My prop_details don't show when i compile my map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by arthurgps2, Feb 11, 2018.

1. arthurgps2

arthurgps2 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm having an issue, that it's kinda annoying. When i compile my map, the prop_detail entities do not show and i just don't know why. Another strange thing is that when i compile my map it doesn't open my portal file, i think this is related to the fact the prop details are not showing I've recently did some configs in my TF2 so it runs smoother, but i don't think thats the problem. Here's my log and screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/bKEws

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. Jasper The Blank

Jasper The Blank L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    your map is leaked, and a prop cannot be loaded because it needs to be compiled by another prop_ entity. Also where's the screenshots?

4. Midlou

Midlou L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    **** leaked ****
    Entity prop_static (-117.00 118.00 96.79) leaked!

You have a leak... Check the coords and fix.

And you need to use prop_dynamic for the lamps.

5. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    Skittlelz, i left an imgur link to the image

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Also, very important thing, you shouldn't be using prop_detail. prop_static is the main entity you use when placing a general prop. Sometimes you'll use prop_dynamic for animated props. prop_detail is generated by the engine (it's the detail sprites on grass, generally), not something you ever use.

7. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    Crash, I'm actually using prop_details for the stairs as you can see in the image. Then i added an invisible ramp on the stairs to avoid gameplay issues, just like you told in the mapping tutorials

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  8. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    So i was looking for leaks in my map and i just found this one... I don't know what is this... just look at it

[​IMG]

9. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
  10. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    nvm...i've fixed the leak by myself

sorry for taking your time ._.

11. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, so i fixed all the leaks in my map, but it's till not fixed. What should i do now?

omg this thread is getting so messy

12. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Your stairs should be func_detail not prop_detail

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    You can edit your posts by clicking edit :>

Also I believe you either missunderstood Crash or you mixed some entities up. What are you using for the stair? prop_static or prop_detail? You will never use prop_detail, they have to be prop_static.

Freyja is also wrong because he thought you are talking about a brush-entity. A prop can't be func_detail, nor can brush entities be a prop_detail so I guess everyone in this thread is quite confused today.

EDIT: oh and about the lantern props, those aren't compatible with prop_static. You can check this in the model browser. The lanterns have to be used with prop_dynamic. I recommend disabling their shadows too because unlike prop_static they throw dynamic shadows which can look out of place.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    Lampenpam, I'm using prop_detail for both stairs and lanterns, and i added an invisible brush in the stairs to avoid that trumbling camera effect while going upstairs. Oh... and not only those prop_detail entities are not showing, but ALL the prop_detail entities in my map are not showing.

15. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    So i just found this in my log. Hope this help you solve my problem:

16. Jasper The Blank

Jasper The Blank L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    use prop_dynamic for the lanterns, because that's the prop entity it only works with.

17. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Don't use prop_detail, as Crash said earlier it's used by the engine to place tufts of grass etc on terrain. Use prop_static.

And yes, the lantern needs to be prop_dynamic.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. arthurgps2

Positive Ratings:
    I can't understand... Wouldn't it increase the leaves in my map ,resulting in fps lowering?

19. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun over my dead body

Positive Ratings:
    Props, or any entity for that matter, won't cut vvis. Only World Brushes will make cuts. (There might be an obscure exception, but I've never run into it in my 7+ of mapping.)

A quick guide to props:
    Use prop_static for all props that don't move and are stationary.

Use prop_dynamic for props that you either need to name, have animate, or move.

Use prop_physics_multiplayer for props that you want players to shoot at, like beer bottles for example.

Some models only show up when matched with the correct prop type. There should be a tab that tells you which types you can use a model for in the model browser.

That's why prop_detail doesn't work. The prop models don't support it. Change all of those unmoving props to prop_static and your moving/animated ones to prop_dynamic and it will work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I have two disagrees and no explaination why, despite everything being correct in my comment. Cool.

It would be nice to use the disagree rating while explaining what is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
Tags: