The Mayann Project

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
well it would be awkward if an update went live and all maps had the same lighting, kinda like showing to prom and having everyone wearing the same dress. That aside, looking at the skybox itself it's pretty obvious that is was made to support a large range of light settings, providing a default would defeat the purpose.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
...would it?

most of the official maps with shared skyboxes only have slight variations

it's more like guys showing up to prom with the same suit, nobody would even notice

(i also have the mental image now of you guys comparing decompiled lighting settings to spot anyone making the Unforgiveable Mistake of sharing lighting settings)

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
A skybox is going to dictate environment light settings in the map. There is going to be little variation between colors and angles with maps that use the same skybox. Having baseline light_env settings is not going to make maps that use the same skybox feel like carbon copies. Are you forgetting that there will be other lights in the map besides the light_env?

As for "spoonfeeding", why bother testing and troubleshooting yourself to only arrive at the same or similar conclusion to whatever settings have already been found to work? Most Valve maps using the same skybox have identical or very similar light_env settings because they are just what looks most natural for that skybox. It's not entirely up to your creative discretion when deciding light_env settings because there's only a small useable range for whatever works with the sky texture.

Last edited:

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
You don't seem to be coming up with a good argument other than "people should know better" and that is never a good argument.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
There's disciplinary value in figuring out environment settings for yourself, and I'm glad that people want to make this community think more critically about mapping. However, the last 24 posts are evidence enough for me to say that this is not a good way to do it.

The amount of discipline it takes to adjust existing environment settings to better fit a map is less than the amount of discipline it takes to set up environment settings from scratch. It's a really arbitrary barrier that's only going to trip up the people that need this help the most.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Why are you all still discussing this, I gave you the information asked for like 18 posts ago.
Not putting those angle ranges and colour values into the accompanying txt was an oversight, and will be in the v2 pack

Until then, if anyone wants the values they're here:
Here are the colours from the skybox texture: https://coolors.co/app/e8e0c8-75779d-88838d-c0b4a8-000000 (From left to right: brightest, zenith, darkest, horizon opposite sun angle)

The sun will work in the rough range from [0 115 0] to [0 145 0] with a pitch from -20 to -45

And as always, any member who needs help can ask.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Not putting those angle ranges and colour values into the accompanying txt was an oversight, and will be in the v2 pack

Thank you. I - and I assume the others - were well aware that you had provided them, but buried in the forum thread is not a great place to put them compared to the pack itself. This is what we were asking for.

You might make an environment more friendly to people who want help by not spending so much time and effort talking about how and why you expect them to do it themselves.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
About the pack lighting, it doesn't really matter if the lighting is given with pre-fixed values. Those can always be changed and tuned despite of the skybox itself. I also think not too many maps look the same even if they are made with same skybox lighting values.

That being said, do you need any mirrors for the pack? I have server host sitting behind fast connection and i can mirror it if needed.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Are there going to be mirrored versions of certain props in the Content Pack Expansion? I would love some rock props for my mirror-symmetrical map.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

Ah, I should really search by thread before I post this sorta stuff :D

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
How about nuclear bombs? I mean do you know how big the spiders can be in Yucatan? Ugh

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
How about nuclear bombs? I mean do you know how big the spiders can be in Yucatan? Ugh
I love the beginning of it, but I think the shape is off. Try looking at the demoman explosion taunt (taunt_demo_nuke_shroomcloud) under taunt_fx.pcf

Pixenal

L1: Registered
Mar 16, 2016
Made a pillar prop for my mayann map, though it might be of some use to anyone else who wants to use it:
Link to download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/plmk4mlb4lr5am4/prism_pillar.zip?dl=0

Heres what it looks like in hammer:
tumblr_o92bd6p9Jt1u2t6smo1_540.png