Contest idea thread!

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
We still have a bit of a way to go before the BATT contest is over, but something just popped in my head and I'd like to see what the response here would be:

People are given a certain number of prefab brushwork dev-textured structures. They must build a map of any gametype using either all or most (depending on how many structures there are to choose from) of these structures.

The structures should be fairly recognizable so that people can see them in each map, but at the same time they should be versatile enough to where they can be used differently and have a different feel for each map.

Perhaps the best way to go about it would be to order it into categories, like so:
*Respawnroom (Must pick at least 2):
Structures/Screenshots of structures go here.

*Points/Objective Areas (Must pick at least 1):
1. CP Mid/KOTH (Or Arena) point:
Structures/Screenshots go here.
2. Payload/A/D Last:
3. CTF Intel Rooms:

*Miscellaneous Structures (must pick at least 4):

I think that last category is a bit broad, but it could be modified as whoever's running the contest sees fit.

Like the artpass contest, you may change the appearance of the structures, but can't change the structures themselves in any way that affects gameplay. For example, you can change the theme of the structures from dev to swamp to construction and then finally to construction in Egypt (or excavation or whatever), but you can't add extra walls or seal off different areas.

MoonHitler

L1: Registered
Jan 22, 2011
I think it would be better if you don't actually define the prefabs as being specific categories. Make the prefabs, put them up, and see what people make of them.

Regularjoe

L1: Registered
Mar 30, 2011
How about a parkour fortress contest?

Parkour fortress is a mod recently featured on kritzkast, that turns TF2 into Mirror's Edge. It is currently in open beta, so you can play it on mechatheslag's server. Currently, there are only three maps. Two of the maps are race modes, and one is a ctf variant with 3 neutral flags.

Here is a video of it in action.

Slag just released a sample SDK to teach you how to make the ziplines and doors you automatically punch open.

Apr 13, 2009
I've been thinking about a build around the track variant. Basically, instead of giving the contestants one track, they are given 4 pieces of track. Each piece of track presents a unique chalenge, and contestants can use 3 or 4 of them, pieced together in any way they want (well, so long as it results in one continuous track and no outside parts are added).
This give contestants a lot more freedom and should result in greater diversity while keeping a few recognizable elements to all entries.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You need to understand that the original artpass was done at the convinience of Valve because an ex-site mod had direct connections with Valve staff; we can't do an official artpass like in the past unless one of the site mods, probably Nineaxis (if he's still alive) or Ravidge as they speak to the TF2 team most out of the TF2m mods, liases with Valve again and if Valve even have an unfinished project they wish to throw out to the public.

Valve have been unusually quiet with us lately, possibly largely because they don't want to appear biased to any one online community; an issue they admitted being conscious of themselves.

It has been a while since an official contest for 2 probable reasons, 1 being that there has been a lot of community run unofficial mini contests like the 72 hour contest, BATT contest and Assignment contests. The other being that the mods who organise them have been very busy with personal things.

Other communities are also holding their own contests such as TF2mods halloween contest or NoHeroes Warpath artpass using the Halloween and/or Christmas themes. Some of these don't end for another month.

If i were to hazard a guess it'll probably not be until at least Christmas break until we get another official contest; and our mini-contests tend to be detail based anyway.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm actually keeping track of this, believe it or not.
The Assignment frenzy period ended 2 months ago, and another minor contest is sort of expected around now-ish. However, it's the middle of Halloween and people are busy, so I'm not starting something right this moment.

Contests are obviously a core part of this whole community so rest assured that it won't be forgotten (as long as I'm a mod, at least).

Mr. Wimples

Jan 27, 2010
You need to understand that the original artpass was done at the convinience of Valve because an ex-site mod had direct connections with Valve staff; we can't do an official artpass like in the past unless one of the site mods.

I haven't been in a hole for the past year, I do realize that. I use the term because the contest was named that and people have commonly referred to detailing contests as an "artpass". Also I do realize we have a few mini contests going on, and I definitely wouldn't advise springing a contest right now. I just meant that I'd like to see an artpass-like contest coming around in the near future. Possibly In December. The trick is we have to figure out what map to do it on and I'd prefer it's one which is generally liked, unlike Mountainlab which I rarely see played.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The trick is we have to figure out what map to do it on and I'd prefer it's one which is generally liked, unlike Mountainlab which I rarely see played.

It gets played less because Manor is the same map and enviromentally, its more "fun"... it is also isn't an event map.

Apr 13, 2009
RE: artpass contest. Rather than arbitrarily pick a map that half the site regulars are likely to dislike for whatever reason (see: batt unofficial contest), why not make a 2-part contest ? First, contestants make a undetailed map, best 2-3 layouts win. Then, they pick whatever base they prefer among the winners and detail it, best detail entries win this second phase.

English Mobster

Jul 10, 2011
RE: artpass contest. Rather than arbitrarily pick a map that half the site regulars are likely to dislike for whatever reason (see: batt unofficial contest), why not make a 2-part contest ? First, contestants make a undetailed map, best 2-3 layouts win. Then, they pick whatever base they prefer among the winners and detail it, best detail entries win this second phase.
I like this idea.
I like this idea a lot.

Terwonick

Aug 25, 2010
that/\

I think it would be a great official contest, that way, if you get behind in one section, you sill have the other to work on... i got behind on my artpass and BATT, so I ended up dropping both of them.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The issue with that, is that it will be double the length of a normal contest.

If you look at the (a)sym contest it was 6 months, which is kinda long... To do that, at minimum if you wanted a GOOD dev map, it would take 3-4 months, then probably take another month just to test and judge (based on how many entrants) and then another 3-4 month just to detail, then another month to judge... That is 8-10 months for a single contest... That is a LONG time and would be a lot of effort for the host. (not to mention, its double the prizes)

Terwonick

Aug 25, 2010
why not make it 2-3 months for the actual making of the map, then 2-3 for artpass, then it's more like 7-8 months, not as bad. plus stressful time limits make me work faster... if I like what I'm doing, and I'd like building my own map from scratch. and I would suggest just have it be two or three map types, preferably A/D CP, PL, and A/D CTF... You could call it the "Attack / Defend Contest" with every map being blu attack and red defend