The stupidest mapping mistake you have made

I dinne ken

Has currently had enough
aa
Apr 16, 2016
For months I didn't know that right clicking made displacements go down so I had been fiddling with putting negative numbers in the distance box.

Oh, and I also didn't know that you could also apply textures in any mode with right click so I was manually clicking the mode box and going down to apply every time I wanted to place a texture.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I actualy still do this while the map is in alpha state (realy, if this extra processor cost would already be a problem in alpha, there are much bigger problems in the map). So for timesaving i actualy think that during alpha its a good thing to do that. Although when doing that a normal compile on vvis should still be done since the small tricks a fast compile can normaly do, these no longer work with such poor skybox. It shouldnt be any problem to render almost the entire skybox around it because in the later versions of the map, the detail is going to be way heavier.

But in that case, why not just use cordon?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
waitwaitwait... nodraw can be used for clipping?
Kinda, but it causes weird problems with lighting and seeing through roofs. That's why its on a list of stupid mistakes.

Aug 30, 2015
I think I went about three months without a single height difference that wasn't 256. Then I figured out that large height differences are bad so I spent two months after that adding 64 unit bumps everywhere for no reason

2015-12-18_00002.jpg

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
But in that case, why not just use cordon?
Its just a habit, i do those temp skyboxes in a visgroup so i can always turn them on when needed. Which is a good thing during test compiles in a beta. You can quickly turn on the group to see if the detailing you did ended out the correct way. Where you can keep the cordon to just limit hammer in its visibility which on larger maps can prevent a cluster of lines in the top, side etc views.

But even then, its always a good habit to still check your skybox for leaks since those are the ones mostly visible. The ones which make a zigzag between some brushwork essentialy will never show the outer box. And on that part vvis will keep to work properly on the higher part of the map.

But the point i wanted to make is that during an alpha vvis doesnt have to be optimal yet. You shouldnt be detailing your map in that state anyway and with a low detail map. Your game should be able to render all 32 players fine. Although with a slightly decent skybox you quickly reduce that to half.

Any effort you take during mapping is going to be a pain when you would have to undo it. With low effort this is less of a pain since you arent feeling like you are throwing away some hard work.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
I really hate that section not resetting back to Block after switching to Arch or Sphere, but I'd probably be more annoyed if it did.
That's why modern software's philosophy is the more stuff has settings and is flexible, the better

GreenLemon

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2017
turned VRAD off and forgot to turn it back on, the light was missing, changing things in map, compiling again, reseting settings, build some test map, copiing again, light still missing
and just before reinstalling tf2, i notice it :)

or this , but i don't really now what this is (and its from today) :
filedetails

suber36g

L3: Member
Jan 20, 2017
maybe it just a see-though brush and it in a skybox. which mean it could be fake. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNN!!!!

or maybe I'm just bored and can't think of anything else...