[OPEN] Tiftid's Sketchbook (Definitely not a front for my deranged ramblings)

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
This post was mostly prompted by the fact that I thought I had lost a bunch of VMFs forever, but as luck would have it, I had uploaded many of them to Discord, which allowed me to redownload them. In order to make sure I don't lose them again, I've decided to share them with the world, since it's not like I was doing anything with them anyway.

That means pretty much all of these are unreleased and untested, but I think plenty of them are actually good-quality maps. When I make maps, I tend to gravitate towards the ones that break the mold in some way, and leave the ones I make that are just good with not much interesting stuff going on in the dust, so you might be getting the gold here, not the dregs you might get from another mapper orphaning their stuff.

Most of these are "control point sketch vmfs" - single control points which can be dragged and dropped into a shared VMF to create an A/D or Payload map, only requiring you to do some work on the spawns and connectors between the points. I've also written guides informing you what you should look out for when doing just that kind of work.

Some of these revolve around only the backward hold, while others also propose where the forward hold and BLU lobby will be.
There are even some weird ones that only give you the BLU lobby and forward hold!

So, I've split them into 3 categories:
  • Single Arena maps will only be one fightspace, like only the forward hold of an A/D point, or just the mid of a KOTH map.
  • Two Arenas will refer to maps that have a lobby and forward hold, or forward hold and backward hold, or all 3 because even though 3 =/= 2, I'm feeling generous today.
  • Full Map will be a full, but not necessarily playable layout. It might need more logic, or clipping and sealing, or a layout rework, or being mirrored.

All the VMFs are attached to this thread. I honestly don't give a shit whether or not you credit me for whatever you do with these, I just want someone to get some use out of them.

I also attached some "gravelpit shack" VMFs that I like to use as instances. You'll need to put them in a subfolder named "instance" in whatever folder you put the other VMFs you downloaded from this thread in, otherwise some VMFs will be missing these gravelpit shacks, which are very important for gameplay.

[Single Arena]
Map | Month/Year | Image​
Ramblings (Please ignore for your own sanity, these are all like 400-500 words long, some longer)​
cp_firstpoint2 | Dec 2021​
1659714225600.png
Oh mannnn, I thought I had lost this one forever. Which would have been a shame, cause I really liked the ideas here.

In December 2021, I was madly experimenting with trying to make an A/D control point right in front of BLU's first spawn. It was probably the most diligently I've ever worked towards developing an idea, aside from when I made pl_boatload.
You see, I had recently played someone's first map that featured a control point like this, and I was in love. It felt like it brought out all of the 2007-y, Dustbowl-y parts of TF2 in a way that's impossible for people to justify making with modern mapping knowledge. But just making modernistic maps all the time is so boring!

So I sought to make something truly evocative of the worst best parts of TF2.

But before that, let's start with some good. This map puts BLU's spawn exits really far apart and on different height levels, so it's near-impossible to spawncamp them and stop them from reaching the point.
1659714003832.png
To make this not horrible for RED to defend, RED also spawns pretty close to the point, and the point has a long captime.

What really kickstarted (and also literally began) the VMF was the point area:
1659714118193.png

BLU can come from one of two directions, and there's no single position RED can stand at to stop them from reaching the point. They also have a couple of sneaky hiding spots (the blue dots) on the point, thanks to the little metal structure. This means it's easy for BLU to get onto and stay alive on the point, which in turn forces RED to push onto the point and flush them out. I liked the idea of it a lot. Still do, really.

Another area I liked is this underpass.
1659714330922.png

If BLU is uncontested, it's a really powerful flank that lets them undermine RED's strongest defensive position - the bottom of the metal ramp seen in top right frame. But RED can put a sentry in a little alcove under the ramp to stop BLU from using it against them, at the cost of easier corner-peeks from BLU's teammates on that sentry from the doorway, and less visibility onto the point area.

The visual style was actually pretty quaint too.
1659714541181.png

I had lots and lots of complex metal structures in some kind of vague industrial/construction theme. RED spawn would almost certainly have been some kind of brick building with how low and nostalgically framed in the scene it is.

Speaking of RED spawn, it's actually the biggest sore point of the VMF:
1659714648755.png

It's just two doors that exit into the same area. I think I meant for BLU to basically capture the point for free if they could reach RED spawn. In hindsight, that would have been really really unfun, and I'm glad that for later control points of the same archetype I chose to split RED's spawn exits more into different areas.

I think ideally you would move one of the spawn doors up to here;
1659714748561.png

And the other to this doorway, so it's harder for BLU to spawncamp.
1659714790417.png

I was scared to do this back in Dec 2021, because it would have meant that RED could have stickycamped the point directly from the safety of their spawn door. And rightly so, but I think the alternative is worse.

I think the main reason I never continued this VMF was because I was worried it would be too easy for BLU to capture. Plus I hadn't really built anything that could plausibly become a connector to the next control point. But there are some good ideas here.

Maybe if you moved BLU spawn further back from the point and mashed the disconnected tunnels together into more of a concrete forward hold area for RED? Or maybe you could just fully commit to the "point outside of BLU spawn" design and give RED wayyyyyyy stronger defensive positions. If you do that, I recommend a respawn wave time of 6 seconds for BLU. Trust me.
cp_test2 | August 2020
1659727400991.png
Just a simple yet good area right outside BLU spawn. The multiple height levels mean that it's reasonably hard for RED to stand in any one place that watches all of the BLU spawn exits at once. The connectors between BLU spawn and RED's forward hold are designed around classic TF2 gameplay elements like corners and ramps with health packs nearby that favour RED, but keep them constantly on their toes.

The height adds a touch of spice to these simple spaces, where while you're trying to push up a corner or ramp, you might catch flak from your enemy's teammates who are on a different part of the highground or lowground.

I keep looking back at this one and being surprised at how solid it is. I don't know why I didn't continue it back in 2020. Clearly I had bad taste.

Maybe it can act as a good start for your A/D map. It's one of few vmfs here that'll let you design your own forward hold and backward hold for the point that follows, instead of just being something self-sufficient you can drag and drop in.

But I would recommend it with a grain of salt, since the brushwork is not so good compared to the many newer vmfs in this sketchbook. It's not bad, but if you ever end up having to detail or displace it, you might regret it...
cp_test2_modernised | The upload date says March 2022 and I'm not sure I believe it but that's what we're going with
1659727937537.png
cp_test2, but I looked back at it and realised that it was worth expanding. Now, instead of just a BLU lobby, I also added a RED forward hold, where they have health and ammo under a little concrete ramp thing. I also turned it into payload and made it a little harder for RED to watch all of BLU's spawn exits at once, because it was still possible in some spots in the 2020 version.

This VMF is really sketchy, mostly because of this doorway:
1659728065945.png

This lets BLU do something uncomfortably close to skipping RED's forward hold. But if they couldn't, RED would basically never be forced to rotate, which would make for a pretty easy hold as far as first points go. I think it's fine, but you definitely need to keep it in mind as you build further.

There was also a version of this map where I had also built a backward hold. Unfortunately, I no longer have that VMF. A shame, cause I liked what I had built.
koth_waterpark_test1 | May 2022​
1659715997917.png
In May 2022, I would release B1 of cp_bruhstbowl.
It was a big milestone for me - my first map with not-forced and not-rushed detailing; so not-rushed it had taken me over a month to make, even though I had only detailed stage 1!

I was so excited to get it tested that I could hardly wait the 3 days it would end up taking. So I decided to make some KOTH A1s. I had recently participated in Microcontest 21, where I had made a CTF map in about 6 hours, thought "man wtf do I do now" and just slapped a second entry (a symmetrical 2CP map) onto it as a second stage, which also took about 6 hours. This taught me that I could make maps in a very short space of time, so I figured I would release daily KOTH a1s until cp_bruhstbowl_b1 was tested.

That's a pretty rich backstory for such a tiny VMF, huh. Well, basically, I wanted to make daily KOTH A1s, and I wanted each one to have a unique gimmick. For this one, it would be the relatively unexplored niche of underwater gameplay, which had nearly infinite potential to spice up the gameplay spaces I was building.

So I built this. The grey platforms can be swam under.
1659716321748.png

It was pretty complex, and it had a decent amount of potential to not suck. But I scrapped it quickly, because I feared the water would make it way too quick and easy for the team who owned the point to rotate between watching the attackers' entrances into the point area. In hindsight, that might have been a bad idea, so I'm giving you the chance to give this the new life it deserves.
pl_firstpoint1 | November 2021​
1659723057728.png
In my opinion, this is really a huge step down in quality compared to the other VMFs I've given you so far, but it's worth mentioning, since it serves as a companion vmf to pl_secondpoint1 and pl_lastpoint1 later.

