Looking to build a team to make a new map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by fubarFX, Feb 16, 2016.

1. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    After the success of pd_snowville, which was a collaborative effort built by a small team of 3-4 mappers, I'm looking to build a new team to make the next big team effort in tf2 mapping.

About the project: The idea this time is to build an original arena map set in a desert/egypt theme. Why do you need a team to build a small arena map you ask? Well, this map is not so small. After laying down the foundation for the map, it's currently looking to be 20000 x 20000hu of gameplay space. Think about it like what koth_tachyon was attempting to achieve but not quite on the same scale and with a different spin.

The basic idea is to turn tf2's arena into something akin to h1z1's battle royal mode.

What the map needs: a lot of cool gameplay areas that will have a restricted amount of players. To be precise, 8 areas that will need to accommodate fights of ~4 players. That's where teamwork comes in, we want a bunch of cool and unique gameplay spaces. The areas are not as critical as what we're used to in tf2 so don't be worried if you feel you might not be skilled enough to deliver. Part of the reason for building a team is that there will always be someone more experienced to help you out where needed and hopefully this will be a learning experience for everyone. Experienced mappers can learn to collaborate on large teams and newer members can learn from working with veterans.

Right now I'm looking for a team of up to 10 mappers. The map would be easy to achieve with less mappers but I want to see what happens when everyone is on their A-game and not stretching themselves too thin. The goal is to keep the minimum commitment as low as possible but also give the chance to people who want to contribute a lot to the project.

Asset creators such as texture artist, modelers and sfx artists are welcome on board as well. If someone is interested to do game logic only, that's great too.

The project would last from 2 to 3 months, making an april's fool version halfway is a strong possibility if there's interest to do so.

Tell me in this thread if you are interested and I'll be picking people in about a week or so, when the project is ready to receive contributions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ThePerfectCompany

ThePerfectCompany L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I wish to join but my skills suck :) well good luck and I hope arena can become a live tf2 playlist

3. Exactol

aa Exactol Certified Hammer Hacker

Positive Ratings:
    I might be interested

4. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds interesting. If I have the time I will try to contribute

5. 14bit

aa 14bit L14: Bit Member

Positive Ratings:
    If I have time I might be able to help out.

6. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    I'd be up for helping, if have the time.

7. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    I'm down, will edit in a portfolio in the next few days.

8. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    I was in your last team, but I didnt get any info, count me in on this one (just tell me this time plez)

9. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    yeah sorry about that dave, we had a messy start last time. Will do my best to do a better job this time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    I'll probably give it a shot, just need more time.

11. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    I'm here to help.

12. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds very interesting even though I'm afraid it wont work so well. Sign me in

13. Pawlakov

Pawlakov L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Seems interesting... Why not?

14. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I won't have time to do anything map-wise, but if you have any special requests for Egyptian assets, let me know and I'll see about adding them to the sphinx pack.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. SC PL

aa SC PL local shitposter

Positive Ratings:
    Looks awesome, I can help

16. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Busy Busy Bees

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Corvatile

aa Corvatile exercise cawtion

Positive Ratings:
    I am now technically unemployed so I definitely have the time.

18. Di Gorgonzola

Di Gorgonzola L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have wanted to do some kind of collaboration for a long time now, so I'm definitely interested. My contribution would probably consist mostly of gameplay spaces and layout.
    Timewise, I might be a bit pressured these next months tho. It'll depend on the amount of schoolwork etc.

19. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    if something comes up I can do it'd be cool to try out working as part of a larger team