The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
I love the pack but I have one fault with it unfortunately - "models\props_frontline\mine_naval_chain.mdl" has no animation for the chain once the attached mine would have detonated. It just sticks up with nothing to hold it up, when it should collapse into a pile after the mine detonates.

Given the level of detail and animations added to other props, I'm surprised this was missed.

Last edited:

ScotOfTheDay

L1: Registered
Mar 11, 2016
I don't have photoshop so I can't use the Frontline Thumbnail... Is there anyway you could pack a JPEG or a PNG version of it with all the content?

P.S. My trial already expired.... FeelsBadMan

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
I don't have photoshop so I can't use the Frontline Thumbnail... Is there anyway you could pack a JPEG or a PNG version of it with all the content?

I believe gimp supports .psd files without a plugin.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
I know at least one simple image editor which fully supports PSD. I still have it, downloaded when I needed a paint-like simple but supporting transparency editor.

Nuke

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 5, 2016
Time to think of new gamemode... and then dont make it cause it's 1st time you opened Hammer with great project in your head.. (*cough* Crash tutors *cough*)

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
btw the binary code is "We make good team, star shine. I love you. Thank you for everything."

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
That gives problems with VIDE not auto-detecting custom stuff.

Just keep everything in team fortress 2/tf. If you want to test your map for missing custom content, sv_pure 2 is the way to go.
it doesnt give problems to compilepal, so if you're using that feel free to put the custom content in tf/custom, it makes it much easier to tell what assets belong to what pack

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
That gives problems with VIDE not auto-detecting custom stuff.

Just keep everything in team fortress 2/tf. If you want to test your map for missing custom content, sv_pure 2 is the way to go.

By the way, @Crash are all of the bazillion materials included tagged with frontline in the vmt? Makes searching for them in the material browser a bit easier.

Personally I just put mine in the base directories, but it's personal preference.

And yes, I made sure everything has frontline tags on it!

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
i just scan the right custom content dir with vide and im good

at least as long as i dont use multiple custom content packs which would have each its own directory in custom each of which would have to be scanned

photoshop CS2 is free, isnt it?

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
photoshop CS2 is free, isnt it?

in a way; officially its only for owners of CS2, but due to the deactivation of their authentication servers, Adobe has the download on their website with an authentication code. I'd post a link but i'm not sure whether the staff would allow it, as it could kind of be considered piracy

Joshenkstone

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
I just checked and you can also open .psd files in GIMP2.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
InB4 someone re-themes dustbowl to the trenches
Yes.

Please yes. Remove all the high-ass walls, replace them with fences 'n shit, make BLU's first spawn an actual trench/beach landing, do some map balance changes while we're at it.

I'm all for it. I actually wanna do it. I mean, 2Fort got alien'd, this would be a great way to promote the pack too: a TFC map that went to TF2 only to go back to TFC-style gameplay (which was more modern shooter-y) with TF2's art style. I mean, I (along with Fubar and Exactol) already re-themed (and PD'd) Sawmill into Snowville with some map balance changes that were really liked by the people playing on it, so redoing Dustbowl wouldn't be a bad idea. At all.

ok fuck it im going to do it. i have all the time in the world right now because of vacation, this'd be an excellent project

Last edited:

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
I was thinking about it seriously, but I'd rather nah.
also, am I the only one who got that suggestion as an edgy joke about dbowl's linearness?

RataDeOrdenador

Oct 12, 2015
I was thinking about it seriously, but I'd rather nah.
also, am I the only one who got that suggestion as an edgy joke about dbowl's linearness?

Same here. But that "Dustbowl re-theme" sounds like an actual good idea. With all the gameplay changes,the Frontline art-style and such,this might actually work.

...I might even enjoy playing on this new FRONTBOWL (maybe? is that a good name? I'm too tired for this shit)

Joshenkstone

Oct 24, 2015
So I went back into the archives and found this tutorial on how to apply the overlay in GIMP2.8 by my great-great-grandfather Cave Joshen who worked at Aperture Sience.
So this might be helpful if you don’t understand how the heck GIMP works.
--------
Hello soldier, war-hero or Olympian.
I am Cave Joshen giving you a tutorial on how to apply the frontline thumbnail overlay onto a picture of your creations for the frontline update in GIMP2.8
--------
Step 1: The picture
First of all you’re gonna need a picture to put it on.
The recommended resolution for this is 512x512 because you won’t have to rescale anything.
I myself created this lovely picture of this hat I created all on my own here in Aperture Laboratories™.
supperamazingibus.png
Step 2: Opening the overlay
Now you gotta download the overlay by clicking here, if that’s done you have to open that overlay using GIMP2.8
Now I certain circumstances you can’t do this because GIMP2.8 isn’t installed on your PC.
If this is the case you can download it by clicking here.
Now if you successfully opened the overlay in GIMP2.8 it should look somewhat like this:
Schermafdruk 2016-07-15 17.03.38.png

Step 3: pressing the eyecon
at the right of the screen, or the left if you live in a different universe, you’ll see a box with all of the layers.
Schermafdruk 2016-07-15 17.01.35.png
Now select the layer which says “Example Image” and press the little eye next to it.
After this GIMP should look somewhat like this:
Schermafdruk 2016-07-15 17.04.04.png

Step 4: the actually image you want to aply the overlay to
Now select the image you want to aply the overlay to in windows explorer and drag it over to the box with the layers so it ends up under all of the other layers.
Schermafdruk 2016-07-15 17.08.24.png Schermafdruk 2016-07-15 17.09.03.png
Step 5: be done
Now GIMP should look kinda like this:
Schermafdruk 2016-07-15 17.07.45.png

That means that you’re done, you can export the picture as an .png and use it on the steam™ workshop.
supperawesomegibus2.png
This tutorial was brought to you by Aperture Sience™

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Can confirm, @Walter and I will remake Dustbowl into something appropriate for this update. He's a sound design genius (and since there are B17s in this pack which are big and scary when grouped in formation we'll have something that makes it sound even scarier), and together we'll try to make Dustbowl into something that people won't go "oh god not this map again" over. We'll start with the 72hr Jam next week, and try to get a lot of things done within that timespan. Luckily Dustbowl has been in this game for 9 years now, so we kinda know how it plays, making thinking of improvements a heck of a lot easier.

Stay tuned!