TF2Maps Presents: The Summer 2017 72 Hour TF2 Jam!

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
summer2017_header_text_smaller_updated.png

Header by Iiboharz & Fuzzy

Feel that? Long days on the beach, sunscreen on your nose, and for those in the southern hemisphere: neither of those, probably. Ahh, feels like summer. Axial tilts aside, there's one thing that we can all join together in this time of year - and that's the bi-annual 72 Hour TF2 Jam! With 686 submissions this last Winter, are you up to the task of breaking that record once more? Then c'mon and slam! And welcome to the Jam!

summer2017_start.png

Time Converter at worldtimebuddy.com

New to the Jam? Here's what to do: make things for or about Team Fortress 2, in less than 72 hours. Maps, models, videos, artwork, fanfiction, articles, games, mods, sculpture, interpretive dance - it’s all good! Then post it on the site to show us what you’ve made - and we’ll give you an in-game medal so you can show the world just how much you do for the TF2 community.

summer2017_redkite.png

summer2017_donate_warning_fix.png

This time, we've brought friends! Alongside business as usual, this summer's Jam will be running a charity drive in proudly supporting the Australian-based charity group, Redkite! This charity provides support to children and young adults with cancer, and the loved ones who care for them. As Redkite supported @Freyja in her recovery, this is our way of giving back. Those who donate a minimum of $6 AUD [A little less than $5 USD] will be given a unique in-game medal separate from the main Jam medal.
summer2017_rules_2.png

• Make something for or about Team Fortress 2.
  • Do not start before 6PM GMT on Friday, August 4th, 2017. Finish before 6PM GMT on Monday, August 7th, 2017.
    • You can plan before the Jam starts if you want, but don’t start working! (See the FAQ for more on this, and for entering at different times).
  • Before time ends, post a download for your content in the 72hr Entries Category.
    • This lets everyone see what everyone has done, and provide help and feedback.
  • You may use publicly available resources or tools such as ABS's Mappers Resource or Fuse, but you must credit them appropriately.
    • This also applies to custom content or templates - use it, but let everyone know where you got it from.
    • Everything you enter has to be your own work - no stealing stuff!
summer2017_medals.png
As per usual, everyone who enters will get a medal to wear in-game! The medal has been kindly made for us by Zoey "Zobot" Smith, and looks like this. We have a semi-automatic system for handing out medals, so if you want to get one you must do the following.
  • Post your entry as a forum download in the 72hr Jam Entries category.
  • Connect your forum account to the steam account you want the medal for here. It won't be tradable, so make sure it's for an active account.
  • If you have more than one collaborator on a project, PM me when you submit it. I'll need their steamID too, and what work they did on the project.
  • If you haven’t done this within three days of the end of the jam, you will not get a medal - so be sure to do this!
  • We reserve the right to not give the medal to low-effort entries! If you’re just entering to get a medal, try to test yourself!
    • To clarify, you won’t be denied a medal for not being very good, but you might be denied if you don’t try hard.
    • Examples of things that might not count: hastily-made MSPaint pictures, loadout pictures, stick-figure art.
    • Obviously, you don’t get a medal if you break any of the rules.
For the medal of the Redkite Charity Drive, it has been provided by Zoey "Zobot" Smith, Fuzzymellow, and myself - and looks like this. We'll be using the same system to distribute these medals, but to get one, you'll need to do things slightly differently. Here's how!
  • When donating $5 USD or more to the Charity Drive, leave a link to your Steam URL in your donation message.
  • If you accidentally donate without leaving a Steam URL in the comments, PM me with proof of your donation [an email, receipt, etc] and a link to your Steam URL.
  • One per donor! We appreciate multiple donations to the charity, but we'll only be distributing one medal per Steam URL.
summer2017_community.png
If you want to join other people participating to chat we have a Steam chat (always busy) and a Discord (a bit quieter. Join our steam group to get notifications about tests. We also have a hashtag: use #tf2jam to find other participants on twitter/tumblr/instagram/myspace etc.

Feel free to post and update your entry at any time during the event - and make sure to drop in to other people's threads and share kind thoughts and constructive criticism. We also love people streaming: if you're planning on streaming your efforts, post a link to your livestream here - 14Bit has made a guide to getting a countdown clock on your stream here. Don't post things on the Steam group main page, though: we don't check it very often.
summer2017_faq.png
Can I make a -
Let me stop you there: yes, if it's related to Team Fortress 2. If it's lewd or NSFW, though, we would prefer you hosted it elsewhere and post a link, marked as NSFW, to it, rather than uploading it directly to here - this stops it being previewed on the front page.

Can I enter on another day?
Yes - you can enter on whatever 72hr period you wish, though we suggest you do so before the normal contest time. Simply post the dates/times you wish to enter in this thread, and i'll make a list.

We can't promise to provide the same amount of support for people entering outside the normal time, but we'll do our best.

Can I collaborate with someone else?
Yes! Make sure to credit everybody involved when you make your upload though.

Do I need to be a TF2Maps member to join?
Nope! Or, well, sort of. You’ll need to join the site to upload your entry, but this is open to everybody, even those who’ve never been here before.

What can I do before the Jam starts?
This depends on what it is you want to do with the Jam. Do you want to go from a completely blank slate to a finished project, or meticulously plan every detail before opening your chosen tool? Either is fine.

What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The Jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new.

What if I don’t want to abide by all these cruel and restrictive rules?
That’s cool. We’re not fussed. We’re glad you’re joining us! However, please let us know if you’re doing that – its not fair to other people if some get to start earlier, say. You probably won't get the medal, though.

How can I get feedback on my project?
The two best ways are to post a thread on the forums, and to join the steamchat and ask people what they think - we're always happy to help. If you want your map tested, similarly join the steamchat and ask - we can show you how to get it added to the list. There are a few other rules that maps need to abide by for us to test them (since doing otherwise can break our servers) - see the bottom question below.

I want someone to collaborate with me!
This isn't a question. However: post in the thread you're in right now, and maybe someone will offer tojoin you. (It usually helps your chances to say both what you're good at and what ideas you already have.)

What are these extra rules for testing maps?
  • Don't use special characters or capital letters in your filename.
  • Maps must be able to spawn at least 24 players (12 per team).
  • Include some lighting - no fullbright maps.
  • If your map requires point_servercommands to be active, then contact an admin before running it. We reserve the right to refuse any map like this.
We will be running a separate server for MVM maps. Speak to a admin to have your map tested on this.

When does the Charity Drive start and how long will it last?
It will start alongside the Jam, and will be linked accordingly. Once running, you can then donate at will. We'll be monitoring the drive closely in the weeks after the Jam, so feel free to donate in that time as well. Our authorization to fundraise lasts until December 2017, so officially, we can run it until then.

Can I get both medals?
If you fit the criteria for both, of course!

Can I get the Charity Medal if I don't participate in the Jam?
Sure! We'd really love to have you on board for the Jam as well, though this isn't necessary when donating.

---

The 72 Hour Jams have become a staple of the TF2 community, and we look forward to running them twice a year. If you're new to this or hesitant to try it out, please, by all means, I encourage you to go for it. These events are all about bringing the community together and making great things. Even if you think you're not artistic, you'd be surprised at what you can do! If you've been around the block a few times, always remember to help out others, and share your knowledge. We're all in this together!

As always, if you have any questions, drop into the Steam chat or discord, or drop me a PM!​

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
As Redkite supported @Freyja in her recovery, this is our way of giving back. Those who donate a minimum of $5 USD will be given a unique in-game medal separate from the main Jam medal.

This is really cool. Can't wait for things to get started!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Good thing this starts after all of the contests are over

Yeah, I could've swore they promised this would start before the contests would end. I hope the extra time it took setting this up will make everything run smoother when the Jam starts.

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
Time to hatch another plan to land on that showcase

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
eh, sure

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
I'm super hyped to participate again this year, and for a great cause this time too!

On a side note, @Void I made an updated guide for setting up the stream clock if you want to edit that link: https://tf2maps.net/threads/setting-up-the-72-hour-stream-countdown-clock.33066/

Edit: Well shoot, looks like I'm actually out of town that weekend and the weekend before. Looks like I'm doing an alternate timeslot for the 5th time in a row.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
For once, this Jam's primary date lines up with my schedule!

Assuming no significant roadblocks occur, I'll be streaming. I've even got a nifty setup planned! Here's a teaser:

vmsrm73.png

Last edited:

Ixy

L2: Junior Member
Jan 29, 2016
Oh THANK THE DEITIES this is on the one weekend this summer I don't have other plans. So. Relieved.

Jam & charity drive? Love it. And what a great cause!

Hype-fueled brainstorm session commencing . . . .

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Well, decided to not do a sleepless night this time, and... here goes, I missed this post by five hours.
I'm really excited for what I am to come up with this time. I have no idea as of now.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
NSFW allowed? Time to make a full Erotic Short Novel. yaoi as fuck

Oh and I might make a map too, whatever.

Last edited: