:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Hi, folks. I have a question.

I see a lot of ssbump VTFs that use BGRA8888 compression rather than DXT1/5. There's one there that's over 10MB. Was the decision to use this compression made because of the need for very high quality with no noticeable compression artifacts? Or is there some other benefit?

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Hi, folks. I have a question.

I see a lot of ssbump VTFs that use BGRA8888 compression rather than DXT1/5. There's one there that's over 10MB. Was the decision to use this compression made because of the need for very high quality with no noticeable compression artifacts? Or is there some other benefit?

It may have been an oversight. Uncompressed textures became habit when I was working on Camp Redmond, which was also during the time I was working on a lot of stuff for Frontline. We tried to catch some of those uncompressed textures before going live, and we actually did catch most of them, cutting total filesize in half, but some must have slipped through the cracks. I'll take a look when I'm not occupied with the jam to fix some of those for v1.1, sorry about that!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Look around in the tzu file. They're under "sky_(skyboxname)_ex". When using them in your map replace the "_ex" with "_01" and you should be good to go.

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
ALL MY YES

GooGuGajoob

L12: Pro-crastinator
Mar 28, 2014

xzi

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2009
So, still relatively new to hammer and using interlopers.net to check for errors. I seem to be having issue with skyboxes and models in particular from this pack.

can't load skybox file skybox/sky_earlymorning_02 to build the default cubemap!

and

make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: cannot convert (when I have models enabled)

The map otherwise compiles 100% fine and runs fine with no issue, the skybox/lighting is perfect despite the error but is this going to cause me problems when my map starts getting larger?

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Those two errors can be safely ignored. The skybox error happens with all skyboxes, even stock ones, and some stock props (such as the missiles found in Granary and Powerhouse) create the make_triangles one.

Last edited:

xzi

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2009
Okay, thank you! was desperately trying to figure them out and couldn't for the life of me.