Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
- Sep 5, 2010
TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #11
Mercs vs. Aliens
Thats no Moon... base. It's an attack! Aliens are attacking for one reason or another, probably relating to hats. It's time to plan. Build the battlefields that the mercenaries will take the fight to the aliens on! Of course, RED and BLU can't get along, so there will be that to take care of, but remember no matter who the victor is, you want to see that Mothership brought down! So go! you have until 7PM EST ON November 10th of THIS YEAR to do this, so hurry! Time is already running out.
- Can be ANY game mode. Medieval Mode, however, is not allowed. We encourage everyone to use new gameplay mechanics, such as low gravity, teleportators, etc. Be creative!
- Must follow the same game mechanics/scoring systems as set by the official game modes.
- Map must start on Earth.
- Must include props from the provided prop pack.
- Any team must blow up the alien mothership in Attack/Defend gamemodes. In symmetrical gamemodes, the winning team must blow up the mothership. How it is destroyed it up to you, but we've heard Bombs, lasers, rockets and ray guns are effective. (for UFO Assets, see below)
- Use the standard premise of Blue is Offense and Red is Defense, where applicable.
- Collaborations ARE ALLOWED
- Custom Content outside of the provided theme pack is allowed.
- You are allowed to make your own Invasion Theme Props
- Custom Content needs to be publicly made available at least one week before the submission deadline.
- Must be able to spawn 32 players (16 per team)
- Maximum of two entries per authors (including team collaborations)
- No straight out copying or stealing content from other maps, official or otherwise. This includes maps that you yourself own. Inspiration and ideas are good, just make sure you built it yourself for this competition.
- TF2Maps.net staff are allowed to win, Contest judges are not.
- A forum thread is not required for entry, but is encouraged. If you do make one for your entry (or entries), please put it in our contest entries subforum.
AssetsYou will be needing the the invasion theme assets that are being developed. As mentioned, you can (and are encouraged) to make your own props for this theme and to share them with your fellow entrants. The theme is being developed along side the contest, so that it can try and cater to you as much as possible. This section will be updated with the date of the most recent file, and the assets found within the folder.
Asset pack: These are the "placeholder" props provided during the contest. Not the official pack that was used for the update. I don't know when it's coming. Please pester BANG or Ronin about it, maybe they'll do it in a few years.
With custom content and the grace period, I ask that you have it released 1 week before the deadline. However, if you need to modify the model, you can do so as long as you release the updated version 3 days before the end of the grace period. This rule is to ensure that if there are people who are relying on an artist, or your art, then you have it released for them to update.
Exception to this is the MvA props. The quality of which will not be considered in the final aesthetics of your entry.
- Judging will be the usual judging procedure consisting of a public vote and official judges. The categories will be Gameplay, Balance, Aesthetics and Technical. These will have a 30/30/30/10% split respectively. Judging and Public voting will be a 60-40 weight towards the judges votes.
- A submission thread will open up on November 3rd, 1 week before the final deadline. On November 10th, maps will be reviewed for any rule breaking. Following this the public voting thread will be opened for public vote. More information on the voting procedure, when the time comes. (But it'll be based on the previous contests)
- Your map must be submitted by Nov 10th at 7pm EST.
- If you are interested in judging, please contact me and I will add you to the list of potential judges. If chosen, I will contact you an adequate time ahead of the end of the contest to confirm that you are still interested and explain what you will be doing.
PrizesIf a winning team is a collaborative effort, the prizes will be split equally amongst the team members, except for the Lo-fi's and Medallions, which will be given to each of the team members. The same team cannot win prizes more than once, but individual people can, if they are part of different teams.
- First place, 500$ USD, 2 draws from Fr0z3n's game pool, Map makers medallion provided by TF2maps.net, Vintage Lofi Wave hat provided by KritzKast and a special surprise we're not just ready to announce!
- Second place, 300$ USD, 2 draws from Fr0z3n's game pool, Map Makers Medallion provided by TF2maps.net, Unique Lofi Wave hat provided by KritzKast and a special surprise we're not just ready to announce!
- Third Place, 200$ USD, 2 draws from Fr0z3n's game pool, Map Makers Medallion provided by TF2maps.net, Unique Lofi Wave hat provided by KritzKast and a special surprise we're not just ready to announce!
Frequently Asked Questions!Do I really need to destroy the mother ship?
Yes, you do, thats how the saucers are communicating with each other.
There's not really a lot of content to work with...
Well, at the moment there isn't. Starting off, you'll be given the Saucers and the Mothership placeholder models. As the contest progresses, more content will be provided (as it is made). That being said, you do not have to use JUST the content we provide. If you want to make your OWN content for your map, go for it! We're encouraging everyone to make their own content, hence the allowed collaboration rule.
Collaborations!? Really!? Do I have to work with others?
You can work with whoever you want, a friend, 2 friends, or if you're one of those people... no friends! Since this is a new rule, I will be monitoring teams and taking action if I feel they are too big. Prizes are split evenly between all members in the case of a team win, so the more people on your team, the less each team-members gets.
Why... Why this contest?
Well, you'll have to wait and see what the coming weeks have in store...