Detail Mini-Contest 2014

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
This was the last detail mini-contest for those who need inspiration
(also my first showcase video for the site)

Last edited by a moderator:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The 3dskybox also having to be within the bounds seems a bit redundant since you can scale it above the default 16:1. Having the 3dskybox set to 4096 doesn't actually impose any limit on the size of the 3dskybox appearence ingame.

Although it would have been amusing to not mention this and for everyone to go "wtf, this one entries 3dskybox is huge and awesome, how is it even within the bounds". Although you would be kinda stuck for props which haven't been scaled for anything larger than 16:1.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Although it would have been amusing to not mention this and for everyone to go "wtf, this one entries 3dskybox is huge and awesome, how is it even within the bounds".

Should see what I did for my entry last year:

jEr5XN7.jpg

Ns47aFv.jpg

we've had model scaling for quite a while now :p tho its a bit of a pain to use

Yeah I found that out scaling up the UFO model in watergate - I don't know exactly how it works, but it doesn't work by just scaling the model that many times over:

diwsXKi.png

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

I really liked what I had done last time, in terms of the whole exploration thing.

Maybe I'll do it again this year, but damn am I sick of TF2 detailing :p

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014

Ummm... you know I have a very creative mind, I have an excellent idea, and I'm already a pretty artistic soul. With all this in mind I figured I could AT LEAST give the competition a run for their money.

After seeing this, I choked on my nerves and vomited out ostriches.

Yeah, after seeing the entries that DIDN'T make it into the top four, I realized what I'm actually dealing with. I'm really gonna have to step up my game if I want to be on par with the course.

Meh. I'm gonna let this be a lesson for myself: Never underestimate map-makers. Hopefully I'll know how to get on the same level as everyone else by New year's.

BigBros

L3: Member
Aug 20, 2014
Well I have successfully no-lifed it for the last day and a half - and I have literally got no-where...

Going to restart. :v

One and a half days well spent :D

Sep 7, 2012
Brushwork windowframes with I-beam textures would probably be better off as models, or at least with a metal frame texture instead.

Someone had the time to get concrete anchors and board up the broken window, but not pick up the old window on the ground?

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Brushwork windowframes with I-beam textures would probably be better off as models, or at least with a metal frame texture instead.

Someone had the time to get concrete anchors and board up the broken window, but not pick up the old window on the ground?

Video game logic.

It looks more busted up this way.

Sep 7, 2012
You're supposed to make it walk-around-able but you can always cheat. Just put a little box with a window that the player spawns in and can't get out of and build your scene relative to that. You probably won't get full marks though.

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
You're supposed to make it walk-around-able but you can always cheat. Just put a little box with a window that the player spawns in and can't get out of and build your scene relative to that. You probably won't get full marks though.

Thanks. I couldn't tell from some of the screenshots if it would cover multiple angles.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
You children are going to die, :sneaky2: I will reign supreme maybe probably actually not...... :crying:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Question: Can I post my map before it's done, because so far I'm about 65-80% of it being completed. Just wondering.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
You can share it all you want and however you want. However the submission thread won't be up for a few more weeks yet. (Christmas day basically)