US Scheduled Test (Mini-Gameday) - 3/22/2023

Added to Calendar: 03-22-23

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Hello. I will be holding a hybrid Map Test/Mini-Gameday starting at 6PM EST on March 22nd, 2023 on the US server. Mappers are to submit their maps to be tested in this gameday. This is not first come first serve; If your map is underdeveloped (We're not testing koth_firstmap_a1 here), broken, or otherwise obviously flawed, your submission will be ignored and will not be tested in this gameday. I will be combing through every submission on this thread at 9PM EST, 3/21/2023, meaning you have about one day to submit your maps.

Quick Info:
Host: @Katsu! :3
Time: 6PM EST, 3/22/2023
Server: US
Submission Deadline: 9PM EST, 3/21/2023

Submission Rules:
- Do not submit a map that is not yours unless you have been given grace by the original author.
- Do not submit a map if it is not on the TF2Maps bot, accessible via the TF2Maps discord or https://bot.tf2maps.net/maplist
- Do keep talks in this thread to map submissions only. No funny stuff.
- Please follow this submission format:
Author:
Filename:
Gamemode:
TF2Maps thread link:

Maps that have been accepted into the gameday pool will be shown here, as well as their download link.

Slot 1 - KOTH Rotunda, by @Brokkhouse - https://tf2maps.net/downloads/rotunda.15064/ | koth_rotunda_a7a
Slot 2 - PL Candyland, by @Sonoma - https://tf2maps.net/downloads/candyland.13069/ | pl_candyland_test1a
Slot 3 - RCTF Nile, by @Gismo Gaming - https://tf2maps.net/downloads/ctf_nile.15054/ | ctf_nile_a14
Slot 4 - PL Laborde, by @nesman - https://tf2maps.net/downloads/laborde.8559/ | pl_laborde_a39b
Slot 5 - CP Sector Sweep, by @Gruppy - https://tf2maps.net/downloads/sector-sweep.15348/ | cp_sectorsweep_a3a

Last edited:

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
wow talk about last second. Submissions closed now! I'll be reviewing the maps and I'll @ y'all when they're chosen.

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
The results are in; I'd like to preface this with the fact that the highest priority for a map being chosen out of these is that they have a decent chance of making it into the summer update. As such, there are admittedly some regretful cuts I have to make based on what I've looked at.

So, here we are:
@Brokkhouse, KOTH Rotunda will be in Slot 1. Your map will begin at around 6:05PM, EST.
@Sonoma, PL Candyland will be in Slot 2. Your map will begin at around 6:30PM, EST.
@Gismo Gaming, RCTF Nile will be in Slot 3. Your map will begin at around 7:10PM, EST.
@nesman, PL Laborde will be in Slot 4. Your map will begin at around 7:40PM, EST.
@Gruppy, CP Sector Sweep will be in Slot 5. Your map will begin at around 8:15PM, EST.

Like last time, I'll be providing some reasoning why anyone else's maps were not chosen here.
Sadly, as much as I wanted to play this map, I cannot accept it this time; The map is simply too broken to me for it to keep players on the server. I've been really looking forward to getting this map tested (and hopefully into the game), so please fix it up so we can play it next time! I love Canaveral :D
Honestly I don't really have much to say about Oasis; I think it's a good, well-made, well-detailed map with a lot of love and care put into it. I want to make sure other, not-already-on-the-workshop maps have a real shot of being finished so they can make the deadline of May 1st, so please don't be upset that Oasis was not included this time. Frey, Crash, you've both done great! <3
Culled for a similar reason as Oasis. Nothing really else I can add, sorry.
Map is very "safe" right now for a full release and I think I'll test this at a later date in a "quality assurance" test thing or something. You've done damn well, Capp. Hoping you'll make it out there with Gator Lake!
Your map is very strange to me. It heavily embraces what I like to call "Dustbowl Syndrome," which is having the BLU team run through small corridors and expecting them to have three medics, all with stock uber. While I respect your dedication to adhering to Dustbowl-styled gameplay, it is very hard to make a second dustbowl feel fun in the same way as Dustbowl already does. A notable example on your map would be when BLU has captured B, and are attacking C; You funnel the BLU players through two tiny choke doors where one gets spammed by all kinds of weapons and the other gets camped by the other half of RED. Your points are also very close together, which while it's interesting, I don't think it leads to fun gameplay. I think in the future, you should work on learning how to work with more open scaling options.
This map is hyperaggressive with its roll-forward zones and quite frankly I do not care for it. The map already had an issue with rolling, so why on god's earth did you put more roll-forward zones? I cannot even pretend to understand. It's like you're actively trying to make your map as easy as possible for BLU, which in my honest opinion is not how you should design a Payload map; A payload map, much like most other gamemodes, should desire to maintain a 50/50 split between what team wins each round, however this map is so hand-holdy that I feel like it will without fail result in a 70/30 winrate in flavour of BLU because that's how much you've tailored the map to be focused on only the attackers winning. Defense still looks unfun to play, as while they typically have the height advantage, their actual ability to setup in areas is subpar in anywhere but A, which somehow continues to be the best point on the map by a longshot. I feel some genuine anger towards' this map's design because, to me, it flies in the face of everything you should strive for when making a map fun for both teams. You get praise for detailing, but I refuse to play this until the roll-forward zones have been culled or almost completely culled and you give RED some more decent options.

Custard1

Dude, where's my free time?
aa
Mar 15, 2015
Sadly, as much as I wanted to play this map, I cannot accept it this time; The map is simply too broken to me for it to keep players on the server. I've been really looking forward to getting this map tested (and hopefully into the game), so please fix it up so we can play it next time! I love Canaveral
Curious about this, was it visual bugs or clipping or perf? I know performance hasnt been great of recent but I'm curious if its just a missing pack or some serious game breaking stuff

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Curious about this, was it visual bugs or clipping or perf? I know performance hasnt been great of recent but I'm curious if its just a missing pack or some serious game breaking stuff
Missing textures and the weird control point thing, yeah. I sent you some pictures on Canaveral's 5CP thread