Microcontest #15: Robot Destruction

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I very much did not like this one at first, but by the end it was alright. The doors aren't used terribly well, I don't think, and they appear to be bugged. The reactor core room doors for Red never reopen after Blu caps, and while I can't replicate it for the other way around, I was sure it was happening to both teams during the test. This resulted in half of mid being entirely dead ends instead of quick ways into the reactor rooms as intended. Mid is the big issue here; I don't think it's fun to fight in, around, or across, though the broken doors might have been contributing. I almost think making it rotationally symmetrical might work, but that would take a lot of time and effort to figure out with how the bases are set up. I know this isn't terribly useful or actionable feedback, but I don't have much else to say on this one and I trust your skills as mappers to figure out what's best for this really quite neat layout.
Just for your curiosity, we were initially going to do rotational symmetry, but decided that mirror symmetry made more sense. ctf_chin uses rotational symmetry to direct players out of one base's exit into the other base's entrance, since the map is only really meant to flow in one direction. We wanted the chin-style dropdowns to be a side objective rather than the main feature, so mirror symmetry seemed to make more sense. Rotational symmetry could work for the same idea, but you'd end up with two dead ends instead of one.

(The real solution here is a smarter design for lobby that doesn't put the core entrance so far away, but we weren't able to make it work. The side entrance into the core room was originally intended as a route to B, but it made escaping with the core way too fast.)