This would have been the first point of a payload map called pl_desperation. The map idea was a symbol of the worst excesses of my misled mapping knowledge at the time; I thought it was important to have as few forward spawns as possible in Payload, so I wanted a map where BLU could attack all four points from a single spawn.

In order to achieve that, A had to be really close to BLU spawn physically, so that the walk to B, C and D from BLU spawn wasn't unbearable. The layout would be all compressed and convoluted and give BLU shortcuts and stuff to help them along on the path to D, so that they didn't have to experience the misery that is attacking Mountainlab C.

The problem is that having A be so close to BLU spawn is terrible. BLU is guaranteed to have an uber right out of the gates if they have a medic, and an uber-push usually guarantees RED loses their forward hold. But if A is that close to BLU spawn, RED has no forward hold. They just lose the point.

At the time, I tried to justify this by making the cart path long and winding, so that after BLU takes the A area, they have to spend time bringing the cart to the point to actually capture, which would give RED time to retake.

The problem with that was that shortly after making this VMF, I tested another, similar A/D concept which asked RED to retake a point area they'd already lost, and they consistently failed to do it. And especially for an A point, where RED spawns so far away - asking them to retake the backward hold after losing it is lunacy!

So, yeah. This will probably never work without massive changes. But it's here, as a not-so-proud part of my mapping history.

Also, I would like to point out that it's really easy for RED to stand in one place to watch both of BLU's spawn exits, whereas the time it takes BLU to walk between those exits is really long:
1659723591537.png

So maybe RED could have a chance of getting a forward hold on this point if they spawncamp hard enough? But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oh, also, it uses the cart model from the pl_snowycoast asset pack. For some reason. At least I used the one without the snow.
mvm_ridiculoustower | March 2022​
1659716679526.png
Now this is quite the VMF. It started out as a simple prefab; I built a little skeleton, and some modular bridge pieces that branched off it. They were based off the infamous "bridge of death" from my map sd_nowhere; a gameplay space that was intentionally designed to be as deadly to exist in as I could possibly make one.

The idea was to make an MVM map where the bot spawn area was the tower, and bots would spawn from distant mineshafts that led into the bridges which led into the tower, whereupon I could use func_nav_prefer to make them exit the tower from different doorways, which would lead into other bridges that would lead to the normal gameplay space.

That way, it would make for a very complex bot spawn zone. I liked this as an idea, because I hate Valve's MVM maps where the bot spawn zone is a single uninteresting corridor and you just end up spamming it for the whole game.
So I built a tower with the prefab, and built a bot spawn zone around it.
1659716933993.png
(The missing textures are from the Bulletcrops content pack which Billo made me download to help him detail and optimise cp_caribbean; I have since moved to a new computer and not redownloaded those textures)

The snipers represent long-range bots, the Combine soldiers represent basic bots and the Combine elite represents giants... probably. The Strider would have represented some sort of ambitious custom non-robot boss made through map logic.
There are a bunch of func_nav_prefers already set up, space cleared for a tank path, and even the beginnings of a more simple lobby where players would retreat to hold off the robots when it became obvious that the bot spawn zone was near-impossible to hold.

I think the idea of very tight gameplay spaces like these bridges in MVM maps is interesting, because it basically removes players' ability to dodge, so the gameplay changes more towards not putting yourself in a dangerous situation where you're stuck in a tight bridge with a Soldier-bot. But it was kind of ruined in this map by the tower mostly being a bot spawn room, so the defenders can't even go in there.

Well, I say it was "kind of ruined", but it's not like the map ever got far enough to be played.

The tower prefab is meant to be used like this; you grab and copy the basic skeleton pieces:
1659717269601.png

1659717293245.png

Then you grab any of the branching side-pieces that strike your fancy, and copy and paste them onto your skeleton tower.
You need to copy and paste them exactly as they are; don't rotate them or you'll start to run into ugly texture alignment issues.

Also, several of the straight bridge pieces don't come with a chickenwire ceiling, so you'll either need to add it manually or copy the part of the straight bridge that does come with it.
1659717415414.png

1659717471069.png

1659717566305.png

As long as you make sure the wooden octagonal base of the tower is aligned to the 64-unit grid, it's also really easy to build around the tower:
1659717654945.png

Fun fact: I wanted to host an unofficial microcontest that required players to use this prefab to create a tower that housed one of their map's objectives.

I would've made an extensive video tutorial on how to use the prefab, and even provided two pre-built example towers with gameplay areas that micrcontestants could copy and use if they found the prefab too intimidating.

The bonus punch would have been to build a single tower 3 or more stories tall, or to have more than one tower with a map objective in it. That's why there would've been two example areas - one 2 stories tall, and one 3 - so that even people who were defeated by the prefab could still use the bonus punch.

... I think it would have been awesome, but it would have been a 6/5 difficulty microcontest for sure. And anyway making the video tutorial would've been a pain since I live in a very lively house. Lots of background noise.

[Two Arenas]
Ramblings (Please ignore for your own sanity these are all like 400-500 words long)
adctf_firstpoint1 | August/September 2021​
1659718384734.png
Here's another one I was worried I had lost forever. This would've been the first point of my entry into sonoma's unofficial A/D CTF and A/D PASS Time contest. The flag would have been a UFO (custom prop from this pack), and it would have acted as a dispenser that also gave the flag carrier *checks notes* a speed boost, insane jump height and immunity to fall damage. The gameplay space has a lot of height to accomodate this. Although I really like what I built for the flag spawn area, it was unfortunately another victim of me trying to get fancy with A/D points:
1659718713548.png

The flag area doesn't act as the forward hold for the point, but instead the point and the flag area are equidistant from BLU spawn. This means that BLU could choose whether or not to rush the point area immediately, but in the end they had to go and take the flag area first, then bring the flag to the point through one of two small connectors:
1659718881688.png

Sadly, this would have SUCKED. It would have been really easy for BLU to just take the point area and totally prevent RED from accessing either the point or the flag area, making it basically a free capture for BLU after one good push.
BLU's spawn exits onto the flag spawn area were also terrible, they both just exited into the same area and would have been really easy to spawncamp.

The frustrating thing is that both the flag area and the point area are kind of amazing. It probably could have been a really, really good point if only I had just made the flag area the forward hold and the point area the backward hold like a normal person.

Also, before I forget to tell you, it would have used a custom skybox - sky_goldnight_01, and the map probably would have been called adctf_raid or something.
And I listened to this song a lot while making it. Such a good song that I was content to listen to it on repeat for hours without going insane.

I really hope that you can get some use out of this VMF. It has two of the best gameplay spaces I ever designed, and it would be really sad to see them go to waste just because I don't really have any map worth working them into.
adctf_lastpoint1 | August/September 2021​
1659719295217.png
This would have been the... C point? of my A/D CTF map for the unofficial contest. Hang on, that doesn't sound right; I was sure that I only wanted to make two points! Ah well.

It was inspired by the C point of an earlier map of mine called pl_roofrack. That C point was in turn inspired by Snowycoast D. It had an obviously overpowered engineer balcony right in front of RED spawn, but there was a cave flank across from it that would let BLU snipers make the lives of the RED engis seriously hard if left unchecked. The cart was also an odd shape, which let BLU use it as an umbrella against the sentries - however, the engineer balcony did a full 180 curve around the entrance of the building, so it was impossible to shield yourself from all of the sentries with just the cover the cart provided.

This point is basically an extension of that. The screenshot shows an obviously overpowered sentry position over the point, but there's also a very long flank with a bunch of metal spytech supports that BLU can use to outrange the sentries. However, RED can build in a little corner under the C sign to make their sentry safe from that flank - however, there's a little section of capzone under that corner platform that the sentry can't watch.

This is a tried and tested methodology of designing last points that has worked for me right up until the very recent cp_fragment.

Another thing I liked about Roofrack C was BLU's lobby, which again I basically copied and pasted for this map:
1659719731396.png

BLU is given plenty of health and ammo, quick rotates between their two routes, and insane high ground over the exits of the 2012 building; all those factors in combination would hopefully ensure that RED will never push into this area.

But the forward hold is where this point falls apart.
1659719951470.png

You see, RED's forward hold is under the bridge in the following screenshot.
1659719975430.png

But if RED's under the bridge, there's nothing they can do to stop BLU from just using this side area to totally bypass them and get straight to C:
1659720050556.png

So this point doesn't really have a viable RED forward hold. BLU can just skip it.

However, there is one saving grace: It's A/D CTF, so BLU can't cap the point without grabbing the flag.
As it happens, the flag is on top of the bridge, so BLU has to walk past RED's forward hold area to grab it:
1659720150061.png

So, even though this point would never work as A/D or Payload, it might have a chance because it's A/D CTF. Which is kind of beautiful.

Something I also like about this point is the crate spam - it's cover that deliberately favours the UFO carrier, because the UFO carrier's bonus jump height lets them basically just ignore your attempts to take cover behind the crates. I just thought that was neat.
pl_secondpoint1 | November 2021​
1659720786714.png
This would have been part of an ultra crackhead map called pl_desperation, where I would've aimed to make it so that BLU could use the same spawn to attack all four points, thanks to a whole host of layout gimmicks. Combine that with a semi-original theme (totally stolen from pont's cp_coppice) which fuses gravelpit's textures with the alpine textures and goldrush's lighting, and I would have an iconic, 2009-y map, right?

Well, it didn't exactly work out that way. Mostly because I realised the layout gimmicks were going to be terrible, as you saw earlier in pl_firstpoint1.

Also, you might have noticed the missing textures. They were basically blends of nature/rockwall004 and nature/gravelground001 with nature/grass_07. I lost them in the change between computers and can't be bothered to remake and attach them. Sorry!
Also also, I built a big array of tree cards, but they aren't in the 3D skybox or anything - they're scaled-up dynamic props. So if you aren't using Hammer++, you won't be able to preview the scale and it'll look off.

Anyway, here's a diagram of what the map would have been like - red and blue lines represent routes players would commonly take through the map, whereas the orange lines represent the cart path.
1659721202000.png

The main thing to notice is that the cart path was very long and bendy between A and B. I had planned to make it that way so B didn't roll, then give BLU a shortcut to B so they could feasibly attack it from the same spawn they used to attack A.

You can see elements of this in the screenshot. The cart path goes around a little rock outcrop and right on the edge of an Upward-style cliff, then into the building where B is situated.
I ended up canning the shortcut idea because it was terrible, so BLU would definitely have needed a forward spawn to attack this point.

I know this, because I specifically built a lobby area that they would need to spawn nearby:
1659721374462.png

It's a pretty standard lobby. BLU gets full health and ammo in the shack, and they can go up the hill to access a sniper platform, or back down the cart path for some close-range combat.

The forward hold was definitely the highlight of this VMF.
1659721460173.png
RED would have held up the top of, and down beside, this rock platform. They would use little doomsday fences and the curvature of the arena as cover, while their snipers would attempt to take out BLU's snipers who would be trying to climb this staircase to get an angle on RED's sentries:
1659721585628.png
I got so into designing this that I even marked out each team's dispenser spots with helper models, which is something that I've never bothered to do again since.

After taking this forward hold, BLU would have tried to assault the B building, which I'll now show you from RED's perspective:
1659721818688.png

It's a pretty bog-standard Payload point. RED has a few strong defensive positions for sentries, and BLU gets a couple of high-ground sniper positions that RED snipers are incentivised to counter-sniper.

It has a couple of issues, though. It's a little too easy for RED to see every entrance from anywhere they stand in the room, so it'd probably be a hard, hard hold to take.

Also, BLU has to go past one of the highground doors to reach the other, which makes it not very viable as a sniper position because the one they have to go post would be a common and safe place for RED demomen to hang out.
1659721922158.png

That actually wasn't a problem in earlier versions of this VMF, because BLU could jump through this window and use it as a shortcut. But they can't anymore. I mean, I guess you could change it back into a shortcut again and it wouldn't harm the point's gameplay that much.
1659721997193.png

But yeah, honestly a super solid B point. All you need to do is plonk a BLU forward spawn next to the lobby area (and ensure that RED can't just stand in one place and camp all its exits!!!), and plonk a RED spawn down somewhere in the B building, and it would play pretty well. I think.
pl_lastpoint1 | November 2021​
1659722417722.png
This is another part of pl_desperation, and it's a lot more munted than the second point. I remember I really wanted to make a giant, open, Gravelpit-style gameplay space, with sawmill-related buildings on wooden foundations that you could crouch under, and extensive use of displacements to make it so that you wouldn't get feetshot from under those buildings.

... It did not turn out even remotely close to how I imagined it.

The gameplay purpose this point needed to fulfill was being really close to C so that BLU could reasonably attack it from their first spawn (since C was also really close to A), but it also had to give RED a chance to defend it and not just get steamrolled by BLU after they cap C. So I stole another idea from a Rule of Threes contest map, this time from pl_dayspring. That map had a finale where you had to hold the cart in the path of a sawblade so that the sawblade would slice, and explode, the cart.

I saw potential for a finale like that to basically simulate a control point with a long captime. So I implemented it into this D point (note: I do not guarantee that the logic for it works) and basically just called it a day.

But the design of the area around it is pretty crap. It's in a very nostalgic, very Gravelpit-like building where it's assumed that RED will sit in it, try not to poke their heads through the open windows for fear of getting sniped, and crouch behind the stacks of wood planks for cover.
That much is good, but it's not really the kind of thing that makes for a hugely defendable area. It's the same problem as cp_firstpoint2 earlier; for an idea like this to work, RED needs really, really strong defensive positions that are really, really hard for BLU to take even with an Ubercharge.

The area RED uses to approach the point is another example of "cp_firstpoint2 syndrome":
1659722783220.png

If BLU ever takes RED's singular hold, it would be easy for them to push into this area and start spawncamping RED, basically guaranteeing a capture. Which is not very fun. I even gave BLU a route under the building, directly to this area... for some reason.

So, yeah. This point would need a lot of work to make it work, even if you wanted to can the sawblade finale and transform it into a typical Payload point.
cp_3ad_lastpoint1 | Upload date says April 2022 but I'm not convinced it was even 2022 at all​
1659724065368.png
This was a little experiment that's very close to my heart. I aimed to replicate what old 2009 TF2 maps are like as closely as I possibly could.

Since I was only 5 years old in 2009, it wasn't easy to make something that felt authentic, but I think what I ended up with here is pretty damn close.

That's not to say I intentionally tried to make it bad, no.
RED has a clearly defined forward hold and backward hold:
1659724471674.png

BLU has a clearly defined lobby area with quick access to health and ammo, as well as a cover block that lets them safely get to the window flank:
1659724585466.png

In fact, I regard this control point as one of my best works. Then why am I orphaning it? Well, unfortunately, I needed a 2009-y A point and B point to pair with this, and I just didn't have the inspiration it took to make them live up to the gold standard this point had set. So maybe I can outsource that work to you.

Also, I just want to show off how 2009-y I managed to make it. Like, look at the inside of the building.
1659724852758.png
pl_lastpoint2 | Upload date says April 2022 but I'm not convinced it was even 2022 at all
1659725429558.png
This is basically the Payload version of the previous vmf.
In fact, this exists solely because I "modernised" cp_test2, which you saw earlier - I developed it further than the versions you got into a Payload A point, which was super 2009-y.

But it wasn't compatible with cp_3ad_lastpoint1, because, well... it was Payload. So I had to make a 2009-y Payload last point to replace it.

You can observe a couple of things about the map immediately - the cart path encourages close-range combat with some corner-fights around super tight concrete obstacles, which is a 2009 classic, and the "Payload last" part of the map comes from trying to push the cart down a single empty hallway knowing full well that there's a sentry waiting for you at RED's backward hold through the little doorway at the end.
1659725681000.png

For this point I chose to separate the close-range and long-range combat less than I normally do; only a short walk away from the RED backward hold is a sniper position that directly watches the cart path!
1659725757505.png

Thankfully, this doesn't totally invalidate BLU's attack options, and not even their close-range ones, because they get this platform just after their lobby:
1659725828716.png

This lets them safely cross above the sniper's sightline into a building where they can enjoy some close-range combat while totally ignoring the sniper, or alternatively they get a flank route they can use to try to sneak up on the sniper.

This VMF also uses the finale ramp from the pl_snowycoast asset pack, but it's not really a hugely necessary thing. In fact, the icicles make the ramp prop pretty hard to use as anything other than a placeholder.
cp_ms_lastpoint1 | October 2021
1659726279173.png
This was meant to just be a generic last point that could be dragged and dropped into any multi-stage A/D CP map I happened to be making. It used the same "alpine with gravelpit rocks" theme, and blend textures, as the pl_desperation collection, although before they existed.

Some of you might already recognise that getting "dragged and dropped into any multi-stage A/D CP map I happened to be making" actually did happen to this VMF. So why am I orphaning it?

