Contest idea thread!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by FaTony, Oct 8, 2008.

1. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    i trolled and now im banned :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    That was the point of the last 2 contests too.
    But indeed maybe we could take it to the next level.

But you should make a spawnroom first Fatony.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Uhuh this was where the fist of the mini-mapping ones was kinda going for but got sort of lost along the way. Your idea has been noted and will be considered next time we come do think up a contest.
    I've several times considered doing a 'Best TF2 scene made with Gmod' contest but I think Gmod is a little too, well, 'Those who can't map use Gmod'...

4. Snipergen

Positive Ratings:
    And I don't have Gmod :)

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Well yeah that too, but it is only $10...

/wonders what else other people want from contests

6. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Texture contest!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    needs moar specifics!

8. Snipergen

Positive Ratings:
    I changed the topic title to contest idea thread so you guys can submit ideas :)

9. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    make the best tutorial contest? (try to make a very original one..)
    make a famous building?
    ... :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The best Contest idea Contest. xD

Something thats a bit easier than the pl contest but harder than the make building/room contest. an Arena not very hard to make imo.

that tutorial contest is a good idea btw + it's always good to have some extra tutorials :p (make sure ppl say what the are going to do before they start (no double tuts))

11. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. Given a common basic building/map everyone uses that template and improves on it.

2. One weekend to make a basic cp map. Rush job. Textures and theme aren't known until the contest starts.

12. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I'd have to agree with tigger, except for the second one maybe allow a week to do your layout and then do a speed detailing- some of us suck at layouts and will never be able to do one that quickly.

Tutorial contest would be good too, the more tutorials the better.

13. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    What about we find a neat image somewhere on the web that fits the TF2 theme, then have everyone use that picture as inspiration to come up with their own building/room/etc...? It would be interesting to see what different people come up with while drawing from the same reference material.

14. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Mini-contest - 3D Skybox

?

15. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the idea of taking a template building and see what you can do with it from there. Possibly with some freedom as to change the surrounding terrain and other stuff, but you have to keep the building's basic shape. That wold help assessments as well as yield many results.

Another idea I have would be combining texture making and map detailing- make a scene using only textures made by you. Obviously since not many can model, and its a PITA to import them correctly, I wouldn't make it all custom models, but if you can, then that adds m0ore to your scene.

16. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the idea of a building with only your custom textures.

17. Username

Username L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    How about a template map, made only out of dev textures, and the contest is to texture and detail it?

18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Liking this one, more tutorials are always good, of course comunication is needed so that we dont end up with lots of duplicates.

Not TF2 related enough, there are other generic mapping sites that do contests like this (FPS wanting LHC maps for example) and we're trying to be TF2 specific.

This one has been bounced around the chat a lot, some of us really like the idea of templates whilst others (myself included) really hate the idea of templates.

No one can make a map in two days, its rediculous even to try (unless of course you're making a portal test chamber, then you could just about do it, but we're not doing portal mapping.)

I've thought about this one, it made it on to the shortlist for the next mini competition after the spawnrooms.

The main opposition to this is that it will create lots of similar maps, with turning a real world building in to the TF2 style there are only so many possible ways you can go for it. Its almost the same reason we've not done a template based competition yet but templates leave a little more scope for imagination.

All good suggestions so far, keep em coming.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  19. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    OMG I've just spent about 10 minutes figuring out this damn internal error message the forum is giving me and it seems that in the above block of text it didn't like the word I've separated, in to, when it was one word it didn't let me post it....

Edit: How much limitation do you want? we could go crazy and give you a one word theme and a timelimit and simply say "impress us" but that might be a little daunting....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  20. Psyphil

Psyphil L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I myself was thinking "Mini Contest - Capturepointarea" (with a maxsize for the area) but I really like the skybox idea!