Contest idea thread!

Lubaf

L1: Registered
Nov 4, 2011
Really Stupid Idea for a Contest: Payload Race TC

For the next contest, why not combine the two most unpopular map types into one unpopular monstrosity: A Payload Race Territory Control Map!

Okay, I know that was stupid, but I wanted to suggest it anyway.

Thanks
Luc "Random Map" French

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
I have a working version of that gametype. Granted, it's not RANDOM, but it is the same concept. It can't be random due to the hard 8 CP limit. Having 4 center points eats up the entire limit, so you would be forced to limit yourself to 3 center PLR rounds and 2 A/D rounds.

Last edited:

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
A reasonable Single-Stage Payload or 5 CP could be blocked out in 3 months as well. It's the multi-stage ones that give problems, as it's triple the work.

I don't think a multi stage map is TRIPLE the work, especially compared to a five CP, it's only one more CP. Granted there's more work to do with spawns and splitting up the stage, but not triple.

WastedMeerkat

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2009
How about a contest where the person who serves me best for the duration of the rest of their life wins? The prize could be a clipping of my hair or a personal belonging I don't find very valuable.

Mar 23, 2010
reverse artpass: use a theme pack and make the best map outta it (bulletcrops, construction). gotta use like 50% of the assets? i dunno. allow self made props/textures probably too.

Montezuma

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2010
reverse artpass: use a theme pack and make the best map outta it (bulletcrops, construction). gotta use like 50% of the assets? i dunno. allow self made props/textures probably too.
interesting, maybe add a specific gametype? Suppose it would make judging hard though. Kinda hard to remember which ones you liked when all your entries would be swamp-style payload maps

Codename22

L1: Registered
Sep 16, 2008
I like it.
Then people would be graded on their actual design more instead of the map's aesthetics.
OK, the props still need to be used right but now the emphasize is not so on the looks anymore since everyone is using the same theme. Now the implementation of the theme & the actual design skills can be tested in this contest.
I like a design contest much more over an artistic style of contest.
Also I think that most of us here are here to become a level designer and not a level artist!

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST
WE WANT A CONTEST

Please.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
There's already a contest RIGHT NOW.
And stop worrying, I already said earlier things are under control, a major contest will begin soon.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Someone, I think it was Frozen, mentioned while we were playing Foundry yesterday that it seems like basically an updated version of Fastlane, and that Valve should use that as an excuse to "retire" Fastlane.

Which got me to thinking.

There are a few community maps out there that are in pretty dire need of an update — some more radica than others — but whose creators are no longer interested in doing so. What if we partnered with Valve again for an official contest to fix them up? Pick some maps that clearly need a rerelease, post the source files, and let our mappers have at them. For every map that ends up being picked, the best edit/remake gets bought and made into the new official copy.

Mar 23, 2010
i say valve makes stamps you can buy to remove maps from the game. i think this would be a good way to "retire" fastlane.

Sep 1, 2009
Maybe a reverse payload? A ap were the payload is on the ceiling? XD

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I had this idea for a contest, maybe a mini-one, called "Bigger Isn't Better."

The idea would be to make a full-featured map that was under a certain file-sized when compressed. Say, 10 megs. The idea being that the smaller file sizes would be more of a boon for the community & server operators since they download faster.

It wouldn't be a hard limit, though, but if you went over a bit you might be docked a few points in scoring.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Would be an interesting challenge. It'd rely a lot on pre-existing models and textures (a single 1024x1024 texture is a meg!)

As well as a simple approach to brushwork and sparing use of displacements.