Is there a real way to compile a bsp?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by lunarpumpkin, Sep 1, 2016.

1. lunarpumpkin

lunarpumpkin L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    there is no documentation on a way to compile a bsp properly anywhere on the internet, not even valve's wiki

the closest one is pakrat but even then that thing wont add particles and half the textures of my models into my bsp

2. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. The Letter Before A

The Letter Before A Cool Idiot

Positive Ratings:
    compile pal i the only functional packing tool.
    Good thing its also really well programmed

4. lunarpumpkin

Positive Ratings:
    tried it, nothing got imported

5. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    You have to check a box or it won't pack.
    Yes, it's called packing, not compiling. You compile a vmf and you pack a bsp.

6. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Check the "Run on compile" box and CompilePal should pack in all relevant files when you compile your map.

If you've already compiled your map and want to pack things in afterwards, VIDE can do that.
    EDIT: You can also run the map through with everything but Pack deselected, though I haven't tested it myself.

Pakrat and VIDE are still perfectly functional; their auto-detect functions are just less developed. In addition, CompilePal doesn't have any tools for actually viewing/modifying the pak lump, you just check a box and assume it works.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  7. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    Apparently deselecting all the compile options and only leaving "Pack" checked will pack the associated BSP without recompiling.

8. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    It should by logic.
    Look, you uncheck VBSP.exe, so it doesn't generate a new BSP. Since the other programs need a BSP, they will use the existing one, and the part of CPal which does the packing will take the existing BSP too.

9. lunarpumpkin

Positive Ratings:
    wheni do full build , it crash with cubemaps but when i try to pack with cubemap , nothing happen

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016