Well, this has a number of significant differences from its months-newer, much more tested current version. And the funny thing is that those differences don't necessarily make it worse.
The differences are as follows:
  • In this old version, RED spawn is much bigger and they spawn much further back
  • The point is significantly closer to RED's spawn doors in this old version
  • The new version gives BLU access to the roof of the white shack pretty much for free as they round the corner from their lobby, but this old version forces them to use the stairs
  • The new version has another shack on top of the white shack that acts as cover and health for RED, which this old version lacks
  • This old version makes it MUCH harder for RED to get up onto the high ground
  • This old version doesn't have a BLU lobby, leaving you free to design your own
Those first two differences in particular are fascinating to me, because the reason they were changed in the newer version was because A was just so far from RED spawn that it was impossible to defend, so RED got a smaller spawn and a shortcut to A.

But if there's a different A point preceding this one - maybe even with a forward spawn for RED - we'll get to see how history could have been different.

Also, even if you know where this point came from and pilfering it makes you feel uncomfortable, you can at least use it as some kind of reference. It has some pretty cool gameplay spaces, its scaling is alright, and it played pretty well right from the get-go. I think? It was several months ago now...

[Full Map]
Ramblings (Please ignore for your own sanity, these are all like 400-500 words long, some longer)
pass_scaryball_test1 | June 2021​
1659728440059.png
Oh man, this one has a whole world of context.
  • It was made shortly after the end of the Rule of Threes Major Contest.
  • A little map called Smalltime got made for that contest.
  • Smalltime was basically the conclusion to a long PASS Time renaissance that had been going strong ever since Microcontest 5: PASS Time Panic, or June 2020.
The reason why that's relevant was because for the entire renaissance, people had somehow been limiting themselves to the context of standard, gigantic PASS Time maps. Making the map smaller was a simple change that greatly improved the gamemode, although didn't make it perfect (or even particularly good, in my opinion).

I had a lot to say about Smalltime. Mainly, it seemed to suffer from the standard CTF problem, where either there are 3 engineers on each team and nobody can capture, or there are no engineers and nobody can stop scouts from capturing.

So to solve that, I would make a map that did all of the following things:
1659728801276.png

You can see the throw-in goal, doors to the underworld and the run-in-goal (the lava) in the screenshot I provided.

Instead of the ball getting spiked into the playspace by a hammer, it would also instead come flying out of a painting in mid.

The map was nearly playable (apart from the missing texture, which is a frontline cobblestone texture that's easy to replace with any other cobblestone texture). All it needed was a proper BLU spawn room, a little bit of logic work and then to be mirrored and it was ready. (Sadly I no longer have the vmf for the scary ball and resistance logic so you'll have to figure that one out yourself)

If it was so close to being done, and so seemingly fun, I have no clue why it sat around not getting finished for the past 13 or 14 months.
koth_nowhere_test1 | February 2022
1659729279480.png
The reason why this VMF exists is kind of silly. Basically, in February 2022, I got a reply on one of my old guides (this one):
1659729417921.png

I believe they were referring to this image:
1659729465705.png

So I replied:
1659729524584.png

Well, the "might be possible to make a super-fun KOTH map" thing kind of got stuck in my head. And a few days later, I had a full KOTH layout (although it still needs lighting work, logic and mirroring).

In my opinion, it has potential to be an alright KOTH map. It has pretty good lobby areas, and the connectors outside spawn are uninspired but they do the job.

Where it kind of falls apart is the point. You basically have to go up this ramp while exposed to demo-spam and a big sniper sightline.
1659729722262.png

The only real other option is taking a one-way door to lead you directly into the cave area people on the point use to take cover:
1659729775852.png
This isn't too bad. It could work as a KOTH map. But it fails as an experiment, because it invalidates everything that was fun about the original area in sd_nowhere. Peeking around the side of the walls instead of going up the ramp isn't a good idea anymore, unless you want to get your head taken off.
The walls by the sides of the ramp are still raised, but they don't really give you cover from anything anymore, unless you're using a very specific sniper window.
Hiding in the cave area isn't a good idea anymore because you can get ambushed by the one-way door.

So, if you want to take it up and give it a little polish so it works better as a design, or if you just want to release an aggressively average KOTH map, be my guest.

Attachments

• cp_firstpoint2.vmf
    572.8 KB · Views: 68
  • koth_eurobeat_test1.vmf
    971.9 KB · Views: 66
  • koth_waterpark_test1.vmf
    147.9 KB · Views: 72
  • mvm_ridiculoustower.vmf
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
  • adctf_firstpoint1.vmf
    784.6 KB · Views: 63
  • adctf_lastpoint1.vmf
    598.6 KB · Views: 63
  • pl_lastpoint1.vmf
    788.9 KB · Views: 68
  • pl_secondpoint1.vmf
    517.5 KB · Views: 72
  • pl_firstpoint1.vmf
    452.9 KB · Views: 63
  • cp_3ad_lastpoint1.vmf
    425.2 KB · Views: 64
  • pl_lastpoint2.vmf
    498.6 KB · Views: 67
  • cp_ms_lastpoint1.vmf
    708.7 KB · Views: 66
  • cp_test2.vmf
    75.7 KB · Views: 80
  • cp_test2_modernised.vmf
    264.1 KB · Views: 59
  • pass_scaryball_test1.vmf
    571.4 KB · Views: 72
  • koth_nowhere_test1.vmf
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • gravelpit_shack_skin0.vmf
    44.2 KB · Views: 84
  • gravelpit_shack_skin1.vmf
    34.3 KB · Views: 103
  • gravelpit_shack_skin2.vmf
    34 KB · Views: 87
  • gravelpit_shack_skin3.vmf
    34.2 KB · Views: 78
  • gravelpit_shack_skin4.vmf
    34 KB · Views: 83
  • gravelpit_shack_skin5.vmf
    34.3 KB · Views: 81
  • gravelpit_shack_skin6.vmf
    36.9 KB · Views: 75
  • gravelpit_shack_skin7.vmf
    47.4 KB · Views: 82

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016
Announcing a new content pipeline: A new page for the sketchbook every 6 months!
Since Page 1 was 08/2022 (mm/yyyy), Page 2 will be 02/2023, and Page 3 will be 08/2023.

Without further ado, let's see the unseen things I've been getting up to over the past 6 months! (And a little more that I didn't release in Page 1)
============PAGE 2============
Features​
Ramblings​
cp_saltpit_test1 | June 2022 |
1676528965500.png
Lighting: Some

GameLogic: None

Spawns: None

Arena Number: 2
cp_saltpit is an idea I've had since around 2021.

The basic idea was that it would be like cp_gravelpit (the original idea was to have it be a gravelpit reskin!), but A and B are teleportation devices, and instead of using a risky single-choke rotation route, RED could instead teleport between the two points for an instant rotate.

Well, as it turns out, teleport triggers suck, because you can't predict what's on the other side, so it easily could just be getting sticky-camped.

So I eventually settled on the idea of it just being really quick for RED to rotate between A and B, and really hard for BLU to contest RED's rotation route.

RED would have extremely powerful high ground above both A and B, and BLU wouldn't be able to get up to this high ground.

So, if BLU was pushing B, the RED players on the A high ground could quickly rotate to B and still be at a position of advantage.

The reason why I abandoned this VMF was because I built a forward hold area for A. A and B on Gravelpit-like maps shouldn't have a forward hold, because the long captime and easy rotation for RED are better for making them defendable.

You could probably repurpose this as a pretty good linear A/D point with relative ease.
cp_saltpit_test2 | July 2022 |
1676529406697.png

Arena Number: 1
This is another crack at the cp_saltpit idea.

I was brainstorming ideas for how to make it quick and ssafe for RED to rotate between A and B, and one day I thought of the idea of having B set on an angled bridge above the space leading up to A.

I abandoned this VMF because I forked it off into cp_saltpit_test2b, which received slightly more development.
cp_saltpit_test2b | July 2022 |
1676529725147.png

GameLogic: Some

A fork of cp_saltpit_test2.
This version added two one-way doors and cover to B so that RED could enter with more advantage.

It also generally reworked BLU's approach to A and rotate to B.

At that point, I got disappointed with the gameplay I was building and abandoned the VMF.
cp_NAMEME2CP_test1 | July 2022 |
1676525678802.png
Lighting: None

This was part of my long quest to make a good version of symmetrical 2CP, which lasted until I made tc_babel and was satisfied.

This VMF would have been mining-styled, and would have had the attacking team going from mid to the area you're seeing in the screenshot, and attacking the area the sentry props are guarding.

In practice, it's a nice little arena that you could easily use for a number of purposes, and have the players approach from a number of angles.
cp_NAMEME2CP_test2 | July 2022 |
1676525948489.png

This was another step in my quest to make good symmetrical 2CP.

The design behind this VMF arose from me observing that if you take a step of 48, players can jump up it easily without having to crouch-jump, and if you add another step afterwards, it kind of becomes cover you can fully hide behind.

In practice, this is worse than just doing displacements, because revved-up heavies cannot jump. So this VMF is really just crazy to no real end.

Still, I can imagine it being posible to find the combat enjoyable.
arena_tiftidlava_a1 | July 2022 |
1676526828247.png
Lighting: Full

GameLogic: Full*

Spawns: Both

Arena Number: 3
This is a port of koth_tiftidlava to Graveyard-style Arena, complete with sky_wildfire_01 and models/props_viaduct_event/house_hat02.mdl for that extra spoooooky atmosphere.

I believed pretty strongly in this one. Everyone loved the lava mechanics in tiftidlava, but the layout performed poorly and was surprisingly difficult to fix, which is why I scrapped it and made tiftidlava2.

But before I made tiftidlava2, I had thought that the lava, being mainly a deathmatch mechanic, would really suit Arena. And, being a halloweeny mechanic, it would also suit Graveyard-style Arena, which in my opinion is a lot better than normal Arena.

The reason why I abandoned this VMF is because... well, I remember the logic being broken, but I'm not exactly sure in what way.

The mechanic that kills you if you're a late joiner is kind of iffy. It spawns you out in the lava field underneath a very hot roof that damages people who stand on it. Under that roof, you'll repeatedly lava jump until you die and become a ghost.
But I think I remember it being escapable, or broken, or something.

There's also kind of a conflict of interest. The ghosts want to be healing people who are damaging themselves with the lava, but people damaging themselves with the lava are moving so fast the ghosts will probably have a hard time following them.
arena_msgraveyard001_stage1 | August 2022 |
1676527843069.png

This was part of a collab with a mapper whose name I no longer remember.

The plan was simple. Graveyard arena is fun, but it gets repetitive quickly, because it's Arena and you have minute-long rounds on a tiny map.

So, make it randomly choose between three layouts and it no longer gets repetitive quickly. And it will win the Unofficial Spookfest contest.

I would make two stages and the other guy would make the third. Unfortunately, they never did.

And that's ultimately why I abandoned this VMF. I think it's a solid Arena layout, but the map it was meant to be part of never became a reality.
arena_msgraveyard001_stage3 | August 2022 |
1676528164129.png

This was part of a collab with a mapper whose name I no longer remember.

The lore and design behind it is mostly the same as Stage 1. However, this stage would be set in Hell, and feature the lava and layout design philosophy from koth_tiftidlava.

Fun fact: This is the only VMF I've ever made while drunk.
I think it's alright. At best.

Clearly I don't have the ZUN touch (the ability to compose amazing music while drunk).
ctf_ghostscroll_test1 | August 2022 |
1676530008268.png

This is a VMF I'm kind of ashamed to lay claim to.

It follows similar design principles to ctf_tiftid_mc21. The mid structure forces you to go one of two ways to approach the enemy flag. The idea is that your team splits into two squads.

Your large squad encounters the small enemy squad and beats them, while the enemy large squad beats your small squad. Each team advances to the enemy base and grabs their flag.

When your team's flag is grabbed, your team gets force-respawned. Since the flag slows down the flag carrier, you can prevent the flag from being run out of your base and captured if you win the fight against the flag carrier and their teammates.

The map attempts to use what I think is the single unique, interesting and inspiring feature of ctf_hades - the fact that snipers can swim out way far in the water to gain a really long sightline.

The intel room was thus designed to be engi-unfriendly, both by scattering lots of small cover enemies can use against sentries about the arena, and by letting distant snipers kill sentries from the water.

To prevent these snipers from being horrible and obnoxious to fight against, the ground is hilly, so if you stay at the bottom of the hill, you're safe from the water snipers.

The reason why I abandoned this VMF was because it was horribly built and unprofessional (imagine really poor usage of the Greek asset pack) and the intel room looked horrible to have to play in.
mvm_doomed_test2 | August 2022 |
1676531736628.png

The concept behind this map is inspired by damaging floors in DOOM.

Specifically, I was watching Dario Casali's playthrough of the mappack he co-developed with his brother Milo Casali in 1995; The Plutonia Experiment, and something in MAP23: Tombstone caught my eye - the main path was really thin, making it hard to dodge the demons' projectiles, but there was a damaging floor players could dip out onto in the emergency scenario that a high-damage projectile was coming straight for them.

I was immediately inspired to build an MVM map around this concept. There are a few thin paths the players can traverse, but if they're willing to dip out into the damaging lava, they can get quick rotates, access to health packs and the ability to dodge robot rockets.

The main reason I abandoned this map was that I just couldn't be bothered to build a full MVM map and also write a DOOM-themed popfile for it.
mvm_doomed_test1 | August 2022 |
1676532128930.png

This is the first arena I built for the "mvm_doomed" concept.

It leans a lot harder into trying to look DOOM-like.

I was trying to build a very complex bot spawn zone where the defenders would need to be constantly on their toes if they wanted to hold it (and so realistically wouldn't hold it), because I hate Valve MVM where teams just hold the bot spawn zone for the entire mision.

The main reason I abandoned this was because I felt it was too complex and too alien to what TF2 players are familiar with.

This uses the same custom assets as koth_tiftidlava3_test1, which is a couple of maps below this.
cp_NAMEME2CP_test3 | September 2022 |
1676526291648.png

This was another step in my quest to make good symmetrical 2CP.

This VMF started when I built a cool underground tunnel. Players could walk above the entrance to avoid any sightlines it created, like a window set into a 45 degree slope, which is a layout feature Fortnite used to have but never really used.

From there, it kind of just naturally expanded until I had a couple of fun-looking arenas.

The reason why I abandoned this is explained in the hard-to-read editor_text. It would be way too hard to come back from behind, since the enemy team has so many routes into your base that you can never hope to clear all of them, push out and capture mid, let alone the enemy point.

If you're not so committed to the 2CP dream as I was, you could probably repurpose this as a cool A/D forward and backward hold.
koth_tiftidlava3_test1 | September 2022 |
1676531133501.png

Yes, I really did have plans to make a tiftidlava3.

The central idea behind this one was much the same as the central idea behind tiftidlava2. Each team would have a number of separated approaches to the control point. That meant that if the team who owned the point tried pushing into one and getting a forward hold, the attacking team could push the other route and backcap.

So the team who owns the point is forced to defend it by standing on top of it, where there's no health, or by retreating and letting the enemy team take it. And this is good, because we want the point to change hands as often as possible in KOTH.

I abandoned this VMF primarily because it was just like tiftidlava2 but way harder to optimise.

It has quite a lot of custom content, at least by my standards. The skybox is mpa95, and the stone wall texture I made myself.

Here's the VMT in text form:
Code:
lightmappedgeneric
{
    $basetexture    "concrete/concretefloor003"
    $surfaceprop    concrete

//    $envmap        "env_cubemap"
//    $envmapcontrast    1
//    $envmapsaturation    1
//    $envmaptint    "[ .75 .75 .75]"

$normalmapalphaenvmapmask    1
    $bumpmap    "brick/brickwall001_height-ssbump"
    $ssbump        1

//    $detail         "overlays/detail001"
//    $detailscale    1.9
//    $detailblendmode    0
//    $detailblendfactor    1
    %keywords    "tf"
}
The stone wall texture looks best at a scale of 0.5.
pl_northpole_test1 | October 2022 |
1676532451382.png

This VMF evolved from a diagram I drew on paper, which is pretty rare for me. I usually plan my maps via text descriptions and measured walk times in a private Discord server.

It's a pretty standard "area outside BLU spawn". It's designed so that RED can't watch all four BLU exits by standing in one place, so they have to be on their toes and will probably be forced to fall back to the forward hold area.

Although, if RED spawns close enough, this area could be used as the forward hold, but that was never part of my plan.

I abandoned this VMF because of the difficulty of building a forward hold area with the way I'd set up the routing.
ta_suburban_test1 | October 2022 |
1676532829364.png

This was created as an attempt to make a map for the ill-fated Time Attack! contest.

Pretty much the only interesting thing about this arena is the area under the house.
It has a health pack, but players can't fit under there.
Why?

Well, I knew I only had time to make one arena, but I also knew that woul get boring for players fast.
So, I planned two "modifiers" that would occasionally trigger and spice up the gameplay.

One was flooding the map with 256 unit-tall water, the other was making the players tiny.
Flooding the map with water would let players swim above previously impassable obstacles, whereas making the players tiny would let them hide behind shorter cover than normal, and crawl under thin gaps that served no purpose in normal rounds.

Even if the modifiers aren't present, the space under the house serves some kind of gameplay purpose, since you can shoot under there.
The ground all around the house is intentionally raised. If you go downhill, it means you want to shoot people through the gap under the house, but it means you're also opting into being shot by enemy players trying to do the same.

The lighting wasn't chosen by me.
The displacements are a custom blend texture I made.
Here's the VMT in text format:
Code:
WorldVertexTransition
{
    "$basetexture" "nature/dirtground001"
    "$basetexture2" "nature/grass_07"

"$blendmodulatetexture" "nature/grass_blendmask"

"$bumpmap" "nature/dirtground001_height-ssbump"
//    "$bumpmap2" "nature/mudground001_height-ssbump"
    $ssbump 1

$surfaceprop dirt
    $surfaceprop2 grass

"%detailtype" "tf_forest_grass"
    "%keywords" "tf"
}
tc_tundra_test2 | October 2022 |
1676533460614.png

Arena Number: 9
Wow, looks like we've stumbled upon something interesting!

This would have been a multi-stage arena map, with a random stage selected until all three have been played.

For instance, if A was being played, the door to A would unlock, whereas the ones to B and C would remain closed.

The really interesting thing is that B and C are still accessible in the A round. In fact, the whole map is accessible!

The original concept behind this map was an Arena map set on a massive tundra where you could do a full circle around the map and go to the enemy spawn if you wanted, and that would be fine because it's Arena and you can't spawncamp.

The tundra itself was conceived as a massive open area where only Snipers would prosper. The idea was that most players would stay in the caves and buildings that house the main fightspaces of the map, but the occasional intrepid Scout or Spy would dip out into the tundra and risk getting sniped, with the reward of a sweet, sweet flank and med pick if they didn't get sniped.

I had also planned to make it nighttime and make the points themed around spooky ghost-containing objects or whatever, so I could use the Graveyard arena logic, because that's more fun than normal Arena.

I built the entire map, but ended up abandoning it, because I thought players would extend rounds for too long by not wanting to attack the point, because attacking the point means they can get pincer-attacked by enemies using the main map and enemies getting behind them via the tundra.

With hindsight, I should have pushed out an A1.
But I justified not doing it with the idea that it "didn't match my original vision" and "how the hell am I going to explain the graveyard ghosts".

This map uses the artpass_timberghost textures.
It also has a couple of custom-tailored instances you'll need to install along with it. You just need to place them in a subfolder called "instance" within whatever folder you put the main VMF in
cp_sym2cp_redpoint001b | November 2022 |
1676534186647.png

This VMF was created because I knew I wanted to create a map for the Territorial Domination contest, and I knew I wanted to create a traditional TC map.

So, I started sketching ideas for symmetrical 2CP points.
Eventually, after creating enough control points, I ended up with tc_babel. But this control point wasn't a part of it. In truth, I had really wanted to include this control point in tc_babel, but tc_babel had really strict walk time requirements that this control point just couldn't meet.

I really like this control point, if you can't tell. It has lots of clever use of height, and - depending on how you route the attackers into it - lots of options for how you approach it.

This map uses the artpass_timberghost textures.
There's an older version of it that didn't, but the TC map I had originally wanted to make was arctic-themed, so this VMF got converted.
koth_tiftidguide_a1 | January 2023 |
1676530522011.png

This VMF exists because in January 2023, it was starting to get close to 8 months since I'd written my last guide, and I was beginning to feel the burning desire to write a new one.

The guide would be about "how to make fun arenas". It would explain the fundamental purpose of videogames in encouraging player choice, then it would have a massive table with a bunch of design elements that can be used in a playspace, then a few examples of playspaces made from them.

The finale would have been a full KOTH layout, made to replace the old "yard, connector, yard" or "Viaduct formula" model which led to so many boring, boxy maps over the years.
It would have lots of interesting playspaces, properly segregate close-range and long-range combat, and encourage player choice by letting players take whatever route they like without having to pass the sightline of other routes.

In the middle of making this layout for that exact purpose, I realised that I liked what I was making, but it was way way way too complex from an overhead view and I could never expect this to be widely adopted by new mappers.

Eventually, I canned the guide entirely and wrote "[GUIDE] Following the Golden Rule" instead. Although I will have to write another guide in October.
pl_point010 | February 2023 |
1676534620219.png

I made this just the other day.

It's intended to be a generic last point for one stage of a multi-stage payload map (MSPL).
It looks a lot like if plr_pipeline forgot to take its meds.

RED spawn is quite bad and would probably result in the backward hold being way too easy for BLU to take, since BLU can watch both exits by standing in one spot.

With some simplification and changes to RED spawn I can imagine it being quite fun.

You need to be careful with how you route BLU into the arena, though. Make it so that they don't have to pass the cart path sightline to reach their alternate routes.

Attachments

• cp_saltpit_test1.vmf
    656.5 KB · Views: 33
  • cp_saltpit_test2.vmf
    839.9 KB · Views: 31
  • cp_saltpit_test2b.vmf
    883.1 KB · Views: 30
  • cp_NAMEME2CP_test1.vmf
    274.3 KB · Views: 33
  • cp_NAMEME2CP_test2.vmf
    453.6 KB · Views: 31
  • cp_NAMEME2CP_test3.vmf
    406.9 KB · Views: 30
  • arena_tiftidlava_a1.vmf
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • arena_msgraveyard001_stage1.vmf
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • arena_msgraveyard001_stage3.vmf
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • ctf_ghostscroll_test1.vmf
    516.1 KB · Views: 32
  • mvm_doomed_test1.vmf
    617.2 KB · Views: 38
  • mvm_doomed_test2.vmf
    153.7 KB · Views: 44
  • koth_tiftidlava3_test1.vmf
    318.8 KB · Views: 34
  • pl_northpole_test1.vmf
    356.1 KB · Views: 32
  • ta_suburban_test1.vmf
    537.1 KB · Views: 31
  • tc_tundra_test2.vmf
    4.3 MB · Views: 34
  • arctic_demountable_gatehouse1.vmf
    165.1 KB · Views: 47
  • arctic_demountable_spawnroom1.vmf
    296.8 KB · Views: 45
  • cp_sym2cp_redpoint001b.vmf
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • koth_tiftidguide_a1.vmf
    511.1 KB · Views: 36
  • pl_point010.vmf
    807.6 KB · Views: 32
  • instance2.zip
    177.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016
Here's the newest sketchbook page!
Since Page 2 was 02/2023 (mm/yyyy), Page 3 will be 08/2023, and Page 4 will be 02/2024.

This one might look a little disappointing when compared to the others; that's because much of my past 6 months has been occupied with artpassing pl_boatload, artpassing arena_exhaust, and building and artpassing a new KoTH map for the One in The Chamber Tournament.
Oh, and building cp_bruhstbowl2.
I also suffered an incident where around half of the files on my desktop were deleted for some reason, which includes many files from my VMF folder. All the more reason why I should upload what remains here!

Excuses out of the way; let's launch into the maps!
============PAGE 3============
Map | Month/Year | Image
Features​
Ramblings​
arena003 | March 2023 |
1692504904181.png
Lighting:
None
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
A simple and small VMF, built in 30 minutes and unlikely to be much use to anyone.

It's intended as a semi-symmetrical arena for an asymmetrical map; the backward hold of some control point in an A/D or PL map.
The ramps offer a basic hill shape with cover from the other side. People at the top still get some cover thanks to the low stone walls or whatever you'd theme them as.
The houses offer a passage below the whole arena, but you can circle around over them if you want to cross the arena without getting sniped through them.
The top of the house has a little annex to act as more interesting cover for players who are at the top of the hill.

I imagined snipers playing on a distant platform and trying to snipe each other past the house annex, whereas close-range combatants would try to use the underground or bottom of the hill to protect themself from enemy snipers.
That's why I specify a "backward hold"; it wouldn't be fun if players had to get past this arena to reach an objective, cause then they'd be forced to peek the enemy snipers.
There's also the potential issue of it being perfectly fine for snipers to play at the bottom of the hill.
arena004 | March 2023 |
1692504931857.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
I designed this arena as one where players would be given some route on top of the roof, and would try to shoot players through the holes in the roof.

But, if you weren't a fan of getting shot through the roof, you could play at the bottom of the arena, where there's a little overhang that protects you fully from the roof-holes.

The low height of this little overhang would also protect you from the very open outdoor area, which is where each team's snipers would go to try to flush the enemy team off the roof and get some cheap kills on anyone foolish enough to peek the doorways at the side of the arena.

I designed this, again, as some kind of A/D arena (more of a forward hold than a backward hold), but come to think of it, it could work reasonably well as a KOTH point or something.
You would, of course, have to make it so that you don't force the entire team to enter the arena through the massive open plane; there would have to be a route straight from your lobby to the roof or underpass that would never even intersect this plain.
arena005 | May 2023 |
1692504822961.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
This started as a serious arena, but eventually turned into some kind of detail map.

I wanted to create an arena where snipers would naturally go for the above-water, whereas players who didn't want to get sniped would go for some enclosed tunnels within the water - with some places to dip your head back into air, of course.

These little reservoirs act as that place, but they're also open to the outside, letting either the snipers come in to fight you, or you come out to fight them; either way, that fight will be at a range that's a lot more comfortable for you than them.
1692504855167.png

You'll notice that the top of the arena isn't totally devoid of cover either; that's basically so the snipers don't completely fall asleep attacking each other.
This part of the map I feel I could have done much better, though - it requires the context of "where do the snipers enter the arena from?" to really know whether it's gonna feel like two flat planes facing each other with some stuff in the way, or something better than that.

The water around the reservoirs is also pretty devoid of purpose. Of course, it makes it more fun to cross the arena than if it was a flat plane and the reservoirs were just holes in the ground, because you can dip down and use the underwater objects and reservoir tunnels as cover that you can swim over, but why would you do that when it's implied that you don't even want to be out here unless you're a sniper?

What I should have done is carved some low-down holes in the reservoir walls that let you exit out into the main body of water, but if you want to keep going through the reservoirs without using these holes, the holes are placed in such a way that doesn't expose you to enemy snipers.

Incidentally, this is yet again built as an A/D arena. The perspective I took the main picture from is meant to be "BLU's perspective".
pipeball_ad_pointab_002 | April 2023 |
1692505075928.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
The inspiration for this VMF was that while artpassing pl_boatload, I had built a building on the C backward hold:
1692505171799.png
This building was fully out-of-bounds and only ever intended as a detail area, but I looked at it and saw some elements that could be repurposed for fun gameplay, so I copied it into a new VMF and started trying to build those elements into an arena.

This was my first attempt. I created a circular, sloping roof surface, with BLU entering from one side, RED entering from the other, a health area at the side and a pit in the centre that was intended as the Pipeball goal.
Yes, this really was intended as some kind of "Attack/Defense Pipeball" map.
1692505014759.png

But I didn't like this arena. I figured being on the low ground would feel like crap, because the roof support beams would make it hard for you to move around the circle as fluidly as players on top of the roof could:
1692505037546.png

So I scrapped it and restarted with a bigger roof.
1692505067722.png
This let me build a network of circular tunnels under the roof, allowing RED to make a full 360 around the point even if on the low ground.

The pipe across the middle of the roof protects BLU from (most) sentries until they drop down to the low ground. It also provides a way for the ball to cross the roof without falling in the hole, and makes it harder for BLU to just dunk the ball directly in the hole without RED getting a chance to shoot it out of the hole.

A major oversight I made was that once the ball was down in the pit, it would actually be very hard to get it out. You could shoot it up the four ramps leading out of the pit, but two of them lead to a doorway that isn't tall enough to fit the ball.

By the way, I'm sure this goes without saying at this point, but the roof area is intended for snipers, while the low-ground areas are intended for everyone else. BLU would have had separate routes to attack the roof and attack the tunnel network.

The little area in bottom left frame would have been RED's leadup to the point, letting them quickly and safely rotate between the roof and the tunnel network.

I think any of this map's three buildings, in the right hands, could be made into a really fun arena. If you want to download only one VMF from this page, make it this one.
And that is, unfortunately, all for now.
To be honest, I'm not too fussed about the small quantity of VMFs this time around, because I really, really like the design behind each one, and I'm kind of confident that even if no one cares about them, I myself might be able to use them for something cool.

Attachments

• arena003.vmf
    177.6 KB · Views: 41
  • arena004.vmf
    101.1 KB · Views: 37
  • arena005.vmf
    535 KB · Views: 22
  • pipeball_ad_pointab_002.vmf
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Tiftid

aa
Sep 10, 2016

Page 4 - Legacy Maps Edition​

Since Page 3 was 08/2023 (mm/yyyy), Page 4 will be 02/2024, and Page 5 will be 08/2024.
============PAGE 4============
Map | Month/Year | Image
Features
Ramblings
cp_absinthe_a_test2 | January 2024 |
1707080384374.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
None
This was intended to be the first point of an A/D Pipeball map codenamed "cp_absinthe".

The main event of this VMF is the angular func_instance building, inspired by The Man With The Golden Gun.
On top of looking cool, it makes it so that you can easily decide whether or not to peek the building's windows just by moving up or down thanks to the slant of the building.

The main reason I abandoned this VMF was because of the awkward connection between the forward and the backward hold, which ended up giving me a lot of extra work in making it fun. I do think it turned out as a really cool arena, though.

Also, why would anyone use the half-pipe ramp for the ball when taking it down the side of the building is a much easier way to get it into the goal?
cp_absinthe_b_test1 | January 2024 |
1707080968986.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
This point was designed by one of the earliest ideas I ever thought up for A/D Pipeball - a point where the ball travels along a death pit via the top of a pipe, and RED can easily shoot it off into the pit from either side.

This VMF is a little bit of a nicer implementation of that same concept, where RED has to put in a little more firepower to actually knock the ball off the pipe.

The pipe also has chunks torn out of it, so BLU players can't simply crouch behind the ball and be perfectly safe all the way to the end of the ramp.

The main reason I abandoned this VMF is because the definition of where the backward hold ends isn't very clear, and because RED doesn't have a lot of good places to hold - it's a little too BLU-sniper-favoured.
arena007 | September 2023 |
1707081047684.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
This was intended to be part of the mid of a CTF map... or something.

It's a little, uhhh... "freeform", but it has some cool ideas.

The most interesting and usable part is probably the theming (which uses one of my custom skyboxes). It's what the London theme should have always been - which is, of course, a snowy, nighttime, depressing industrial scene.
arena009 | January 2024 |
1707081344565.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
Arena Number: <1
TF2 has several types of negative space.
The most common is space that you cannot see through, move through or shoot through - this would be called a "wall".

A more rare and interesting type is space that you can see and shoot through, but not move through - this would be called a "pit".

The type that has lately interested me is space that you can move and shoot through, but not see through - this is a "cornfield".
The trouble with this type of space is that even if players can't see through an arena, Sentries can - so, this arena is designed so that any Sentries placed in the corn cannot see you as long as you stick to the grassy ground.

Since this relegates the corn to a role of being a sneaky side route for chads only, I hid a full health pack in there for funsies.

The wood structure acts as crouch-cover for players using the grass; the higher tier that houses the corn acts as full cover. This is most interesting when used around a corner, as in this VMF.

The slope down to the cave windows can be used by players standing on the grass to use the crouch-cover as full cover temporarily.

The cave itself is a nice alternate route that lets players on the attacking team sneak past players on the defending team - so long as those players aren't using the grass to defend.

By the way, I generated the grass texture in Stable Diffusion using my Team Fortress 2 Textures LoRA, so you can't have it. Sorry!
detail_aqueduct series | October 2022 |
1707081772843.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
Arena Number: 0
I don't normally upload VMFs that have no gameplay, but these were gonna sit on my hard drive forever, so you can have 'em, for whatever use you'll get out of them.

A series of brush-based aqeducts, for use as a distant detail object to silhouette against the sky.

I originally made these in hopes that zythe would use them in ctf_chimney, but he was all like "fuck off dude I'm not using your shit fucking aqueduct" except he's too nice to say that so he only thought it and didn't say it.

Good memories!
pipeball_ad_point002 | October 2023 |
1707082073636.png
Lighting:
None
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
An A/D Pipeball point.

It's much too large to really be of conceivable use to anyone.

The basic idea is that no matter where there ball goes, it'll always roll back down into the centre.
The ramps and pipes are cool to fight around, but something tells me that the Sniper players of the server would be really happy and everyone else would be really sad.

Still, I hope it can deliver inspiration.
pipeball_ad_pointb_001a | November 2023 |
1707082287788.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
None
The B point of a nondescript A/D Pipeball map.

The basic idea is that since the point is on a slope, BLU really only gets one chance to knock it into the goal before it rolls down into the pit and resets.

The reason I abandoned this should be incredibly obvious. The forward hold is way too wide for RED to ever defend it, and the backward hold is way too thin, so RED would get camped out and prevented from re-entering the point area, and BLU would have a hard time going from B to C.

I hope for your sake that you don't try to do anything with this VMF.
pipeball_ad_pointc_002b | November 2023 |
1707082512911.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
The C point of a nondescript A/D Pipeball map.

The basic idea was that since the ball is at the top of a hill, it makes it difficult for BLU to get it up to the top.
It's not actually that difficult, so for this final point, we have a set of slow-opening doors that force BLU to also keep it up there to win.

Unfortunately, the design of the arena doesn't really facilitate that - RED isn't given defensive positions that let them stay alive even if they don't have control of the point area, and it's not that easy for them to re-enter the arena after losing control over it.

Plus, there are lots of awkward stuck spots for the ball.
So this point was a big fat fail.
koth_zeptiftid_af_mid_test1 | January 2022 |
1707082727714.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
None
The skeleton of a KOTH map I was designing with @Zepavil for April Fools 2022.
Technically, I should need his permission to upload this, but I'm sure the two years of no one working on this map have waived that restriction.

The basic idea is that the point is on a boat, and when you cap it, the boat moves to the enemy team's side of mid, and two doors on that side open.

This would make the cover of mid generally more advantageous for the team who doesn't own the point, as well as giving them more routes into mid and quicker access to the cap point.

This map was made before I had made pl_boatload or even turned 18 years old, so its use of water wasn't fantastic. For instance, the waterbeneath texture z-fights with the bottom of the boat, because the bottom of the boat and top of the water are at the same height.

Also, its layout isn't amazing, but it is at least serviceable on some level. I think it would be a decent back-and-forth, but that mid would sort of suck to fight in.

I also remember the logic being broken, and not fully implemented.
I wanted stickies to stick to the boat, and Engi buildings built on the boat to be parented to it, and although both things have been possible since 2020, I never got around to implementing the sticky fix, and I remember the building-parenting fix not working.

The missing textures are from... some pussy-ass content pack, who gives a fuck? Replace them with something in the base game files and call it a day.
cp_firstpoint1 | October 2021 |
1707083208208.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:

I'm not sure why I never uploaded this, despite uploading its sister VMF all the way back in Page 1.

This is a sketch control point I made in 2021, back when I first thought of the idea of making control points in isolation.

It would receive massive changes and eventually become Bruhstbowl 1-A.

It was essentially intended to be "pl_roofrack2". I think BLU spawn is even copied geometry from pl_roofrack, which is why it has a note written that it needs a rework, which it eventually got when it was added to cp_bruhstbowl.
koth_slums_palette | June 2023 |
1707083677903.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
Arena Number: 0
This was a quick detail map I made to persuade the Fortress Faceoffs team that I had what it takes to artpass the map koth_slums which I had made for them.

The little metal shack in the bottom left actually ended up getting used in the final map!

And before you ask, I have yet to watch Breaking Bad.
koth_epiphany_tiftidedit002b | September 2023 |
1707084069768.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Full
Spawns:
A brief, highly unfinished artpass of the map koth_epiphany.
It has all the things you've come to expect from an artpass by me.

The simple reason I abandoned this was cause I just eventually came to my senses and realised I don't really give a fuck about this map.

The guy who made it also thought it would be a cool idea to hide him and his lover's initials in a secret room, which irritated me immensely.

Flexing your wealth does not make you cool.
cp_fragment_a2a_test1 | December 2022 |
1707084490520.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Full
Spawns:
Arena Number: 6
A brief, highly unfinished artpass of my map cp_fragment.

I've always thought that out of the maps I've made, cp_fragment is very high-ranking in terms of design - surprising, since I originally made it in just five hours!

So I tried artpassing it, but I ended up just being very unhappy with the results. There are several areas where I chose, like, optimally bad textures, and also lit them poorly.

The basic concept is this very brick-building-heavy, New-York-y city, but I didn't end up really carrying it out in a capacity that satisfied me.

It also has, like, a trillion func_instance pipes that I cannot be fucked to upload in these posts, so if you want them you're gonna have to message me.
cp_fastlane_ad_test2 | October 2022 |
1707084885945.png
Lighting:
Full
GameLogic:
Full
Spawns:
Arena Number: 6
In mid-2022, YouTuber shounic was having mappers convert 5CP maps into A/D maps.

I was interested in the concept, since I had toyed with it before, but with cp_badlands.

In my mind, the best way to do it was to make BLU last BLU spawn, BLU 2nd the A forward hold, mid the A backward hold, RED 2nd the B forward hold and RED last the B backward hold.

It didn't really turn out that way in this map, and A sort of ended up without a forward hold and way too easy to capture.
I think it could have been salvaged if RED had a forward spawn to defend A, but I never got around to implementing that.
sd_rotational_test1 | October 2021 |
1707087356937.png
Lighting:
None
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
None
An experiment with the Special Delivery gamemode, heavily based on the map sd_snail which I had recently released at the time.

With the Australium and capture point being so close to each other, the Special Delivery inclusion is a joke and should be swapped out for ordinary KOTH.

As far as KOTH point areas go, it's not bad.
The route on the far left should be removed since it makes it far too easy to intercept the enemy team before they reach the point, but otherwise it's solid.
Good job, 17-year-old me!

By the way, the skybox is from the Frontline pack, and looks nearly identical to the base-game sky_hydro_01, so use that instead.
sd_mid1 | Uploaded April 2022 |
1707088437626.png
Lighting:
None
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
None
A simple midpoint for a Special Delivery map.
It's okay, I guess?
It's basically a much worse version of macherocketbarn.
mvm_gpit_test1 | Uploaded April 2022 but almost certainly from late 2021 |
1707087679751.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
None
I've always hated MVM maps where you just hold the robot spawn zone for the entire mission.
So, I wanted to bring the aspect of choice from cp_gravelpit (my all-time favourite TF2 map) into MVM, by having two robot spawn zones side-by-side and forcing the players to choose which one they defend.

The missions for this map would have been special in some way. I don't remember how.

The sky texture is sky_goldnight_01.
mvm_lake_test2 | Uploaded April 2022 but almost certainly from late 2021 |
1707088054699.png
Lighting:
None
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
This is another attempt to break up the monotony of defending the bot spawn zone in MVM, but using a different method.

The idea is that the players hold in the building, and bots swarm in from all directions at once, making the players constantly and individually choose which direction to defend.

Obviously, the main incentive for players not to just hold down in the water would have been swarms of pyroshark bots with boosted speed and health.
In case the mission was designed poorly and the water isn't dangerous enough, the building contains a gate. So, if the players don't bother defending the building, the bots will capture the gate and get a forward spawn.

The sky texture is sky_goldnight_01.
cp_test1 | Sometime in 2020 |
1707088610325.png
Lighting:
None
GameLogic:
None
Spawns:
None
A nondescript control point.
In many ways, you can tell that I made this when I was 16 and much less experienced as a map designer.

This was also before Hammer++ even existed, so you couldn't see the sky texture in Hammer and leaving it as sky_day01_01 was common.
pl_test5 | February/March/April 2021 |
1707088828586.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some (Broken)
Spawns:
None
I wanted to make a map for the Rule of Threes contest in 2021.
After all, they were so romantically minded that they had announced the contest on my birthday; how could I not rise to the challenge?
I would eventually end up producing pl_roofrack, but this map would be made first as a sort of prototype for that one.

It has a horribly broken payload cart elevator, and a sort of generic, uninteresting design with an easy-to-camp BLU spawn.

This was before I had written the A/D guide, after all...

By the way, those cubes in the sky are for aligning displacements.
I would eventually decide this wasn't worth the trouble and just switch between the X, Y and Z axes to manipulate my displacements.
koth_fan_a1 | July 2021 |
1707090131701.png
Lighting:
Some
GameLogic:
Some
Spawns:
A map I was making in collaboration with zythe in 2021.
Since the "average X fan | average Y enjoyer" meme was popular at the time, zythe had the idea of making "koth_fan" and "arena_enjoyer", both of which I ended up working on. It was moreso that koth_fan was my work and arena_enjoyer was zythe's work, though.

The main idea with this map was that each team had a highground above the point, which directly connected to the other team's highground.
This would be like the two buildings beside koth_bagel's point, and I can't be bothered to explain why that's beneficial.
The lobby leading up to the point was decent.

The cool stripes on the window and the random-ass jump pad that takes you up 2 metres were zythe's ideas.

Fuck it, leaked zythe DMs as a reward for reading this far
1707089543882.png

1707089608339.png
the song:
Isn't it beautiful? A 19th-century Christmas.

Attachments

• cp_absinthe_a_test2.vmf
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • absinthe_cp_a_bhold1.vmf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • cp_absinthe_b_test1.vmf
    830.7 KB · Views: 32
  • arena007.vmf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • arena009.vmf
    606.2 KB · Views: 8
  • detail_aqueduct001.vmf