SFM megathread

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by YM, Jun 27, 2012.

1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 9
  2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I signed up for a key a while ago!

Here's hoping it doesn't turn into Garry's Mod

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. LMFAO

LMFAO Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Signed up as well.

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sure it wont, it looks like it'll be far easier to make something worth watching than using Gmod. There won't be any of that flailing arm shit there is from Gmod.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  5. LMFAO

LMFAO Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Agreed. I can't afford GMod.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    This really will help bring Source Modding to a new level, I predict.

Now, we just need an update source code.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I'm really excited about this, and the fact that this is Source is making me even more excited. whoo

8. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Rewatching the SFM intro video, they talk about the workshop being constantly filled with new set pieces for film makers. Wonder if that means purely items, or they're going to consider adding maps to it? Hate to bring this old debate up again, considering I don't think they will, but this is the best supporting argument for the idea I've ever heard.

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This really gives me the feeling back, that Valve didn't forgot us. :D

10. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    From what I see, and from what I know, we might see a TF2 Map workshop, if the CSGO map workshop does well.

As mappers though, we can make whatever the hell we want.

11. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    There isn't much point, there are so many TF2 maps already and most people have some number of custom maps on their hard drive that there's already a huge wealth of sets to film in.

With the current legal agreement it's a really bad idea but I'm sure they'd have a new one if they introduce maps.

I will be using this first and foremost to film a demo-reel of my maps, since I've wanted to do that for a LONG time.

Also now it'll be SUPER easy to film intro-videos for maps, so maybe that'll be a popular thing again?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Once I get home and can access the beta, I'll probably do a "test" of this with Backlot... It looks relatively straight forward to use, but I really still wonder what OTHER uses this will have, outside of TF2 Mapping.

13. Bloodhound

Positive Ratings:
    Somehow I just feel forced to say something about the workshop, also it's offtopic.
    I think the workshop for items was really successful, many weapons got ingame.

And if the same thing would happen for maps, that would be good, because some over here deserved it.

The risk is, that we end up with 1336 trade maps, with 1338 favorites and 7331 likes, so the quality maps are going lower in the ranking, let's hope valve has a solution for this.

But all-in-all I think the workshop would be a good idea, more people would play custom maps them because it's better/easier accessible for them. Although all comments would be like "LOV3 IT!!11".

14. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Oh come on, the spasm physics were cute. Completely unprofessional, but still hilarious.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    This is going to be so great. No more days of painfully using the TF2 beta build of SFM, which was a complete mess and had more bugs than hats in the game right now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    For a very short amount of time.

17. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  18. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    So, how do we find out if we've been accepted for the beta? I did the survey, but I didn't get a "yay you finished the survey" email or anything.

Will it just appear in downloads? Lulz.

19. Tom Hoen

Tom Hoen L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I already came up with the idea for movie I'd like to make someday. It would have Red team using real life computer for making their own movie. Maybe in the beginning they would come out of various places like orange box, books and comics. They would gather around the computer and start using it. The scale for the team would be small, something around 3-4 cm high compared to real world. With this scale the heavy could jump on various keys on keyboard to push them, scout could douplejump and pretend to be pushing them, soldier blasts himself on top of the screen, engineer repairs something and someone uses the mouse. The final shots of course would have the team gathered around the screen and being proud of their movie.

This idea came to me just before I fell asleep so it might be bit messy to explain. I should draw storyboard from this.

20. Bloodhound

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 4