Happy thread birthday! Here's a house for the 1910s homeowner:
j4cIwCV.jpg

...and one for the 1990s gamer (kudos to anyone who recognises it):
7v8UeS7.jpg

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Well, I missed the anniversary, but I can still contribute some WIP mapping! ...Right?
ljdYgpC.png

xGdJlSP.png

soyUNLN.png

Most recently, I've been working on a Trouble in Terrorist Town map:

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Happy 10th to this thread!
Here's something I whipped up pretty quick, clearly inspired by Hydro's radar dish~
Does anyone think this kind of thing could work in a comp map? Maybe as a 2nd Point spire? With scaled down verticality and more surrounding terrain and buildings? asking for a friend
iParWCg.jpg

KtHHS88.jpg

btw that sign above the computer alcove has the 'data link' sign overlay on it, I forgot it wasn't lit up for some reason :c

gosh darn I just love Hydro's visuals so much, even this simple scene is made much more appealing with its light_environment settings

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Here's something I whipped up pretty quick, clearly inspired by Hydro's radar dish
Great architecture you've got there.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Does anyone think this kind of thing could work in a comp map?
iParWCg.jpg
It's rather closed in. I don't know a ton about competitive, but Sunshine probably has the most closed in 2nd point of any 5cp map and it is still considerably more open/accessible. The combination of being difficult to walk up to and being enclosed will probably make it difficult to attack.

MaartenS11

L2: Junior Member
Dec 19, 2015
Here's something I whipped up pretty quick, clearly inspired by Hydro's radar dish~
Does anyone think this kind of thing could work in a comp map? Maybe as a 2nd Point spire? With scaled down verticality and more surrounding terrain and buildings? asking for a friend
iParWCg.jpg

KtHHS88.jpg

btw that sign above the computer alcove has the 'data link' sign overlay on it, I forgot it wasn't lit up for some reason :c

gosh darn I just love Hydro's visuals so much, even this simple scene is made much more appealing with its light_environment settings
There are no deathpits in Comp maps

G.bo

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 24, 2017
There are no deathpits in Comp maps

Steel, Upward, and in a technical sense all payload maps with bomb hatches have death pits.
[Though I can't recall any in 6v6, those are still technically comp maps.]

Harritron

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 26, 2017
Intrusion seems to have gotten a major makeover for A...

New version coming within the next few days, I know lots of you have been patient for this.

20180831195738_1.jpg

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
I think it's quite thematically consistent as some kind of metalworks or something but I will agree there's a lot of visual noise created by the grates and girders, and the blue/green Nucleus device below in the lava clashes a bit IMO. If it were attracting your eye to an important gameplay element it'd be just fine.

That said, I love the sense of vertigo created by the grate walkways! Reminds me a little of the first levels of Doom 2016. Keep at it!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
dont_be_mean.png

Just because there isn't doesn't mean there can't be.
OMg phahaha :D

yeah, I guess it's more a matter of doing everything you can to give your map a chance at being accepted by the comp community, and putting in hazards like deathpits mostly gets in the way of that.

Maybe you could create a really dangerous low-ground instead of a deathpits that runs under the point? I'm thinking something visually similar to the caves in Hydro.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
CRBROSC1.PNG

Still needs some work, but a lot better than the previous structure (I hope)