WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
So, i made a new A->B for pl_brushpush. Three times. This is the first one i'm happy with. Also, the name won't be brushpush for much longer.
I still have to do cubemaps and some clipping, most of it is done though. New release soon-ish.

second_beforecap.jpg second02.jpg

The wooden box "breaks" after B is capped, changing the paths. I'll do something better later, for now it just gets deleted.
second01.jpg

Aug 30, 2015
Turns out, making maps as a full time student is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Nonetheless I have managed to find time to tweak the layout of CP Itza a bit. Now all I have to do is remake the latter half from scratch, which should be way easier

Point A Dev.jpg

Badfish Title Card.png

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
Wowie I did not expect to see my name on there! Can't wait to see what ya do with it.

Anderpan

L1: Registered
Sep 9, 2016
Hope I'm not spamming the thread, but I made this spawn room for that contest thingie months and months ago. Was too busy and never got the chance to submit on time, so here it is anyway. Underground BLU base with a mix of spytech and moonbase for that futurisitc look.

Attachments

• 20160909223328_1.jpg
    20160909223328_1.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 253
  • 20160909223403_1.jpg
    20160909223403_1.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 20160909223505_1.jpg
    20160909223505_1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 20160909223625_1.jpg
    20160909223625_1.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 252

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
hey does anyone know a good pl tutorial i have always wanted to make a payload map!

also my map power feud got an update! a6
20160909004725_1.jpg

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
You do search dammit
VDC has a tutorial on setting logic up.
This forum iirc has a layout design one, anyway other maps are your best friends.

Nov 2, 2010
3:34 AM - Mike: Hey, Corvatile!
3:37 AM - Corvatile: what
3:37 AM - Mike: Remember that arena_honeyville map you made a year or so ago?
3:38 AM - Corvatile: what
3:38 AM - Mike: The spawnrooms in that map were hideous. Like, totally gross, weren't they?
3:38 AM - Corvatile: who is this

fdab2d780e.jpg

3:39 AM - Mike: They were those gross, boxy buildings. Looked totally unrealistic.
3:39 AM - Corvatile: seriously who are you
3:39 AM - Mike: And those interiors! Ugly, cramped rectangular rooms which didn't have enough room to swing a cat!
3:40 AM - Corvatile: how did you get this number

1718f6a4d2.jpg

3:40 AM - Mike: Seeing as Honeyville is basically the only map you've ever finished and it looks like something you'd find in a Playstation One game, you should really do something about that!
3:41 AM - Corvatile: who are you
3:41 AM - Corvatile: dude its 3 in the morning
3:41 AM - Mike: Imagine something like THIS!

14949550ec.jpg

3:41 AM - Mike: What an improvement! Sure, it's still a bit boxy but it has CHARACTER! Imagine a whole remake of Honeyville that looked this pretty!
3:42 AM - Corvatile: what the hell are you talking about

296f52401c.jpg

3:42 AM - Mike: Maybe a neat little crane too; now it looks like the kind of place people might actually work in!
3:42 AM - Corvatile: stop contacting me
3:42 AM - Mike: And what about a cool interior, complete with dramatic lighting and wooden supports not auto-generated by an external application!
3:43 AM - Mike: That roof still looks a bit odd though. Should probably make it steeper. It would make the building less boxy. Not to worry though, you're still learning!
3:43 AM - Corvatile: seriously
3:43 AM - Corvatile: stop

dbd9c0e2b7.jpg

3:44 AM - Mike: I can't wait to see the new version of Honeyville with palatable detailing and HEIGHT VARIATION!
3:44 AM - Mike: I'm fully braced for a map that will blow my socks off!
3:44 AM - Corvatile: im calling the police

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013

I think wires should attach to the base of the lamp, not the lightbulb itself. Other than that, looks really cool!

edit: also I think a bit more "overhang" on the roofs could look neat and make it look less boxy and that crane hook prop looks a tad too heavy for a small wooden crane like that.

Last edited:

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Hope I'm not spamming the thread, but I made this spawn room for that contest thingie months and months ago. Was too busy and never got the chance to submit on time, so here it is anyway. Underground BLU base with a mix of spytech and moonbase for that futurisitc look.
holy shit im in love

Twist.vmf

Jul 29, 2016
this is probably the earliest wip picture ever posted...probably

this is a sketch of a map i want to make called pl_nuker_a1 (not the final name)
so what do you think?

BS means blue spawn
RS means red spawn
NS means no spawn, so it's just a room the 2 teams can use for resupplying

it's not properly scaled

IMG_20160910_123816999.jpg

Last edited:

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
this is probably the earliest wip picture ever posted...probably

this is a sketch of a map i want to make called pl_nuker_a1 (not the final name)
so what do you think?

BS means blue spawn
RS means red spawn
NS means no spawn, so it's just a room the 2 teams can use for resupplying

it's not properly scaled

IMG_20160910_123816999.jpg

Aside from the fact that a 2D drawing can never show verticality, and while i think that you probably thought about it, i still want to emphasize on how important it is to have height differences.

First -> A looks really boring. It doesn't matter if it goes up- or downhill, it's just a straight line. Every other point you have changes direction, which is a good thing, but A looks like "Uh, i need another point somewhere in here."
B -> C has this problem on a smaller scale, depending on how far off your scale is.

Rather than having a room dedicated for resupply, you should probably just stick to a full health/full ammo kit if it is necessary. Having an actual fight happening around a func_regenerate is a bad idea.

RED Last spawn doesn't give RED enough options, it looks like there is just one exit, nothing that could stop BLU from rolling through if they get the upper hand for a short moment.

Last but not least, in my own opinion, "Nuker" is a very bad name.

These are the problems that i suspect could exists from what i see in your plan (which is almost always something different than what the mapper sees in his own plans, because said plans are usually not very descriptive for other people.)

Twist.vmf

Jul 29, 2016
Aside from the fact that a 2D drawing can never show verticality, and while i think that you probably thought about it, i still want to emphasize on how important it is to have height differences.

First -> A looks really boring. It doesn't matter if it goes up- or downhill, it's just a straight line. Every other point you have changes direction, which is a good thing, but A looks like "Uh, i need another point somewhere in here."
B -> C has this problem on a smaller scale, depending on how far off your scale is.

Rather than having a room dedicated for resupply, you should probably just stick to a full health/full ammo kit if it is necessary. Having an actual fight happening around a func_regenerate is a bad idea.

RED Last spawn doesn't give RED enough options, it looks like there is just one exit, nothing that could stop BLU from rolling through if they get the upper hand for a short moment.

Last but not least, in my own opinion, "Nuker" is a very bad name.

These are the problems that i suspect could exists from what i see in your plan (which is almost always something different than what the mapper sees in his own plans, because said plans are usually not very descriptive for other people.)
thank you for your input! there is going to be a lot of height variation in the actual map, this was really just to get the layout down and i'm sure that just translating it to hammer will affect the layout a lot!

as for the name "nuker" this was mainly just a placeholder and a way to remind myself that the theme is nuclear power.

Paper Shadow

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2016
Off Peak might be a while away before being ready for detailing, but I decided to do a practice run to try to get the War Museum aesthetic down. I don't think I achieved it with this attempt, but I'll be doing multiple test and experiments. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions on how to achieve the museum look, I'm open to ideas...

20160911024557_1.jpg 20160911024613_1.jpg

Potoroo84

L1: Registered
Dec 18, 2015
maybe use wood textures to get an older look, if you use steel textures it might seem otherwise. thats just my opinion of course.

DrLambda

aa
Feb 18, 2015
Off Peak might be a while away before being ready for detailing, but I decided to do a practice run to try to get the War Museum aesthetic down. I don't think I achieved it with this attempt, but I'll be doing multiple test and experiments. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions on how to achieve the museum look, I'm open to ideas...

20160911024557_1.jpg 20160911024613_1.jpg

I just remembered a CS 1.6 map that did the museum theme really well. Its name is (fittingly) de_museum and you can find it here. If you don't have CS 1.6 installed, you can probably find more screenshots of it on the interwebs. The main thing i see that are differing between your detailing and the map is: Really high ceiling height (good for gameplay too!), actual presentation of the exhibits - Pedestals, height differences, descriptive signs (theres a lot of space for humor here in the TF2 universe,) raised walkways and a general pompous feel.
I think there is a lot of room to create something awesome here.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Yeah I remember reading about that CS map on a Russian mapping site. It has some mistakes but overall cool.