TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #11: Mercs vs. Aliens - Sponsored by Ronin

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
Medievil mode is just a theme (i feel, with my two cents) something that completely clashes with the whole UFO Alien thing. All the other gamemodes don't have themes to them and can be adapted into any setting they want, but medieval is rather restricted to the castle theme, and that clashes in the respect of old/notech with futuristic/newtech

Besides, how are you gonna blow up a UFO in medieval times?

Theoretically speaking, the Medieval theme isn't really restricted to Medieval Mode. Rottenburg reuses most of the old Degroot Keep assets! I think you could do a castle-themed map for this juuuust fine.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Theoretically speaking, the Medieval theme isn't really restricted to Medieval Mode. Rottenburg reuses most of the old Degroot Keep assets! I think you could do a castle-themed map for this juuuust fine.

No no, the THEME is just fine, I meant the gamemode. Medieval theme goes well with all gametypes, but Medieval Gamemode only goes well with Medieval theme.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
No no, the THEME is just fine, I meant the gamemode. Medieval theme goes well with all gametypes, but Medieval Gamemode only goes well with Medieval theme.
Not really, there are loads of themes that could work with it.
Granted, said themes also take place in the past, and could just as easily not be Medieval gamemode, but, so could Degroot Keep.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
Frozen knows my opinion of this but I'm posting this here for the public to see. I think the no Medieval mode thing is stupid and stated my case for it's inclusion this contest and last. If we allow MvM in the contest, which is significantly different from pvp maps in the fact that they need pop files as part of the map's design and the fact that testing and playing them so they can be accurately voted on at the end can be so much harder to do, I don't see why medieval is not allowed. I have some counter points to reasons brought against this idea previously but I'll just say this for now.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Another 500 dollars has been added to the prize pool, donated by BANG!. It has been split between 2nd and 3rd place.

Thanks, Bang! That's awfully generous of you.

Svedash

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2014
Were you really planning to do a medieval UFO-themed map in the first place?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Frozen knows my opinion of this but I'm posting this here for the public to see. I think the no Medieval mode thing is stupid and stated my case for it's inclusion this contest and last. If we allow MvM in the contest, which is significantly different from pvp maps in the fact that they need pop files as part of the map's design and the fact that testing and playing them so they can be accurately voted on at the end can be so much harder to do, I don't see why medieval is not allowed. I have some counter points to reasons brought against this idea previously but I'll just say this for now.

So the justification for no medieval isn't just that the mode sucks massive hairy ballbags??

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Yeah I love modes where only 3-4 of the classes are only viable, and 1 class can dominate all the others. yeah that sounds like a good mode to make maps for. The mode almost requires no skill you just spam M1 until you kill someone.
Why do you think valve only made 1 map for it because the mode is meant to be stupid and not taken seriously, the fact you cant even use chat without it trying to be funny is silly as well.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
So the justification for no medieval isn't just that the mode sucks massive hairy ballbags??

I guess by that justification we should ban TC too :cool1:

In all seriousness, we shouldn't keep people from doing a gamemode that isn't legitimate enough to be a part of the cool gamemodes club. That's the exact kind of attitude that keeps it from ever being a cool gamemode!

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
If someone made the best Medieval mode map ever and at the end of it you destroy an alien mothership... why would it not be allowed? That sounds super awesome

"There's only 1 map for Medieval" as argument to not make more is also backwards

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
If we were to host a contest that included or featured medieval mode, I would want it paired with something that wasn't medieval mode. I suggested to Turbo a Special Delivery and Medieval Mode contest. People can do SD if they want a semi-serious gamemode, or people can do any gamemode with Medieval mode.

I have reasons as to why I haven't put Medival mode into the contest I've hosted, I've explained them to anyone who has asked me.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
*shrug* Whatever the reasons are it seems odd to disallow it outright. Are you worried it'll steal all the 'legitimate' wins?

An SD or Medieval contest sounds like the worst idea. Yay, let's pair up the two least fun modes! (actually, that's an unfairly nice thing to say about CTF. I'm sorry SD, you're not as bad as CTF.)

Ninja edit:
I dunno, I know I'm not participating in any of these contests, but I think I want either wide open, anything goes style or super narrow, only one thing goes. I don't want any more "two things go" contests. They've all left me feeling bleh in the past. X or Y isn't a good choice for a contest. Give me absolute freedom, or choose for me.

Coolz

L2: Junior Member
Sep 19, 2013
I'm in but quick question, Am I allowed to use my 72hr contest map for this contest because I never could submit it? Don't worry, I'm not going to fix it up and go like "OK im done here ya go" My idea for it is I re-use it for a certain part of the map for my new idea. But once again, am I allowed to do that?

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
An SD or Medieval contest sounds like the worst idea. Yay, let's pair up the two least fun modes! (actually, that's an unfairly nice thing to say about CTF. I'm sorry SD, you're not as bad as CTF.)
Sometimes mixing the 2 most awful modes can result in something awful because they are able to counter the problem that each mode gives:

Medieval: there barely is a target and some classes clearly are stronger. Sniper, demo, heavy and spy are somewhat the only usefull classes due to their abilities to kill fast. The soldier provides support with the banner and the medic for healing. This still makes the scout, pyro and engineer obsolete.
SD : speed and the ability to hold a point becomes important (scout, pyro can be added due to mobility, medic can be added for having a more effective healing moment), and engineer can still be usefull as he just like other classes is fast enough. He however still lacks a decent medieval weapon.

So mixing 2 modes can improve a mode to be better.

For medieval the main issue is that it lacks the use of all classes and only focusses on the killing part (the objective is more like decoration rather than an objective), thats the first thing to counter on that mode to make it fun. Without that i would call your map doomed as it will play exactly like degrootkeep and basicly remove the need of the special objective.
For SD minisentries are hated to death (since the map is short in enemy to enemy paths they are often rebuilt fast). Medieval fixes that by simply not allowing those anoying features (and with proper cover the huntsman cant do alot either).

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
My problem with medieval mode is that I've never had fun on it. The only time I've played it is on the US server, and the mode just does not function with a high ping because there are no hitscan weapons, and hitscan weapons are the only thing that make playing with lag possible. (I realize that melee is technically hitscan, but it works absolutely terrible at the best of times).

It makes testing a medieval map, leaving feedback on it, practically impossible for me.

Last edited:

Newe6000

L1: Registered
Jun 20, 2014
I love playing medieval, but holy hell it is most definitely not a very serious gamemode. It's basically designed for demoknights, lucksman, crossbowers and the occasional spy or scunt. It's good fun in the same way that trade server maps can be good fun.

Last edited: