SFM megathread

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I don't think it's fixed because I just saw the issue. You just have to rebuild cubemaps and then restart SFM, worked for me.

Also, YM, that doesn't feel right to me. I can't tell if thats a fly through, or an action video. It's really jumpy and random between scenes. It feels like it starts as a decent flythrough, but then switches, then switches to a kind of cool thing with the scout, then it's just really random. I feel like if you were trying to show off your map, you didn't do it too well. The music isn't that great, since there are breaks. It sounds like you used the Meet the Engineer sound file, but took out the dialogue. You should just get the actual song track, and put it in there.

tl;dr: YM, you're video is blegh, random, jittery, and doesn't show off your map well.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
xzzy adjust the camera's tonemap slider.

Just tried that, it appears to have absolutely no effect on the scene.

Maybe it's the bsp itself? Valve maps don't have any problems.. I wonder if it's the fog settings on stoneyridge or something that's doing it. Or maybe it's because that particular compile didn't have HDR lighting run.

Guess I'll have to experiment some more.

ev149

L1: Registered
Feb 11, 2011
Just got in. Not entirely sure how since I accidentally took the survey on a Mac and SFM isn't OS X compatible, but whatever.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I don't know what it is, but I cannot learn from videos and I feel like a complete idiot trying to do anything. Nothing sinks in and I am just getting frustrated.

I need someone to write huge text tutorials before I can even attempt using this. Ugh.

I mean, I see how video tutorials are the obvious choice for this, but god, I can't do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPixel

Apr 22, 2012
A little tip, export your vid as image sequence and put it with VirtualDUB togehter. With that Method Depth of Field will be added. (Normal Video export doesn't do that)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I can confirm that that is a false statement. I just did a test render and depth of field works just fine in exported movies.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I took the liberty of yoinking the sweet sunset skybox from "Meet the Engineer", only to realize I have no idea how to construct a convincing light_environment. Especially one that takes place in the middle of sunset after the sun has stopped casting any direct light on the world at all. Bizarrely, it has a set of HDR images (which look really freaky and overexposed), unlike nearly every skybox in the actual game. Reminded me just how little I know about how HDR actually works in Source.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I did that too and made a test of Anthem with it, but didn't like the tone it gave the map.

What you want to do (I believe) is use the brightest color in the skybox in the Brightness field, and the darkest in the Ambient field. This is easier if you drop it into Photoshop and look at it. Actually, it's in Rexy's guide too. I actually did this and then just deleted the environment settings because I'm a jerk.

Actually, I wonder if using the purple that the lights in the MtE map use would be better. Hrm.

Last edited by a moderator:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, you can grab colour values through photoshop, it actually throws out the numerical values of the RGB settings (where ever you place the curser with the pepitte tool i believe it is), in the colour tab so you can grab the values there.

Roosevelt

Jun 28, 2012
It appears my computer is a bit weak and can't quite handle the program. Loading takes a long time, the graphics are horrible, audio is out of sync, and I get an annoying white line across the camera.

Looks like it is time to upgrade.