Detail Mini-Contest 2014

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
I think it's funny how last month we were all crying about how the tf2maps community couldn't give proper feedback and now we're crying about Valve failed to give proper feedback. It might just be a thing that people have trouble doing.

Anyway, back on topic people. grazr, hadn't it always been 4000x4000 or did Aly change it for this contest?

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
The 3D skybox has to be within the normal bounds of the contest (4096 x 4096 HU), but since there is no limit on height, you can place the skybox over or under the rest of the map.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I see people uploading WIPs so I thought why not do it too. It's obviously far from finished, but I think I'm on the right path. I think I did well as a first time mapper.
filedetails

Oh, and question: is HDR compiling necessary?

Probably :|

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Why the :| face? I don't mind it, it's just something to take into consideration with the final compile so I know it will take a bit longer.

I think it's best you put in HDR. Even if it is unnecessary, some of these mappers have a REALLY keen eye. It will hurt your score.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Any size limits on the file size? I'm already at 20 MB (I hate you blurry shadows, everybody bloody hates you), before lightmap optimization (doing this for myself just to get rid of the long compile times), before packing custom stuff and compressing (not that it's much custom content) it to a .bz2 file.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
So when will the voting thread be up? Right after the submission period is over?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I thought the deadline was Jan 1?

Well, there goes my sub.

Aly and I had a (rather heated) discussion about the deadline last night. While I can definitely sympathize with you for being caught off guard by the timing, in the future, make sure to figure out when the deadline is in your timezone well in advance.

For people who host contests in the future, keep in mind that listing a particular day as a deadline leads people to anticipate the contest finishing on that actual day (regardless of timezone). In the instance of this contest, for example, Dec 31st 23:59 would've been a better end time, as the contest would end on Dec 31st regardless of your timezone.

No offense to Aly, of course - nobody anticipated the deadline being an issue until it became a very immediate issue. At least now we know!

EDIT: Also you should totally extend the deadline by another day or something! I know you're upset about people complaining even thought it's technically their fault, but I also know there's a lot of people upset wasting all the effort they put into their maps, and this can still be fixed.

Last edited: