The stupidest mapping mistake you have made

Arceus

The equine creator everyone takes for granted.
Apr 19, 2016
For me, it would be force closing Hammer in the middle of a compile.

I was running late for work and decided I could restart the compile later.

Work was fine, but when I returned, the map had errors everywhere and was missing world geometry in bizarre areas.

Serves me right for trying to boss Hammer around.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Next time, open Task Manager and kill the vvis and vrad processes. This'll abort the compile.
The problem is, if you only close hammer and not the processes, VVIS and VRAD will carry on running:p You then have a 99% cpu usage until you figure out what is happening

Arceus

The equine creator everyone takes for granted.
Apr 19, 2016
Next time, open Task Manager and kill the vvis and vrad processes. This'll abort the compile.
The problem is, if you only close hammer and not the processes, VVIS and VRAD will carry on running:p You then have a 99% cpu usage until you figure out what is happening

Either way, I learned not to rush Hammer.
Hammer is not to be tamed.

Clarity

L1: Registered
Jan 29, 2017
making a whole area of the map outside of it so i could have some breathing room, then realising it was 10x the size of the map

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Once thought doing small carve maneuvers to make a concave arch would work (and besides,the brush in mind was very, very small)/

I was wrong, the map crashed and I had to reload

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
For months I didn't know that right clicking made displacements go down so I had been fiddling with putting negative numbers in the distance box.

Oh, and I also didn't know that you could also apply textures in any mode with right click so I was manually clicking the mode box and going down to apply every time I wanted to place a texture.

Today I learned two things. Not a week goes by that I don't learn I'm somehow doing things the hard way!

*edit* That's actually 3 things total

Last edited:

Ewber Taxi

L1: Registered
Aug 1, 2017
I was working on a map, saved the map, but there was an another map that I trashed in the background, I exited, and it said to save or not, I was like, I saved it already, so I saved the trashed map over the map I was working on. Lucky I had auto save.

Skittelz

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 17, 2016
I tried func_detail-ing all my displacements hoping my map would run faster, only finding that my map didn't compile and i was 2 weeks desperate for finding an answer