TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #11: Mercs vs. Aliens - Sponsored by Ronin

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
do i have to compile full vis for pre-grace period submission

it turns 2 seconds of vis into 2 hours

o/t: battlefield and stalker are good games. time consuming as fuk tho

edit: since i can just toss in older already compiled and tested alpha, nevermind that question

edit2: since there will probably be some submission test and id prefer not to have an old version retested, i probably should do full compile

Last edited:

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
So as usual i'm making a showcase video and really want to get into making it more FX orientated and stuff.

BUT as usual I am stuck for songs, I'm planning on using two songs, one for day-time maps and one for night time maps.

The first song I really wanna use is, all suggestions are welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjQwyboQz2A

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
Question: When is the grace period over? (In hours preferably)

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013

Showcase video is done and stuff, had a lot of fun making this and it was the best one i've put out despite all the technical stuff that happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Could we get some more frequent playtests of the contest maps?

Public judging ends next week, yeah? So we could definitely use some more chances to play these and get our votes organized before the deadline.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
For those who are concerned that there isn't any results yet, 4 days later:

I'm still gathering the judges score, and will probably have to do judges critiques myself, so that will take a little while longer. We'll get things sorted on this as soon as possible.

... that being said, I'm thinking that a newer, better way to do voting on this contests that isn't so convoluted or 'scary' for new people is totally something we should look into for future contests.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, hey everyone. Thought I'd give an update on the current situation that we're in.

As I said in the previous post (above), I'm still gathering judges scores. This is because of the four judges who volunteered to do that, 1 dropped out very early on, 2 did not play enough of the maps because they got busy, and the final hasn't been on in a week. I am not angry at these judges, nor will I say who they are. However, this does leave us in a weird situation where there is currently no judges votes for the MvA contest.

You may be thinking 'Oh, just use the public vote!' which would be a valid idea, but following the "You must have 7 entries voted for" rule, only 4 voters votes would count. I will not let this contest be decided on only 4 votes, let alone just the votes that were submitted into the public voting thread. Many of them are incomplete and that would not be fair for entrants.

I am working on a solution for this problem. It's a very interesting one that we haven't encountered before. Suggestions and discussion are welcome, but please keep in mind that this is a major contest. The point of these major contests are to help designers refine their skill through the use of indepth feedback provided by the public voters and especially the judges. I have some ideas for possible solutions, but am not yet ready to talk about them yet.

Bear with me while we figure out what to do.

-Fr0z3nR

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
So voting for this contest did not have the turn out many of us had hoped and expected. There is potentially many reasons for why this happened, but the point is it did, and a solution needed to be created to remedy this rare problem.

I took a look at what the problem was caused by, and attempted to create a solution that would solve these problems. This solution is a google poll. While it is not ideal for this contest, it will have to do for now.

How will this poll work?
Simple, you select the bubble of which map you felt was the best overall, then give some feedback on the map. The feedback for your vote is required. I am going to use the honest system when providing feedback, so please don't just type in random letters. If I feel like people are not taking the feedback part seriously, I reserve the right to remove your vote if you do not provide SOME sort of feedback. You will also be able to fill in feedback for other maps at the end of the form, however this third part is not required.

We can only vote once?
Yes, the one draw back of this system is that you will need a google account to vote. You can create a google account for free at google.com

A google account? Will you see my email!?
No. This is anonymous. The only information I receive is the date and time that you voted. To reiterate, I do NOT see your email, or name or ANY personal information.

What if I don't have a google account, and don't want to make one, but still want to vote?
If you absolutely do not want to make a google account to vote, but still wish to contribute your vote, you can PM me directly here on the forums. It's fine! I just want you to vote! In your PM, please include the map that you feel was the 'best overall' and WHY (if you use this method, and do not include WHY, I will not count your vote). You may include feedback for other maps in your PM. I will compile all the information together at the end.

How long will this poll go on for?
Two weeks, until January 9th at 7PM EST.

Will there be playtests of the maps?
Most definitely yes. I will make sure that myself, other staff or VIP host Invasion map events properly. I hope to have them every-other day. No more than 2 days inbetween each test. If you feel like there hasn't been enough tests, say so!

What are the criteria we should consider for which map we feel is 'best overall?'
This is the tricky part, which may require some people to play the maps over again. You should consider the following across the varying categories. This is a direct copy/paste from the original voting thread. Please, please, PLEASE read through these suggested questions to ask yourself a couple of times. You have one chance to vote, so please make sure you do it right :)

• Gameplay: How does the map play? Is it fun? Are you turning a whole lot? Is the layout simple and easy to understand/learn or easy to get lost in? Is the gamemode simple to understand quickly? Does the map flow well? Does each class have a place where they can shine in the map?
  • Balance: Is one team stronger than another because of the map? Are defenders easily locking down passages? Are attackers easily getting through what appear to be Solid iron defenses?
  • Aesethetics: How does the map look? Does the visuals flow and blend well together? Hows the transitions between yards? Does the map and yards visually make sense? Are things too 'noisey' or visually busy? If you've read this far, please put the word "Potato" at the beginning of the 'other map feedback' section. This will not affect your vote in anyway. Do you think this could be an actual environment in the TF2 Universe? Does it fit the Mercs Vs. Aliens Theme and follow the Mothership destruction rule?
  • Technical: The nuts and bolts of the map. Hows the clipping? Getting good FPS? Areaportal working? displacements sewn? Map randomly crashing? is it buggy?

Which ever map you feel did the best overall, compared to all the other maps, then you should cast that map as your vote. Please play through the maps across a few gamedays to get a good feel for how the map plays overall.

Again, I apologize for what had happened with voting. This was not something I think any saw coming, but I take responsibility for the poor response. While this solution is not perfect, it was a quick, simple, easy solution for everyone involved. In future major contests, we will evaluate how this method worked, and will come up with a new system.

Thank you everyone for your patience. I know that many people are frustrated, but this will be the final vote. After January 9th, (and any possible tiebreakers) the results will done and tallied THAT DAY (or the next day if I am occupied with something. Hey, just being honest).

LINK TO VOTING THREAD

Last edited: