The Summer 2016 7.2 Hour Contest!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by LeSwordfish, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome! I loved all of the videos Egan did for the respawn room/intel room contest, so I was looking forward to a similar playlist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dryerlint

dryerlint L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, thanks for going to the effort to make these! It was awesome to see that someone had actually played through and examined my map.

Also, I noticed your advice (on detail_raven) about making the sides/walls of the concrete pit different from the top... isn't this sort of unrealistic? I normally try to avoid it unless there's some sort of edge/plating between the two materials, usually just a metal bar. Not trying to reject your advice or something, just curious about how you would do this

3. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish Lvl O: Orange Member

Positive Ratings:
    I noticed that the playlist is all unlisted, do you mind if I post my feedback video on my twitter? (It would be thanking you for the quality feedback).

If it was unlisted for the purpose of privacy I will respect that.

Edit:
    Also Im quite proud of the fact that the WHOLE detail entry I made was off the top of my head, nothing pre-planned and I didnt even begin the contest with a detail entry in mind.

So the tiny things you pointed out were simply faults of a speedy entry, but I do appreciate how in-depth you went. Like going so far as to comment on the sand on the back of the platform, I hadnt even considered the effect of the terrain on the concrete outside.

Also, I originally planned to have the building non-holo and to focus more on the outside, so thats why the inside looks rushed and why the spytech room is out of place.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Using the same texture on a floor/wall that touch makes it harder to see the edge between them. In reality, yeah, they're both made of the same material, but also keep in mind that they'd be subjected to different kinds of wear and tear - a floor is more likely to be dirty than a wall, and a wall is more likely to have runoff stains.

They're unlisted because I didn't bother to title the videos properly and I'd just prefer to keep them off my channel page until I fix that (if I ever do). Feel free to post the videos wherever you want.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    So, even though @MaccyF 's entry was disqualified because of a broken path_track, i decided to give out the prize i promised for the creation of a 3 stage PL map.

Here we go:
    description.jpg
    Custom Description

ingame.jpg inventory.jpg
    Attractive model heavy showing off with the prize

trade.PNG
    Trade offer

Buh-bye Brush Pusher's Delight, i've had quite a few fun imps with you. I'll probably get Brush Pusher's Delight Mk II at a later date.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    thanks loads! You would have been well within your rights to keep it :)

7. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, i could, but why would i? I decided to give it away because i wanted to see if the feat could be accomplished - and you obviously were able to. A bug like that isn't anything that shows that you ran out of time and weren't able to do it. Good job :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Tierra-Verde

Tierra-Verde L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's brushwork:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the feedback!

• Like Like x 4
  9. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Judging for both Detail and Layout will finish on the 20th, which means you have just four days to get your votes in! We're testing a bunch on both EU and US servers - join the servers or the group chat to try the maps out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    What's the vote thing for layouts? I don't see it posted anywhere.

11. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish Lvl O: Orange Member

Positive Ratings:
    I cant wait for the results! Thanks to the staff for putting on this TOTALLY NOT STRESSFUL AT ALL contest!

13. Startacker

Startacker L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just for clarification, we can't update our maps until after the playtesting is over, or is it after the results are out?

14. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    The last playtest has been run: i'm going to tally up judging scores and release results in about twelve hours from this post. I'd prefer you not release changes until then, in case anyone is still testing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Startacker

Startacker L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh jeez this is really suspenseful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    I have the results in front of me! I need to compile them and write them up - results will be up within about two hours, since i'll be on the train.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. dryerlint

dryerlint L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
  18. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Contest Results!

Thank you to everyone who helped playtest or judge the maps - we've a great amount of feedback and scores on each. I'll tidy up the scores and judging and release that publically tomorrow, but for now it's time for the winners and runners up for each category.

Winners for the Detail category are - drum roll please -
    Runner-up: Ranchhouse, by @Corvatile

[​IMG]

Winner: Gulch, by @Idolon

[​IMG]

Winners for the Layout category are - drum roll -
    Runner-up: Saluto, by @zahndah

[​IMG]

Winner: Oryx, by @KubeKing

[​IMG]

Congratulations to the winners! And congratulations to everyone who entered, as well - getting a version out in the time given wasn't easy. Everyone should be proud of what they did. Winners, get in touch with @phi to collect your prizes.

We're already making preparations for the next major contest, and I can exclusively reveal that it will be - drum roll -
    announced soon!

• Like Like x 14
    • Thanks Thanks x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    I approve of this.

Good job to everyone who took part, even if you weren't a winner or a runner upper.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    Hype!

• Agree Agree x 5