koth_ukiyo_a90003.jpg
koth_ukiyo_a90001.jpg

Ukiyo teaser

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
LuUNnBb.png

It might be really ugly, but it's mine damnit!

Edit: Another ugly thing

nErh0XF.png

This model might look worse in all areas than the Pokeball, but it's probably better constructed in all areas.

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
That's just how I map, take a look at the WIP I posted the other day where I experimented with themed brushwork. The detailing limit in this map right now is hedges for negative space, those few windows visible here and 4 trees. Saying this is detailed is an insult to detailing.
I can understand you detail early. Many mappers do and it works when setting a theme. If you are happy with the shape of a certain area then this is fine. But with your capture point you werent sure yet. And in the end, a little detail in an alpha can make it comfortable for players to already feel what the map should become like. This is not the problem i was trying to tell. What i was trying that to tell is that you shouldnt start on details on something you arent sure of yet.

You took 2 buildings which feel quite identical in behaviour and a flat ground, and probably did detail them both seperately. When unsure in such way just taking rough block shapes to check its options for mobility would have done fine. Many mappers already can give feedback based on rough shapes. And it allows more experimenting on such area since there is realy nothing of work you would waste.
Instead, if you just took rough blocks you might have chosen a completely diffirent direction since the theme at that point wouldnt harm yet. Ofcource, when finished and you notice it doesnt fit the theme you might still throw it over. And once happy with that you can ofc detail it again to fit the theme you had as idea (and in some cases adjust the pathing with it).

It was just a comment on how you sometimes can save time. (but then again, i cant realy see if you would otherwise just use the building somewhere else. since if that was the case i can totaly understand why you didnt care about detailing it anyway as you had a backup plan anyway)

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
So, among everything else, i'm still working on Hierarch RC3. Currently i'm trying to increase the believability of the OOB area. The goal is to not break immersion unless you're noclipping around there. Most of this stuff is only visible if you jump into the death pit, but hey, it is there, and my optimization took down the load enough to include it.

Still working on the light though. I wasn't able to get light down into the deathpit without destroying the lighting of the map, so it is artifical, but i think it's not too recognizable. Still working on that rock in screenshot 2 though.
wip01.jpg wip02.jpg

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
That building could use some concrete foundations, right now a bunch of board are wedged into a cliff. That just ain't right!

Y'know, i've been sitting in front of that building and thought "Why does this look so off?" Now i know. Thanks for that!

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Wew people, I haven't been on here since forever. My summer has been oh so lazy but I'm picking up mapping for TF2 again! I don't play the game that often but I sure like mapping for it.

Current work (area covering BLU's first spawn for a payload map):
b965794765.jpg

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Wew people, I haven't been on here since forever. My summer has been oh so lazy but I'm picking up mapping for TF2 again! I don't play the game that often but I sure like mapping for it.

Current work (area covering BLU's first spawn for a payload map):
b965794765.jpg
Welp, with another payload map, you certainly live up to expectations....

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Welp, with another payload map, you certainly live up to expectations....

My name is Bull, and I'm a payload addict.

-cue everyone saying 'Hello Bull'-

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Screenshot dump! Here's some things I've been working on, I feel like I don't post here enough.

It might be a while before this is playable, but hey, why not share it? Yep, Egypt PLR, probably mutistage. I know they're terrible screenshots, but there's nothing else done.

5e994c58d2.jpg

28e524af89.jpg

Also, here's some screenshots of the (slow) progress on Holcan, the remake of my old map Underpass:

2d026370dc.jpg

4be2c7a7e1.jpg
1f3695e50d.jpg

I'm worried that it's a bit cluttered visually, and that It will be difficult to navigate at first. In order to block sightlines that tower needs to be there (or an equivalent), but that's the way players need to go, so I might need to reconsider that area so players want to go that way.

I'm also worried about telling the bases apart, as there's no good team colored Mayann stuff other than the trim, and it will be a nightmare for anyone with Red/Green colorblindness as someone mentioned in chat a while back. I might make the Red side a bit more falling apart with wood supports, but I need to finish the spawns/bases first.

Yes, the trees aren't the best, but they're all I have that somewhat fit at the moment. Maybe I'll get someone to model some better ones if this reaches Beta/RC.

Finally, work has resumed on everyone's favorite 4cp steel-style about a nuclear reactor in an arctic base:
fef58df8c4.png

A is getting a rework, Blu's spawn is moving, Red's spawns are being completely changed, and D is being rebuilt entirely. OH GOD EVERYTHING IS BROKEN HELP

Sorry for the long post.

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
Screenshot dump! Here's some things I've been working on, I feel like I don't post here enough.

It might be a while before this is playable, but hey, why not share it? Yep, Egypt PLR, probably mutistage. I know they're terrible screenshots, but there's nothing else done.

5e994c58d2.jpg

28e524af89.jpg

Also, here's some screenshots of the (slow) progress on Holcan, the remake of my old map Underpass:

2d026370dc.jpg

4be2c7a7e1.jpg
1f3695e50d.jpg

I'm worried that it's a bit cluttered visually, and that It will be difficult to navigate at first. In order to block sightlines that tower needs to be there (or an equivalent), but that's the way players need to go, so I might need to reconsider that area so players want to go that way.

I'm also worried about telling the bases apart, as there's no good team colored Mayann stuff other than the trim, and it will be a nightmare for anyone with Red/Green colorblindness as someone mentioned in chat a while back. I might make the Red side a bit more falling apart with wood supports, but I need to finish the spawns/bases first.

Yes, the trees aren't the best, but they're all I have that somewhat fit at the moment. Maybe I'll get someone to model some better ones if this reaches Beta/RC.

Finally, work has resumed on everyone's favorite 4cp steel-style about a nuclear reactor in an arctic base:
fef58df8c4.png

A is getting a rework, Blu's spawn is moving, Red's spawns are being completely changed, and D is being rebuilt entirely. OH GOD EVERYTHING IS BROKEN HELP

Sorry for the long post.
Wow, thats alot of projects you're working on. I couldn't decide were to start if I had that many maps at once.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Wow, thats alot of projects you're working on. I couldn't decide were to start if I had that many maps at once.
I'm also working on a payload map, trying to fix the crashing issues with my RE gamemode/Last year's april fools map, and planning an A/D CTF for the 7.2hr contest! I have a hard time focusing on one map at a time, I bounce around between projects a lot. Unfortunately, that also means some will get abandoned, and some will never see the light of day.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I'm also working on a payload map, trying to fix the crashing issues with my RE gamemode/Last year's april fools map, and planning an A/D CTF for the 7.2hr contest! I have a hard time focusing on one map at a time, I bounce around between projects a lot. Unfortunately, that also means some will get abandoned, and some will never see the light of day.
Please send your abandoned children to your local orphanage.