"Broken" Downloads

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I just reuploaded my 72hr map and used the same version string as before in the version field, and the forum took it. It's now offering a 4.1MB download instead of a 0 byte one, so it's worked fine. Apparently there's no need to use a different version string.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
if my map is _a4 should i keep the filename and change the "version number" in the update to a4_reup or something or do i need to recompile
I think you don't have to, version number is just for site database and changing it is just what site requires for post update.

E: exactly what I mean. Change number on site, not on file

Last edited:

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I think you don't have to, version number is just for site database
sword says reupload the same file and just change the version number

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
How to Reupload your map properly:

Upload the exact same file again but just change the Version String field.

IP6f6VZ.png

Preferably just append _reupload to the current version number.

It doesn't matter if the Version String differs from your map's filename, it's purely for the system to identify it as a different upload.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
I suppose I should then reupload my latest version of my 72hr jam submission (aka the one I did with the last hours of the jam).

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Does this apply to all downloads or only downloads that were uploaded directly to the site?

I'm looking at my downloads, and they all appear perfectly normal. Correct tags, showing up in the category results, clicking "download" works, etc. So far I don't see anything wrong with them, so I'm wondering if I actually need to bump any of them.

Aug 30, 2015
External downloads are still up as evidenced by the fact that all my external downloads are still up

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
When a file is uploaded to the site, it gets assigned a unique ID number. When the site wants to display the content, it uses that ID number to reference it. The bug ended up generating new unique IDs for everything on the site, so any references to the old IDs end up returning nothing, because no files have that ID anymore.

Imagine if the entire population of a town were all assigned new names. Nobody would get hurt, but phone books would be useless.

External files are safe because they exist outside of the ID system. Download preview pictures also appear to be intact, so I imagine that they're associated directly with a download page rather than being stored as a separate asset.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
When a file is uploaded to the site, it gets assigned a unique ID number. When the site wants to display the content, it uses that ID number to reference it. The bug ended up generating new unique IDs for everything on the site, so any references to the old IDs end up returning nothing, because no files have that ID anymore.

Imagine if the entire population of a town were all assigned new names. Nobody would get hurt, but phone books would be useless.

External files are safe because they exist outside of the ID system. Download preview pictures also appear to be intact, so I imagine that they're associated directly with a download page rather than being stored as a separate asset.

Phone books are already useless.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Phone books are already useless.
congratulations! you are the piss lord of shit mountain. thank u for hefting turds down the mountainside so that we, the proles, may feast on your bounteous craps

Grubzer

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 3, 2016

Why not make file assigned to thread link?

Jul 26, 2015
congratulations! you are the piss lord of shit mountain. thank u for hefting turds down the mountainside so that we, the proles, may feast on your bounteous craps

Did I miss something

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
So, should i upload the old version again, but just change the v4-to-v5?
Exactly.

For everyone reuploading their jam entries: it would be preferable to update your existing downloads (Post Download Update, with new version string) instead of deleting them and creating a new one. This keeps the number of duplicate entries down and retains your original submission timestamp - which will help us greatly when we get the medals out.

EksCelle

L1: Registered
Mar 4, 2015
Thanks for the heads up, just re-uploaded my submission.

I really hope this gets sorted out, It would be a real shame to lose all these old assets made by inactive members that litter the site.

In the meantime, would it be possible to use archive.org to access old downloads?