Detail Mini-Contest 2014

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Well, now that my horrific incident of depression is over, I was thinking about taking the feedback I was given and using it to remake and/or improve upon what I already have, and port it to SFM.

And also maybe adding a variant for when the building was still fresh and new.

Anyone else thinking of improving their entry? Just for the heck of it?

Give it your all so that I have absolutely no one to put on my "List of entries this community thinks are inferior to a player trapped in an oil barrel rolling down a hill" that I'll invariably make for the next detailing entry!

BTW, I'm holding you to that.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
So, I loaded up everyone's map in SFM and decided to make a wallpaper out of them, with added depthofField

Here it is: http://imgur.com/a/wZmDu

Some previews:
EsS7l3l.jpg

nPS2pJJ.jpg

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
So, I loaded up everyone's map in SFM and decided to make a wallpaper out of them, with added depthofField

Here it is: http://imgur.com/a/wZmDu

Some previews:
EsS7l3l.jpg

nPS2pJJ.jpg

2 questions:
1: I want to release my detail map for sfm steam workshop. Since you have the only publishable one with cubemaps compatible with SFM, can I have the recompiled version of the map?
2: On that note, can I use the wallpaper you made for the workshop page?

TTLego

L1: Registered
Jan 17, 2015
Hiya, I saw your post on reddit about this amazing project which has taken place, and wondered if the maps would ever be publicly downloadable, as I would love to be able to import these into Source Filmmaker and use them, with the creators permissions of course.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Hiya, I saw your post on reddit about this amazing project which has taken place, and wondered if the maps would ever be publicly downloadable, as I would love to be able to import these into Source Filmmaker and use them, with the creators permissions of course.

If you come across my map you find that it's very limited for anything useful. I had to cut a lot of stuff away in order to meet the contest's 4096x4096 size limit so there are some obvious things missing. I'm already planning a SFM specific map for this that will be uploaded to the SFM Workshop eventually (Valve time) that is a LOT bigger with a LOT more room for filming.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014

Unfortunately, Fantasmos has the only publishable version of a lot of our maps.

Also, I would rather upload it to the workshop myself. Something about the sentimentality of completing the circle. Thanks anyway though.

We're trying to forget that.

I was talking about the video. Not the update.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014

Like a few others have said, I have plans to polish my entry a little more, so when I get around to that I'll add it to the workshop myself.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
So, a lot of people have been asking to download these maps, so I'm asking for those who have submitted if I can have their permission to repost their maps as apart of an "sfm map pack" of the sorts (With the HDR'd versions) hopefully it'll gain traction and stuff. Credit will still be yours and all that as your maps are kinda named after each of you.

Killo, if you have a new version, i'd love to have that in it, but I understand if you'd just want your current version, or none at all since it's your own thing.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
So, a lot of people have been asking to download these maps, so I'm asking for those who have submitted if I can have their permission to repost their maps as apart of an "sfm map pack" of the sorts (With the HDR'd versions) hopefully it'll gain traction and stuff. Credit will still be yours and all that as your maps are kinda named after each of you.

Killo, if you have a new version, i'd love to have that in it, but I understand if you'd just want your current version, or none at all since it's your own thing.

Again, is it alright if I post it to the workshop myself? I really like the feel of the sentimentality of completing the cycle. It's basically all the work I put into it led to that moment. It wouldn't be the same if someone else uploaded it, if you understand.

Mar 23, 2013
Again, is it alright if I post it to the workshop myself? I really like the feel of the sentimentality of completing the cycle. It's basically all the work I put into it led to that moment. It wouldn't be the same if someone else uploaded it, if you understand.

my thoughts until I found out I'd have to download the SFM again. too lazy for that =A=

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014

I'm gonna make an SFM ready version of my map anyway that's a lot more useful to people than it is right now. You can do it, I just think the current version is useless outside from some interior shots. I need to make it feel a whole lot bigger (and make it a whole lot bigger).

TheoF114

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2013
So, a lot of people have been asking to download these maps, so I'm asking for those who have submitted if I can have their permission to repost their maps as apart of an "sfm map pack" of the sorts

I'm ok with this, as long as credit is given wherever it's due

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013