Detail Mini-Contest 2014

Apr 14, 2013
Ok, if it's up to me then I might do it, but only after I finish eveything.
And while I'm at it I'll post a picture as well.
47D7ED4427FF7B53A89C41629338CB9481361316

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Hey! Another screenshot:
EB69373A5A681E75AF81360F910971B914BCFA93

I think I over-colorized the appearance a little bit, especially for the theme.
I was experimenting with the lighting at the time

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Question:
When you say it has to be TF2 themed... do you mean it just has to use TF2 textures?
I want to make a santa's workshop for my second entry.

Also, my first project is basically done... so I want to feel like I'm doing something.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... I could probably just slap on a sign over santa's so that it looks like Merasmus's workshop.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
'T is gonna be fun as a first-time mapper. Not that I'm not familiar with the horrendously outdated Hammer interface, I know how to make a basic map. This will be a good starting point, as no game logic is required. Oh well. I'll see what my brain can come up with. Hopefully something good.

Also, hi there TF2maps. I'm cubemap. Nice to meet you people.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2013
Can you collaborate with someone on a detail map?

And how important is the sound part? Since soundscapes are kinda going silly right now

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Question:
When you say it has to be TF2 themed... do you mean it just has to use TF2 textures?
I want to make a santa's workshop for my second entry.

Also, my first project is basically done... so I want to feel like I'm doing something.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... I could probably just slap on a sign over santa's so that it looks like Merasmus's workshop.

I already answered this question a few pages ago. It just means stick with TF2's art style. Make a map that looks like it fits with the other tf2 maps, not a HL2 or CSGO map.

Can you collaborate with someone on a detail map?

No.

And how important is the sound part? Since soundscapes are kinda going silly right now

This is explained in the main post. As important as you think it should be. Players are the ones voting, it's their experience they vote on.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Well, I was going to make maps for TF2 but EotL completely ruined that dream. Guess I'll uninstall the Source SDK then.

Good luck people with this contest. Have fun with this game while it lasts.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
tumblr_inline_mtlgioDs0C1r8yaog.gif

You gotta explain this one

You have a great map that plays very well and then Valve decides to throw it in the toilet 'because it is too complicated'.

So it's almost impossible to make a great map without sticking to the Dustbowl/2Fort formula.

Oh well. Guess I'll keep on making maps that have no purpose other than to look pretty. Guess I'll be doing this contest after all.

Sweepertank

L2: Junior Member
Oct 4, 2014
You have a great map that plays very well and then Valve decides to throw it in the toilet 'because it is too complicated'.

So it's almost impossible to make a great map without sticking to the Dustbowl/2Fort formula.

Oh well. Guess I'll keep on making maps that have no purpose other than to look pretty. Guess I'll be doing this contest after all.

It seems to me that you're saying two things:

1. Valve only accepts badly designed maps- Look at custom official maps like Process, Gullywash, and Snakewater, just to name a few. All of these maps have been heavily praised for their design, by both Valve and the community.

2. Whether or not Valve likes the map's design determines if the map is good or not- Not necessarily true, as demonstrated from Snowplow's removal from the update.

Everyone can agree that Snowplow should have been made official. Valve screwed up. But you really shouldn't let one update ruin mapping for you. If everyone mapped for the sole purpose of being accepted by Valve, then this community wouldn't exist.
There are maybe 3 or 4 maps in the showcase section that have ever been added by Valve, and so many other great maps that could be official that aren't even listed there. Valve can't add everything, and they can't agree with everything that people constitute as good design.

Sorry to divert the topic of the thread, but I feel that this had to be said.

Last edited: